Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car is not a turbo, Axa say otherwise

• 05-07-2009 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭

I was just hunting for quotes for the brother who has a 91 Golf 1.6 diesel. On the AXA site you have to enter the reg number and it auto completes the cars details. They seem to think it is a turbo when it is clearly not.

Other sites that ask for the number such as QD correctly identity it as a CL Diesel 3 door and not a turbo.

Is there any point arguing with them or is it a case of computer says no? How are they getting their info so wrong?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

No point arguing, I know my boss bought a new Laguna 1.6 diesel and went to renew with quinn direct, they told him the car doesnt exist!! Despite him referring them to Renault Irelands website they still maintained this stance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

If it's a golf 1.6 TD or 1.6TDI then it has a turbo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

But it ain't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

ask for the no/address of their nearest assessor - get him to see it and confirm it to them directly. End of Story.

OTH, though, I'd be surprised if the presence/absence of turbo on that car would make so much as 1 cent of a difference to the price, tbh..........

somewhat to the old 180/225 VAG debate, which now are rated the same.

You might be fretting over nothing - in the end, they could admit it hasn't got a turbo........and still ask for 'turbo' money.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

There is a difference of €300 between the two.

• Advertisement

...odd, that.

Why not just go with the 300-less quote ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

He is just shopping around at the moment. Of course he will go with the cheapest.

I just thought it was strange that 2 companies using reg number lookup to get 2 totally different results for the car.

No point arguing, I know my boss bought a new Laguna 1.6 diesel and went to renew with quinn direct, they told him the car doesnt exist!! Despite him referring them to Renault Irelands website they still maintained this stance.

...can't say I blame them: the new Laguna is either a 1.5 or a 2.0. Even on Renault's site.....

Can you show me the link to a 1.6 diesel Laguna ?

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Same happened with my fathers Passat in May at renewal. One company said it was SDI and other companies had the correct details. Didn';t bother arguing but if it was me I'd tell them they were wrong etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Bond-007 wrote: »
    He is just shopping around at the moment. Of course he will go with the cheapest.

I just thought it was strange that 2 companies using reg number lookup to get 2 totally different results for the car.

that is s good point...

On this they got cought, and how many times they are not?

btw we are talking about mk2 gold i guess, and they were 1.6 diesels. Turbo diesels are prety "young" animals...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The Mk4 was available in non-turbo SDI form too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I was just hunting for quotes for the brother who has a 91 Golf 1.6 diesel. On the AXA site you have to enter the reg number and it auto completes the cars details. They seem to think it is a turbo when it is clearly not.

Other sites that ask for the number such as QD correctly identity it as a CL Diesel 3 door and not a turbo.

Is there any point arguing with them or is it a case of computer says no? How are they getting their info so wrong?

I just checked mine. Car comes up as a Vector Sport when its only a Vector

QD it down as a Vector but wont quote me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I had some problems with my car showing up properly so I picked what I thought was the closest and then sent in a copy of my vehicle logbook for their underwriting department to confirm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

when i was on to quinn about my car i had to argue to get them to acknowledge that a kia sorento XS exists, (as opposed to the poverty spec EX that seems to be the only model in this country), eventually she asked what was the difference, i told her theres no performance difference and she let it through , really the difference is chrome sideskirts, premium audio, 18" alloys etc... but my policy says XS on it, so if i ever have a claim they cant say i have un-documented extras

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

When I was insured with Hibernian I rang them twice after they sent out the Ins Cert saying tdi (115) on it when i had clearly told them 150.

Twice they sent out the exact same cert. Gave up in the end and changed to Allianz this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

kearnsr wrote: »
    I just checked mine. Car comes up as a Vector Sport when its only a Vector

QD it down as a Vector but wont quote me

What!!! you've one of these ? Niiiiiccce :cool: but no wonder you didn't get a quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

btw we are talking about mk2 gold i guess, and they were 1.6 diesels. Turbo diesels are prety "young" animals...
    The Mk2 was available in both NA and turbocharged diesel versions, but almost all of the cars sold here would have been NA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How much is your insurance if the difference between a 1.6D (53hp) or a 1.6TD (69hp) is 300 quid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...can't say I blame them: the new Laguna is either a 1.5 or a 2.0. Even on Renault's site.....

Can you show me the link to a 1.6 diesel Laguna ?
    I thought the same. They did have a 2.2 diesel too, but dunno if they carried that over from the Laguna II to the III.

Never heard of a 1.6 diesel Laguna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Renault don't do a 1.6 diesel, Maybe he got a Citroen C5 and didn't realise :)

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    How much is your insurance if the difference between a 1.6D (53hp) or a 1.6TD (69hp) is 300 quid?
    Not my insurance now at all. It is the younger brothers.

Axa quoted €780 and Quinns quoted €420 odd. Currently paying €412 with RSA.

Advertisement