Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I bring in Audi A6 Estate As a Commercial from UK??

• 05-07-2009 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi
    Just wondering whether i can bring an Audi A6 avant estate in from UK, take the back seats out of it and use it commercially - therefore not paying standard VRT??:confused:

Thanks in advance..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

youd pay 13.3% vrt, the a6 doesnt meet the weight requirment (has to weigh over 2.4 tonnes gvw

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Lmnover

youd pay 13.3% vrt, the a6 doesnt meet the weight requirment (has to weigh over 2.4 tonnes gvw

Hi, How come people bring Corolla and Focus's in from Northern Ireland that are commercial and pay commercial VRT on it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No is the answer. The car should be registered within 24 hours of arrival in the country. ;)

Buy a van ;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Lmnover wrote: »
    Hi, How come people bring Corolla and Focus's in from Northern Ireland that are commercial and pay commercial VRT on it??

they pay a 13.3% commercial vrt, versus the 31% private , 50 euro only applies to vehicles above 2.4 tonnes gvw and with a wheelbase of 2.4 meters, either those lads paid the 13.3% or had a friend in the vrt office

buy a nice big jeep :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

For a 06 A6 avant with 60000 on the clock it is giving the rate of 2500 to clear with an OMSP of 19,000 or there abouts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Lmnover wrote: »
    Because both the Corolla and the Focus can come from the factory as a van version. The Audi didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Top Dog wrote: »
    Because both the Corolla and the Focus can come from the factory as a van version. The Audi didn't.

Neither Corolla or Focus qualify for 50 euro VRT. nothing to do with factory fit or otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Neither Corolla or Focus qualify for 50 euro VRT. nothing to do with factory fit or otherwise.
    So neither is considered a commercial?

it doesn't have to qualify for 50 euro VRT to be a commercial. there are different VRT rates for different types of commercials (car type vans, pickups, crewcabs etc.)

Category C vehicles are E50 VRT

Category B vehicles attract 13.3% VRT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

you can do that with the audi,

fill the tires with water , remove the seats and roll out lead on the floor on its flat ,then cover with carpet again blacken the windows and bobs your uncle,

this should bring you upto the right weight , i have done it several times with different youkes

• Advertisement

cool Leitrim Lad, except the GVW of the car doesn't change, you've just reduced the payload :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

or made it heavier, hence the rolls of lead rolled out on the floor in the back and the boot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Sorry mate hate to burst your bubble.

The GVW is the maximum load the car is designed to take and is issued by the manufacturer not by bringing it to a local weigh bridge and saying look i can fit 3 tonne in my boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

of course you can, but it'll take a lot more than just taking the seats out. You'll have to weld in a new floor over their location, too.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Top Dog wrote: »

Is the Focus not a conversion done in Ireland? Never seen one in any other country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

MYOB wrote: »
    Is the Focus not a conversion done in Ireland? Never seen one in any other country.

AFAIK, its only converted for the UK and Irish market.

And the lads are right. Something like that A6 Avant could be bought and converted to a commercial vehicle, but it would qualify as a CAT B vehicle, meaning a VRT rate of 13.5% as opposed to a straight €50.

Not worth the bother or cost IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Something like that A6 Avant could be bought and converted to a commercial vehicle, but it would qualify as a CAT B vehicle, meaning a VRT rate of 13.5% as opposed to a straight 50.

Not worth the bother or cost IMO.

+1 side windows have to be removed and replaced wit metal panels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Fey!

For €50 VRT, the GVW of the vehicle must be over 3,449KG (that is, the manufacturer or importer must have approved it for a laden weight of 3,449KG, not the kerb weight), and the load bay must be over 45% of the length of the wheelbase (if the wheelbase is 1500mm, then the load bay must be 675mm or over).

For 13.5% VRT, one of the two criteria above must be filled.

Full details available at your local VRT office.
    +1 side windows have to be removed and replaced wit metal panels.

Incorrect. The windows can be left in; the people at the VRT office only want to see that there is metal fitted; you can paint the inside of the window and glue a metal sheet to the inside (we used 0.6mm galvanised steel, which was cheap, easy to get, and easy to cut and shape). To make the job look better finished, you could paint the metal or glue carpet to it.

You'll need to put in a flat floor, too, and remove the seats/seatbelts/bolts/etc. (You can use MDF for the floor, cut to shape. Bolt it to the bolting points for the seats, etc, and cover it in carpet. Nice, neat job).

Advertisement