Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rambeling Kitten....advice needed!

Options
  • 05-07-2009 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi Guys

I got a beautifuly long awaiting kitten about 3 months ago and a month ago I finally let him out to discover the big wide world but he never seems to want to come home :( Most evenings if i dont go out to find him he doesnt come back! Can anyone tell me if this is typical of kittens, I never had this problem with my last cat. Hes 6 mths old and im having him spayed this week, hopefully that will make a difference :rolleyes:

Any ideas??!

:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

If he's six months, then he's becoming sexually mature. Keep him in until he's neutered and give him time to recover from the surgery. They can go for miles if it's heat season and they smell a female, and then theres a good chance he won't come home. Also, if you haven't already, it's best to ask your vet to microchip him while he's out, as if he does get lost, at least you have a chance of getting him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Leilahlily

Thanks a million for the advice. I thought that might be the case. He being spayed in the morning so hopefully that will keep him closer to home!

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

He might still want to be out and about when he's fixed, but he probably won't want to wander as far, and more importantly, probably won't get into as many fights as an entire male with other male cats. You won't see a difference overnight, his body will still be full of testosterone and it'll take a few months for that to subside after the surgery.
    Well done on taking the responsible step and having him neutered, and the microchip is also a very good idea. Sadly cats do tend to be overlooked when it comes to microchipping even though they're the ones more likely to be out and about by themselves.

Advertisement