Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charges on Credit card I never knew I had

Options
  • 05-07-2009 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Last Friday while querying some withdrawls on my account I discovered that firstly I had a secret credit card for the last five years I knew nothing about, secondly I was being charged for it, and thirdly my bank (the same bank which issued me the card) was fining me bouncing the paymnt on the card, because there was no money in my account.

Ao the facts are these. Yes I did apply for a cc with BOI, filled out mandate, etc, etc. I was in full time employment and making resonable money. However my application was turned doen on the grounds that my account was still a student account. So I contacted my bank changed it and reapplyed. In the mean time I was issued a card with MBNA.
    I contacted BOI, told them I no longer wanted a BOI CC. I was advised to cut the card up and return it, Which I duly did, and thought no more about it. At around about the same time. I moved home.

When I spoke with the bank on friday I was informed that I had incurred a charge on the card from the goverment levey on CC. The card had never been cancceled and I have been making a payment of €12.50 every month for the past four years on this CC. The address on the account is different to my address from four years ago. So I have never seen a staement in all this time.

I know I should of been checking my statements more carefully. But has anyone any idea what recoures I have open to me. I have incurred charges and penalties on a card I cancelled five years ago. I dont expect to get any money back from BOI. But will I have to pay the outstanding balance on the card ?
    progress.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

I had a bit of a run in with BOI recently very different matter but over the counter I was getting a standard line that wasn't helping me. So I just said that they'd have to dig out all the paper work there and then to prove what I was being told was true otherwise and I'd just stand at the counter till it was sorted. What I wanted was proof that the Banks writen proceedures said the same as I'd just been told and after the cashier checked it turned out that she was only half right and what I had been asking for was part of the proceedure.

If you can't get anywhere with them then you have to start asking questions like what is the procedure when a Credit Card is returned to them. Then, why when no payments had been made in 5 years they hadn't already cancelled the card? They must have a written procedure for dealing with credit cards that arn't paid at the end of the month swtf were they doing letting a card ride for 60months? Or were you paying 12.50 into the account somehow each month?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thread closed as you already have a duplicate thread in Banking & Insurance & Pensions.

OP - please do not create duplicate threads in multiple forums.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement