Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charges on Credit card I never knew I had

Options
  • 05-07-2009 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Last Friday while querying some withdrawls on my account I discovered that firstly I had a secret credit card for the last five years I knew nothing about, secondly I was being charged for it, and thirdly my bank (the same bank which issued me the card) was fining me bouncing the paymnt on the card, because there was no money in my account.

Ao the facts are these. Yes I did apply for a cc with BOI, filled out mandate, etc, etc. I was in full time employment and making resonable money. However my application was turned doen on the grounds that my account was still a student account. So I contacted my bank changed it and reapplyed. In the mean time I was issued a card with MBNA.
    I contacted BOI, told them I no longer wanted a BOI CC. I was advised to cut the card up and return it, Which I duly did, and thought no more about it. At around about the same time. I moved home.

When I spoke with the bank on friday I was informed that I had incurred a charge on the card from the goverment levey on CC. The card had never been cancceled and I have been making a payment of €12.50 every month for the past four years on this CC. The address on the account is different to my address from four years ago. So I have never seen a staement in all this time.

I know I should of been checking my statements more carefully. But has anyone any idea what recoures I have open to me. I have incurred charges and penalties on a card I cancelled five years ago. I dont expect to get any money back from BOI. But will I have to pay the outstanding balance on the card ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

fiveyears wrote: »
    Last Friday while querying some withdrawls on my account I discovered that firstly I had a secret credit card for the last five years I knew nothing about, secondly I was being charged for it, and thirdly my bank (the same bank which issued me the card) was fining me bouncing the paymnt on the card, because there was no money in my account.

Ao the facts are these. Yes I did apply for a cc with BOI, filled out mandate, etc, etc. I was in full time employment and making resonable money. However my application was turned doen on the grounds that my account was still a student account. So I contacted my bank changed it and reapplyed. In the mean time I was issued a card with MBNA.
    I contacted BOI, told them I no longer wanted a BOI CC. I was advised to cut the card up and return it, Which I duly did, and thought no more about it. At around about the same time. I moved home.

When I spoke with the bank on friday I was informed that I had incurred a charge on the card from the goverment levey on CC. The card had never been cancceled and I have been making a payment of €12.50 every month for the past four years on this CC. The address on the account is different to my address from four years ago. So I have never seen a staement in all this time.

I know I should of been checking my statements more carefully. But has anyone any idea what recoures I have open to me. I have incurred charges and penalties on a card I cancelled five years ago. I dont expect to get any money back from BOI. But will I have to pay the outstanding balance on the card ?

They should not change the stamp duty if the card was not used in the relevant year.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭maxim

As far as I know you will be charged duty whether you use the card or not. You have to CANCEL the card with the issuer, and request written confirmation of this, just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I remember when they first charged the credit card duty, people were seeing this charge on credit cards they hadn't used in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 fiveyears

I cancelled the card over the phone, then cut it up and returned it. The card was never activated

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Over the phone is no good, it should have been done in writing.

There's not point stropping out at them at this stage, because at the end of the day it does come down to you following these things up.

Write a simple, but clear letter to the bank advising them of what happened, and that you were not aware of the card being still in existance - and that indeed you had long moved so had no idea about it's existance, or the statements. If you've been paying €12.50 a month for so many years, that should at least cover any stamp duty charges - but again, check that out with them.

Outline what you would like to happen, and ask for a written response. See what happens from there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement