Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working hours being changed..need advice..

Options
  • 05-07-2009 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi all,

Ive been working a 39 hour week from 7.30am to 4pm monday to thursday and 3pm on a friday for the past 5years. Now my company want to change my hours to 10.30am to 7pm monday to thursday and start at 11.30am til 7pm on a friday..
    Im still doing a 39 hour week but the these new hours are a disaster as it takes 90mins to get home every evening and i have to cancel my new course im doing etc...
    The questions i want answered is... are these new hours unsocialable hours? is this a change to working practise? do i have to agree to these new hours? and finally am i intitled to over time pay as im working past 5pm??

If anyone could give me advice on this situ it would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Afaik no, you can work any combination of hours along as it is not night work (10pm to 6am)

Def. no overtime pay for working after 5pm.

Are you in a union?
    Are you working in retail?
    Most union decisions about hours and flexibility are about how much notice you get about your working hours ie when the rota is put up.

As you know what your hours are every week this would not be the case.

Is it everybody or just you?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

clarkedog wrote: »
    Ive been working a 39 hour week from 7.30am to 4pm monday to thursday and 3pm on a friday for the past 5years. Now my company want to change my hours to 10.30am to 7pm monday to thursday and start at 11.30am til 7pm on a friday..
    Two things:
    Firstly, there should be a clause in your contract that your hours can be anything between X to Y time, that allows them to do this.
    Secondly, I'd thread carefully. If you're working in retail, they probably see their sales dropping in the morning, so are most likely cutting their morning staff, and putting them onto busier times. Since you have been there for 5 years, they'll probably want to keep you. See if any part-timers get their hours slashed drastically?

Advertisement