Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm worth £80 Million-Ronaldo

• 05-07-2009 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5hii2wq2O1rzFFT6y_c79XJkRNkCg
    googlenews wrote:
    Cristiano Ronaldo on Saturday said the £80million Real Madrid paid for him is a "fair price" and he is delighted to be the most expensive player in the world.

Ronaldo will put the finishing touches on his move from Manchester United on Monday night when he is officially unveiled as the Spanish giants' latest signing.

"I think that it's a fair figure," he told Marca. "If Manchester United and Real Madrid agree this amount, then there is nothing more to say. I'm happy to be the most expensive player in the world."

It is the signing of Ronaldo that has captured everyone's attention and imagination, though, as Madrid finally got their man this summer to end a transfer saga that has lasted more than two years.

It took an astronomical fee to persuade United to part with the FIFA World Player of the Year, and Madrid have come in for a fair amount of criticism from both inside and outside the footballing community for spending so much money in the current global financial crisis.

However, Ronaldo believes Madrid are justified in paying the fee - and also feels he can live up to the price tag.

"The great players cost a lot of money, and if you want them you have to pay it," he added.

In response to those who have qualms about so much money being spent on one footballer, he added: "I respect everyone's opinions, but I don't agree with these people. If Real Madrid have paid so much money, it's because they wanted me and have considered it a fair price.

"I'm going to try to do everything in my hands to play very well and I will show that the money they are paying for me has been a good decision."

Your says :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

He isn't worth that as a player.....not even close. His pitch contributions would never warrant it. But as a package.....everything you get with him, he is right.

Having superstars gains you worldwide interest......the numbers for this years spanish football will be way up. Then, there is shirt sales. Then, there is the added prestige of having all these stars at your club, which mean that 95% of the players you approach, will want to join your club.

So yes, overall he is probably worth the money. Just not for the reasons his ego would like to think :D.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Is anyone really surprised he thinks he's worth that much?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Is anyone really surprised he thinks he's worth that much?

im shocked he doesent think hes worth more

No player is worth that although through merchandise etc players could bring back in such fees for clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,461 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

He is right.

He is worth whatever a club is prepaired to pay for him, and Real were prepaired to pay 80million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Nothing controversial here, I was expecting to read some article that made me think "what an arrogant little cnut!" but he is right in what he is saying and actually comes across as pretty level headed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

When you consider that they have that area of the pitch covered for the next 6 years, which is about 25 million a season with wages, then you consider what he will bring to the team on and off the pitch, the increased TV money, shirt sales, merchandise, advertisements, etc is he worth it? I don't know, I'm not an accountant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

He is right.

He is worth whatever a club is prepaired to pay for him, and Real were prepaired to pay 80million.
    Yeah you're exactly right tbh. You can argue that it is, realistically, a ridiculous price tag but that's what madrid were willing to pay, and that's what he's worth now.

Advertisement