Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batt O'Keefe ready to propose college deferred loan scheme

Options
  • 05-07-2009 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

FROM NUI GALWAY STUDENTS' UNION:

The Minister for Education Batt O'Keeffe is expected to recommend a deferred-loan system for students to cover the cost of their third-level education, bringing an end to fee-free college.

The new system is similar to that which operates in Australia.

Mr O'Keeffe says his proposals, which will be given to ministers this week for consideration, has been family-proofed.

A decision is not expected until September with a new student contribution system coming into effect in autumn of next year.

NUI Galway Students' Union are extremely disappointed to hear that Minister O'Keefe is preparing to end free third-level education in this country. We will work with the other Student Unions and USI to oppose this regressive move that will damage this country's chances of economic recovery for years to come.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭lumpwood

'Family Proofed'...hardly. This was pretty inevitable really but its such a shame, so much for a smart economy. Smart but broke!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Woohoo, more debt to saddle the people with.

Is there a country that has got university fees right? Could we not just copy a model that works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

i tink dats a good idea actually ... at least we dont have to pay them now like ... in fairness the reintroduction of fees was inevitable ,, this is very fair in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

How exactly does this work? like, do we begin paying it back one we are employed or just once we graduate? I mean.. theres no garauntee of a job once we graduate..

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

Is there a country that has got university fees right? Could we not just copy a model that works?
    America has the best Universities, why not copy theirs? But wait until next year when I graduate, ok?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

How exactly does this work? like, do we begin paying it back one we are employed or just once we graduate? I mean.. theres no garauntee of a job once we graduate..

In the UK you get the loan then pay it back after you start earning £15,000. So if you don't get a job straight away you'll not have to start repaying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

lumpwood wrote: »
    'Family Proofed'...hardly.
    The real definition of family-proofed is "unlikely to cause mass outrage by heavily indebted parents".
    It's worse than just fees. In my experience there tends not to be a middle ground in student loan situations. Someone who might typically leave college broke will now leave college far more heavily in debt that they would have managed if they had to pay the fees up front.
    rivalius13 wrote: »
    America has the best Universities, why not copy theirs? But wait until next year when I graduate, ok?
    I wouldn't joke. Behind closed doors a lot of University senior management would like to see things go that way here as it has the potential to push a lot more money through their doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

rivalius13 wrote: »

Yeah, but the US is crazily expensive as regards 3rd level education. The cheapest you'll get is 5000$ a semester; prestigious universities like Yale cost around 50,000$. No thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

If they do this we may still have a smart economy in the future but we certainly won't have a third level system that is open to everyone! With students having to pay more moeny they will certainly think twice before going for the course they really want and will think more about which 3rd level institution is the cheapest to go to!
    We may still have a lot a people who are skilled but we won't have as many people that are passionate about what they do.

I just hope that if this goes ahead that in two years time when the general election comes around that all future, present and past 3rd level students remember what fianna fail and the greens did and especially what batt o'keefe did.

I also heard while listening to the radio today that in another country that implemented this kind of fee payment system people just got a job in another country and never came back to work there so that they wouldn't have to pay the hefty fee's.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

The Cool wrote: »
    Yeah, but the US is crazily expensive as regards 3rd level education. The cheapest you'll get is 5000$ a semester; prestigious universities like Yale cost around 50,000$. No thanks!!
    Well, yea, it's expensive, which is why it's the best. Universities are a lot like cocaine in that sense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement