Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning to Zuiderzee from Makikomi - Mod in Military

Options
  • 05-07-2009 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

On raising an issue in relation to a neutrality posting in the Military section of boards.ie I am told it is not the place to mention this topic.

However a quick search in the forum gives 48 postings that have the topic covered in one way or another.

There is nothing in the forum charter proscribing the discussion of Neutrality.

Additionally, despite the forums charter which I urged amendment of in November 2008 there are still active threads encouragig recruitment into Armies outside of Ireland that have recieved no warnings, no yellow cards and no threats of bans or suspensions.

As a loyal, long term boards.ie user I would like some clarifcation on why a topic discouraged is allowed to continue, and why one of which there has been no mention in the charter is suddenly not allowed?

Surely Nuetrality is a military issue?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Have you dropped a PM to the Mod to discuss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

No, there seems no point when such arbitary barring is suddenly taking place.

To be honest, with the departure of Hagar as mod, there has been a substantive move to the right.

Topics such as raising awareness of the UKs drive to recruit more people from the republic to the UKs armed forces, despite the charters amendment to stop this type of post - the expousing of the use of mercenaries to sort out africas problems and other topics of this nature make me feel uncomfortable

I belive I will need to consider my further participation at boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Apart from digiweb hosting the boards.ie site, what does your status as a digiweb customer and your satisfaction or lack of satisfaction as a digiweb customer got to do with the complaint? That part kind of confuses me.

Fair enough with regards to digiweb - sorry - confused the issue - post1 edited - PM sent.
    Ignore that.

On Beruthiel's advice I did drop a PM - and Beruthiel may remember me when I tried to help when an issue became a problem in the surfing section.

Main complaints are

1) With no mention of the Neutrality in the forum charter there is a lack of clarity.
    I my opinion, neutrality and the Irish military and state are very closley linked.
    As an aside there is - conversley - despite an ammendment to the charter in November 08 - continued postings raising awareness of the UK militaries recruitment drive in the Republic of Ireland. This is a disregard of the current charter. There is no balance or reference to the charter at the moment.

2) The banning of a user as oposed to moving a thread to what may be a more suitable subforum - as has been done many times in the past - would have been a more agreeable action as opposed to the arbitary and irrational barring for a tounge in cheek remark.
    upthedub is not someone I know, and whom I am most often on the other side of the arguement, but the action against him was heavy handed and unnecessary

3) The last posting by the moderator was judgemental and abrasive, verging on insulting.
    I am a strong supporter of an enhanced Irish Military, but also an independent military policy.
    As other postings will show I have always been in favour of a reduced army and enhanced naval service and air corps.
    Right I'm closing this thread while I consider some bannings.

Z, consider this a very stern warning here.

I won't tolerate you putting it up to me here. You've been warned about bringing this thread off topic by discussing a political issue in it.

I will not allow that otherwise I'll have every crack pot hippy feel they can come here to this forum and bring every thread off topic with their anti-military BS.

I've no idea what YOUR agenda is, but your cards are truely marked with me here.

You know where you can bring any issue's you have with the Moderators on this military forum to, use it and use it well.

LOCKED.

OP, sorry it had to be done.

Some people think this forum is overly Moderated, I'll make it tight as a camels arse in a sand storm with a firm but firm hand from here on in.
    Last edited by Makikomi; Yesterday at 20:07.

[quote/]

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

(cheers for the PM re digiweb by the way)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Zuiderzee
    Do you have any links to the points you have made above?

The banning of a user as opposed to moving a thread to what may be a more suitable subforum seems more than a tad harsh and I would be interested to see examples of that.

Thanks.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Zuiderzee

The banning of a user as opposed to moving a thread to what may be a more suitable subforum seems more than a tad harsh and I would be interested to see examples of that.

Thanks.

Example of thread moved from Military to politics of war:

1) Discussion on poll about potential Afghan deployment of Irish PDF
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055440444

=================
    Examples of boards.ie being used currently as a recruiting tool for overseas forces - in contravention of foum charter

07:30 today
    From: British Army to launch recruitment campaign in Republic
    Zambia232 wrote: »
    I helped the BA in the North recruit people from the South and I used this very Forum, maybe I shouldnt have. Fact is if you buy a FHM mag in Dublin you will see a BA advert and have done for years , as well as the SUN newspaper etc.

This is a Military Forum I see no issue with any military input from any source. The PDF can no longer facilitate the wishes of Irish Young men and women to serve in the armed forces, so its only natural they join foreign forces.

Yesterday 21:00
    Southern Irish in British army ?
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055612504

01-04-2009 Advice on joining Legion Etranger
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055527635

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Zuiderzee

Thanks.

Why should I move a thread (not intended as a discussion on our neutrality) to a political forum just because from the 'get on' another member brings the thread off topic?.

Had that thread been a thread on the politics of American or UK aircraft landing in Baldonnel then it would have been moved with a redirect left in place.

Other than that I dealth with it as a thread being brought off topic, the member warned and disregarded that warning.

Had this happened in AH or a host of other forum here on boards.ie I can bet my ass 'upthedubs' would have been banned for alot longer than 48hrs!.

In other forum which I moderate on I'd usually soft delete this type of post and get in touch with the member via a PM informing them the post has been deleted and I'd let the thread move it, even with the benfit of hindsight I'm happy enough with my decision to warn 'upthedubs' followed by a 48hr banning.

Lets be clear, my initial posting was a comment expressing my opinion that the suspension of upthedub was irrational.

There were other posters - Boston - who dragged in Neutrality again and again, dragging out the thread - and to whom I had to answer, he was not warned in any way was he?

In dealing with a posting - if you felt the issue was not relavent you could have split and/or moved to politics of war.
    That is what any reasonable mod would do.
    Why should you? because you agreed to be a mod here at boards. I would not ban or suspend out of hand when there is a sub-forum in place for this very contingency.

Now, I try to disagree without being disagreeable but there are currently three complaints about you at this helpdesk - that is I believe a reflection on your performance as a mod at this point in time.

Your arbitary actions and the abusive tones of your postings do not engender any confidence in your ability or the way you are handling the forum at this point in time, nor does it generate any respect.

A charter is in place and you are ignoring established guidelines, making new ones up and adding further provisos at will.

With regards the latest amendment to the charter in relation to going off topic - this was added yesterday - July 5th - after my complaint to the help desk - showing a continued arbitary, unbalanced and irrational approach to moderation.
    Its also very vague, and the charter post title has not been updated to inform regular users of the change.

One provision in the charter is that personal abuse will not be tolerated
    I find being associated with - as you put it - crack pot hippy anti-military BS - abrasive and insulting.

Another recent complaint against you as a mod in the dublin city forum is that you constantly refer to people as vermin, cretins and give warnings for people who do not agree with such descriptions.

Personally I find your comment about my 'agenda' and my cards being truely marked with you abusive and threatening.

Again in reference to the charter in place there is nothing about neutrality guidelines in the charter, so the banning is in my considered and experienced opinion immature, arbitary, heavy handed and an over reaction.
    A quick search shows at least 48 postings in the military section relating to Neutrality.
    Have you warned or barred every one of them?

Conversly, there is the amendment to the charter 15th November 2008 barring the promotion of recruitment programs for any military force outside the Irish Republic.
    This been blatantly transgressed by others and allowed or ignored by you.

Again, I wish to be clear - I do not know upthedub - who is normally on the otherside of debates, his attitudes to certain topics are some with which I would strongly disagree -but I feel you have treated a long term and well regarded user unfairly.

Advertisement