Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heading down under on RTW - Advice?

Options
  • 05-07-2009 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭

Have decided after much pondering to make the jump, Am planning on heading to Australia, Sydney in particular. My plan is to travel out in late September and spend three or four weeks in both Australia and New Zealand with an eye to going out there for a year in Summer 2010. The plan is just holiday there on this trip and get a feel for the place before committing to moving across the globe for a longer period.

My plan would be a 25 day trip to Australia & NZ with a week in Sydney and another week in Melbourne before going to NZ and spending around week in Auckland. I would hire out a car and get out of the respective cities and experience the Australian countryside while staying mostly confined to Auckland while in NZ.

I have good enough travel experience having been to Europe and North America several times so feel the time is right to go down under. I am 22 and would travel alone which I am used to so no biggy. How is the driving situation in Oz? I know they drive on the left like Ireland, how fussy are car rental agencies especially for under 25s. I have a full Irish licence with a year and half and would hire an automatic while there which is what I drive here.

What would be the particular sights to see in the greater Melbourne and Sydney areas? My main aim would be to get sightseeing in while getting a feel of the life there albeit even only for a short while.

I am totally sick of Ireland at this stage and even though financially sound I need a change of scenery. I am not your typical youth traveller who is generally skin flint and stays in Hostels etc. but may give it a bash if only for to meet people. I will fly Qantas from Heathrow to Sydney on the A380 to Sydney and fly from Melbourne to Auckland before leaving for Los Angeles and spend a few nights in Vegas and back to Dublin then. I will actually have flown around the world!

My route would be: Cork - London Heathrow - Sydney - Melbourne - Auckland - Los Angeles - Las Vegas- London Gatwick* - Cork.

*BA now fly Vegas to London non-stop from Oct.

I know it is large undertaking but I think this is what makes it challenging.

What are your opinions or am I gone mad to contemplate such a journey?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Your not mad at all netwhizkid go for it . As they say you only live once .

Have fun

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Buy the lonely planet East coast Australia guide, its probably the best traveller book i reckon you can get for like 20 euro, and since your traveling on your own, you can plan when and where to stay alone the road! - an invaluable resource!

damo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

DamoDLK wrote: »
    Buy the lonely planet East coast Australia guide, its probably the best traveller book i reckon you can get for like 20 euro, and since your traveling on your own, you can plan when and where to stay alone the road! - an invaluable resource!

damo

I got these Australia and New Zealand books already from Amazon but will get the Lonely Planet one also now that it is so highly recommended;)

Am in the process of working out an itinerary and it will definitely be a trip of a lifetime for sure.

Advertisement