Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strike tomorrow but i'm an apprentice...

Options
  • 05-07-2009 10:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi, i'm a bit confused about what i'm supposed to do tomorrow,when i started my apprenticeship in 2006 i joined the union.

I only started back in work last Monday after being out of work so i have no idea what's going on or what to do.

Do i need to join the picket or do i stay at home?

What's everyone else doing?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Jimmy5 wrote: »
    What's everyone else doing?

Nixers I'd say :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

I'm disappointed with your fully qualified colleagues for not talking to you about the strike and how it affects you before now.

HOWEVER

Unless they changed the law I think you need to report for work as usual.

Apprentices used to be (and probably still are!) banned by law from striking.

You shouldn't picket and you shouldn't stay at home either. Therefore you will probably have to pass the picket.

This should be understood by the guys on the picket line. Talk to them and ask them for advice on what sort of work you can do alone (and what to do if you are asked to do anything that they feel you shouldn't do alone).

It's possible that your employer might decide to send you home for the day if you shouldn't be working unsupervised, but that is his decision not yours!

When I faced a similar situation 20yrs ago, I had to go into work and as I wasn't a 4th yr apprentice I was not permitted to do any actual work unsupervised so it was a long couple of days of sitting around doing nothing. I couldn't ever sweep the workshop as that was a ITGWU job.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Unless they changed the law I think you need to report for work as usual.
    Correct.
    Therefore you will probably have to pass the picket.
    This should not be an issue so long as you make it clear you are an apprentice.

Advertisement