Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LucasArts: Big Announcement Coming Monday.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

One hour guys!
    1 hour left. Now I must go through my email and sort out the 2600 emails from Twitter, then draft the perfect Tweet for you guys.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

There's just an ever so small chance they are hyping this too much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Come on Battlefront 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Anything now?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Stev_o wrote: »
    Anything now?

Not yet, although if we go by what they say then it should be coming along any minute now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Holsten wrote: »
    Come on Battlefront 3!

Second that! Would love to see what they could pull off with Battlefront on a nextgen system, II was probably one of the best XBox games I ever bought.

So lets see who will be happy: LucasArts has partnered with Steam. Digital adventurey goodness.

:)

Valve will release a press release in a moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Worst announcement ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

1 hour left. Now I must go through my email and sort out the 2600 emails from Twitter, then draft the perfect Tweet for you guys.

There I was thinking it would be something related to the atari 2600

ET remake?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

What a dissapointment!!

• Advertisement

JCDenton wrote: »
    What a dissapointment!!

Yeah, I think they hyped it too much.

We want new games!:p

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. – July 6, 2009 – Fans have asked and LucasArts has delivered! Today the company announced a new initiative in its effort to revive its classic and beloved franchises by making its games available for the first time ever as digital downloads online. In this first round of releases, ten fan-favorite LucasArts PC games will be made available Wednesday, July 8 on Steam®, Valve Corporation's delivery and management platform for the PC. Scheduled for release are classic adventure titles like LOOM and The Dig and hit action games including Star Wars Battlefront II and Star Wars Republic Commando.

The complete list of games to be released on July 8 via Steam includes:

• Armed and Dangerous™
    • Indiana Jones® and the Fate of Atlantis
    • Indiana Jones® and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure
    • LEGO® Indiana Jones: The Original Adventure
    • LOOM™
    • Star Wars Battlefront® II
    • Star Wars Republic Commando®
    • Star Wars Starfighter™
    • The Dig®
    • Thrillville®: Off the Rails™

“This effort is going to make it possible to introduce a whole new generation of gamers to LucasArts’ classic games,” said Darrell Rodriguez, president of LucasArts. “It also gives more people a chance to play our games by making them available long after they’ve disappeared from store shelves. We hope our fans are as excited as we are about our plans and we can’t wait to share what’s coming next. This is just the beginning.” This series of launches continues LucasArts’ new mission to revitalize its deep portfolio of beloved gaming franchises. LucasArts previously announced the return of the classic Monkey Island® franchise with two new projects due to be released in the near future. Tomorrow, July 7, Telltale will premiere the Tales of Monkey Island® game series on PC, delivering a
    completely new epic storyline and swashbuckling flair that will unfold across five monthly episodes. The first Tales of Monkey Island chapter is expected to release for WiiWare™ in the coming weeks as well. The Monkey Island celebration continues on July 15 when LucasArts publishes The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, a completely re-imagined version of the first game in the series that adds updated high definition graphics, a re-mastered musical score, and full voiceover to the classic adventure game originally launched in 1990. The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition will be made available on Xbox LIVE® Arcade for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, and PC via Steam and other online distribution channels.
    Future announcements about the re-release of LucasArts’ back catalog titles will be made through LucasArts’ Twitter feed at http://twitter.com/lucasartsgames.
    About Steam The leading online platform for PC games and digital entertainment, Steam
    delivers new releases and online services to over 20 million PC users around the world. For more information, please visit www.steamgames.com.

About Valve

Valve is an entertainment software and technology company founded in 1996 and based in Bellevue, Washington. For more information, please visit www.valvesoftware.com

About LucasArts

LucasArts, a division of Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd., is a leading developer and publisher of interactive entertainment software worldwide for video game console systems, computers and the Internet. Based in San Francisco, Calif., as well as on the Internet at www.lucasarts.com, LucasArts was created in 1982 by George Lucas to provide an interactive element to his vision of a state-of-the-art, multifaceted
    entertainment company.

LucasArts, the LucasArts logo, STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES are trademarks or registered

trademarks of Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. © 2009 Lucasfilm Entertainment

Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. & ® or TM as indicated. All rights reserved.
    Nintendo trademarks used under license. WiiWare is available only through the Wii console.

http://www.lucasarts.com/company/vip/catalog/lec_backcatalog_2009.pdf

Am I wrong in saying that a bunch of those were freely (and legally) available to download for the past few years now anyway?

Am I wrong in saying that a bunch of those were freely (and legally) available to download for the past few years now anyway?

LucasArts never declared any of their games freeware/abandon ware as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They actually tried to shut down sites peddling them as "abandonware" too didn't they?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

On the legal part you're wrong anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No game is abandonware unless made so by the publisher.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I had thought that Lucasarts had made them available too. I also thought that they were already available through Steam already, so this counts as one of the lamest hype building exercises since...well I guess the games industry is nothing but lame hype building exercises.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I ****ing hate steam.

Useless!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

What about TIE Fighter?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

humanji wrote: »
    I had thought that Lucasarts had made them available too.

Revolution made Lure of the Temptress and Beneath a Steel Sky abandonware but Lucas Arts never did the same with their games and defend their IPs still.

Ah right. Then if anyone asks, I haven't been playing those games for ages ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Does battlefront 2 still play well?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Gets boring after 5 mins fitz, You can have my copy / serial if ye want

• Registered Users Posts: 83,297 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

yep. theyve partnered with valve alright: overhype the **** out of nothing :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Overheal wrote: »
    yep. theyve partnered with valve alright: overhype the **** out of nothing :p

+1

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Revolution made Lure of the Temptress and Beneath a Steel Sky abandonware but Lucas Arts never did the same with their games and defend their IPs still.

Ah - that might be what I was thinking of!

Which reminds me - sorry to hijack the thread away from the announcement - but does anyone know when "Tales of Monkey Island" will be available to download today?

I'm on sick-leave from work for the week and was looking forward to a few hours of that, this morning!

I wonder what lies ahead for LucasArts.

Im probably looking into it too much, but as I said in the opening post:
    I suspect they may re-release some of their classic games myself. Perfect timing to get people interested in their games again with Tales of Monkey Island around the corner.

Tales of Monkey Island itself seems like a ploy to get people interested in the series again. It is a very common tactic to re-release your old school games before announcing a new game, just look at EA and their C&C: First Decade packages.

Also,
    “This effort is going to make it possible to introduce a whole new generation of gamers to LucasArts’ classic games,”

I reckon we should not be too surprised if LucasArts announce they are developing a proper new full game from one of their classic IP's.;)

I wonder what lies ahead for LucasArts.

Im probably looking into it too much, but as I said in the opening post:

Tales of Monkey Island itself seems like a ploy to get people interested in the series again. It is a very common tactic to re-release your old school games before announcing a new game, just look at EA and their C&C: First Decade packages.

Also,

I reckon we should not be too surprised if LucasArts announce they are developing a proper new full game from one of their classic IP's.;)
    Well Tales Of Monkey Island is a new version of the series, isn't it? It's just being sold in episodic format as that worked well for Sam & Max. If it works out well, then they'll probably make a third Maniac Mansion game in episodic format, or one of their other IP's.

• Advertisement

humanji wrote: »
    Well Tales Of Monkey Island is a new version of the series, isn't it? It's just being sold in episodic format as that worked well for Sam & Max. If it works out well, then they'll probably make a third Maniac Mansion game in episodic format, or one of their other IP's.

Sorry folks, but I do NOT want to see Telltale games working on an episodic sequel to Grim Fandango...

Advertisement