Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

defrosting fish

Options
  • 05-07-2009 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

i have some lovely smoked haddock in the freezer. i need to be outta here in about an hour. can the fish be defrosted in the microwave or is it best left to another day????

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It can be defrosted in a microwave, but I'm not sure if it would mess with the texture.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,053 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

too late for now but for the next time; it will defrost quickly in a bag in a sink of cool water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

too late for now but for the next time; it will defrost quickly in a bag in a sink of cool water.
    great stuff, will keep that for future reference ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Fish is best cooked from frozen/semi frozen IMO.
    The reason is that the cell walls are ruptured in the freezing process and when you defrost the fish most of the juice runs away, this is the essence of the fish and a lot of the taste will go with the meltwater.
    I am not saying the fish should be cooked like a board, but not left to go completely thawed either, kind of an in between stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 joanbrent

Fish defrosts pretty quickly in general. I would either put it in a bowl or dish with a slow stream of cold water running over it, or I would put it on a metal surface, such as a baking sheet on the counter-- the heat transfer will increase on a metal surface and the defrost will happen relatively quickly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement