Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am i wasting my time?

• 05-07-2009 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I am currently doing a teaching degree in Mater Dei in History and Religion however there seems to be a shortage of teaching jobs?Am i wasting my time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭kob29

Well there's a shortage of all types of jobs, so if you're wasting your time then so is everyone else educating themself.

Teaching is far from a 'walk into a job' gig at the moment, but as i said nothing is bar the gardai!!

Id complete the degree, do a masters maybe in the likes of career guidance if the job situation is still tough when you finish. Either way you can expect to be subbing and on part time hours for a couple of years while you get experience and build a cv, just as you would in any gig.

So chin up!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Enright

If its what you want to do, get your qualifications and go for it.

The better qualifications you have the better chance you will have getting established later on, worst case a degree is worthwhile investment

best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭dublintuition

If anything, the current situation should be telling you that you are absolutely doing the right thing!!

Every profession is taking a hit, you can't get away from that no matter where you are, but teaching is one profession the country will always need, as it is the law that children are taught formally until a certain age (17 afaik)

While it may be harder to find a job at the moment, I can't think of a profession that would be any easier right now.

You're only doing the wrong thing if your initial choice to teach is down to money:rolleyes:, holidays, security. You really have to want to teach in order to not turn into a miserable crank before you're 30!!

Advertisement