Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nightmare Scenario - advice

• 05-07-2009 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭

I've been hanging around here for a while and have learnt a lot from everyones adivce.

I chose my lens etc based on advice from boardies as I'm a novice. Anyway, as adivsed, I bought a zoom lens for my walking safari holiday (just back today) On the second last day (after aprox 300 pics), my camera fell in a river. Its a 400d. I took out the memory card to make sure it wasn't damaged but as it lay on a rock to dry, it blew into the river and out of my life. All my photos are gone, massai villages, lions etc.

the camera seems to be working but an error 1 is coming up. has anyones camera ever survived being dropped in water and if so, where could I get it fixed?

I'm devestated about my photos but i'll have to get over that, I'd hate to lose my camera too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

travel insurance cover any of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

That was some horrendous bad luck that you had right there... I would recommend leaving the camera in a hot press or some where very warm for at least 24 hours solid, preferably with battery bay open and lens removed to allow as much excess moisture to evaporate as possible.
    Having said all that I dont know if it would be possible to stop degredation of the internal parts if it was completely submerged in the river. I believe that it maybe a matter of time before it ceases functioning altogether but I could be (and hope I am) wrong.
    As mentioned above , travel insurance maybe the best way to go and would certainly be something I'd be looking into as regards what your entitlements (if any) would be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Just think .... that memory card will settle in the mud which will compress & eventually turn to stone. Many many millenia from now some future life form will break open a rock & recover the data & your pictures will be what is know of human existence.

Well it could happen ..... the ecomomy could repair itself tomorrow too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Oh no!! I hope you get some recompense!, although I have no clue how you'd go about it.

Cabansail - I like the mental imagery. @OP - I hope that's small comfort..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

You must be davestated.

Best thing would be to get Canon to have a look at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭The Davestator

cheers guys. I'm really annoyed about it, just when i think I've gotten over it, I remember a shot that I had forgotten about and go through the pain again! Its now in the hot press, and I'm going to leave it into a camera shop tmw. thanks for help
    (hopefully i wont be back on here looking for advice on what new camera to buy in a week)

Advertisement