Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours tree

Options
  • 05-07-2009 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi all,

My paernts neighbour has a huge really old tree in the front garden. I dont know what sort of tree it is. The thing is taller than the houses. And up untill 5 years ago it was twice the size of the houses.

The roots of this thing are destorying the garden. Breaking up the ground and what not. But the other day a huge branch fell out of the tree. If anybody had of been there when it fell, they would be stone dead. We have asked her again to cut it down but she is having none of it:(.

Is there anybody else i can go to and get them to force her to take down as we see this as a danger to us.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

If i were you, i'd get an Arborist to give your parents a professional report on the tree, if it is decline and a major threat to lives/property. However you would have to seek permission from tree owners for the arborist to take a closer look at it and perhaps he/she would recommend trimming it etc. I would approach the neighbours in a reasonable manner, is there animosity between the neighbours and your parents?
    Also if any of the trees branches are over hanging your parents property, you are, as far as I was told, entitled to cut them down, but must return any branches/debris back to the owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭mcmc

Cheers LobsterLady,

There is no bad blood between my folks and her. My dad does alot of work in her garden for her as she is old and alone (and does NOT get paid for it). My father is no spring chicken either!

I dont see why my folks should pay for anything to do with this tree. Many years ago they were willing to pay to get it taken down but she was having none of it then either. She knows its a danger to people and to her and my parents house.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Your neighbour obviously is attached to this tree, and for someone to tell her to chop it down, this would only make her dig her heels in. In order to get it taken down, it must be proven that this is a necessary action, and unfortunately you would have to pay for this report to prove that it must be removed. If the report does prove it's a danger, then it would be up to the owner to get it removed. It would be a lot cheaper to get the report, than to pay for the tree taken down, in my opinion.
    We have a neighbours 100+ year old oak tree overhanging our house, I've been through all this:-) I love trees and wouldn't like any necessarily taken down. I was satisfied with the report we got, to leave the tree and check it in another 10-15 years. Some minor cutting back was carried out on it.
    Anyhow, best of luck with the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭mcmc

Thanks for the advice LobsterLady:)

Advertisement