Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tommorow a new life begin's

Options
  • 05-07-2009 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭

Monday,06 July 2009..This is the day we rid ourselves of the WEED forever.
    With Alen Carr's Easy Way, almost finshed my wife and I are looking forward to not waking up coughing our lung's out, having skin and clothes that say eeeeeeeeek!!! you stink of fag's,normal blood presure,less stress,cig free odour home, no longer a social outcast/pathetic being curled up outside a pub getting his fix in a force '6', freezing cold gale.
    We have analylzed, debated and picked apart why we smoke and come up with ....WHAT THE F@#k ARE WE DOING these cancer stick's are killing us
    and we dont want to die when the ciggie's dictate.
    So wish us well and here goes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

Best of luck and a successful fresh start to you! Allens book is great, I'd recommend you keep a quit diary to look back on, really helped me to stick with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭sqlpod

Thank's GOVINDA, for your support and the diary sound's like good idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭barkingmadlolly

Best of luck!!! I also stopped using Alan Carr (once using the book and then with the clinic) and I found that having the book handy when I was having a weak moment or a moment of doubting my decision was a lifesaver.

Keep reminding yourself of all the benefits of stopping and use resources like www.stopsmoking.ie to distract yourself. For me the first 3 days were tough, then day 8 (bizarre!) got a mad craving but now almost 2 months on, its like Im a different person.

Best of luck to you and your wife, let us know how you are getting on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭sqlpod

Thank's barkingmadmolly, and keep going, you are doing great.
    hopefully we will do it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Good luck.
    I used Allen Carr in combination with other help aids.
    Collectively thay worked for me.
    these were ;

The quitometer from stopsmoking.ie
    Continual reinforcement reading of whyquit.com during the first few days
    A large supply of grapefruit juice (great pang buster)
    A piece of clear plastic biro to suck as a placebo for a few days
    A deadline of 72 hours quit that I would get to no matter what !

Once day 4 arrived i knew i was home free.

Never looked back.

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Best of luck! Took me 3 tries but eventually I got it. I'm sure you will to, just the feeling of waking up and not coughing my lungs out was enough to keep me going. Everyday you'll feel better, no joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

Best of luck, I gave up on the 17th November last and I haven't looked back since.

Think of it this way.... €8.10x233 days (roughly) i've saved a FORTUNE. Put the money into a jar every day. It's so rewarding to see the money piling up and you can plan to buy yourself something nice I know I did :D

The first few days will be hard, but you'll get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭EpiphoneSpecial

best of luck to ya, its amazing how quickly you'll notice the change.

im off them 2 weeks tomorrow and counting. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Pal wrote: »
    Good luck.
    I used Allen Carr in combination with other help aids.
    Collectively thay worked for me.
    these were ;

The quitometer from stopsmoking.ie
    Continual reinforcement reading of whyquit.com during the first few days
    A large supply of grapefruit juice (great pang buster)
    A piece of clear plastic biro to suck as a placebo for a few days
    A deadline of 72 hours quit that I would get to no matter what !

Once day 4 arrived i knew i was home free.

Never looked back.

Good luck

Thanks so much for this post! I'm on my second day now and the withdrawals have been hurrendous but I am finding whyquit.com excellent as a reinforcer every time I get a craving and of course the quitometer on stopsmoking.ie

Everyone has told me the first 72 hours are the worst so it's great to read a post like the above.

Hi MissFluff! You quit 1 day, 13 hours, 47 minutes & 39 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 44 cigs, saved EUR 19 and added 3.67 hours to your life.

good stuff. Well done !
    When you go to bed tonight, you will be across the finish line.
    Trust me.
    Hang on in there no matter what.
    you don';t know it yet but this is going to be the best thing you ever did.

As for tomorrow, nothing will happen except you won't be feeling so crap anymore
    and you will rightly have a sense of achievement of having got through the dreaded first 72 hours.

Within a few days there will be a moment of revelation.
    It will only happen once.
    It will be that moment when the penny drops that you have quit so to speak.
    Don't go looking for it.
    You will know when it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Pal wrote: »
    good stuff. Well done !
    When you go to bed tonight, you will be across the finish line.
    Trust me.
    Hang on in there no matter what.
    you don';t know it yet but this is going to be the best thing you ever did.

As for tomorrow, nothing will happen except you won't be feeling so crap anymore
    and you will rightly have a sense of achievement of having got through the dreaded first 72 hours.

Within a few days there will be a moment of revelation.
    It will only happen once.
    It will be that moment when the penny drops that you have quit so to speak.
    Don't go looking for it.
    You will know when it happens.

Thanks a million Pal, really appreciate it. Actually getting up this morning was easier than any other time so far although almost had a Trainspotting Baby on the Ceiling Moment about an hour ago! It is definitely getting that little bit easier! I keep reading this OVER AND OVER again and it is helping. Hope it helps others too.

As far as nicotine is concerned, if the smoker quits cold he will overcome the strongest stages of withdrawal within 72 hours. After two weeks, physical withdrawal ceases. Then, once it is understood that any amount of nicotine administered in any manner will reinforce his dependence, he has all the ammunition he needs to overcome the occasional desire. He must always base the decision of whether or not he should smoke a cigarette on his true options. He has the choice of smoking none or smoking everything. There is no in between. Based on that, his choice is clear - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

go to bed early tonight.

get yourself through the first 72 hours by sleeping through them.

make a little grid of 72 boxes and tick them off one by one as each hour passes.
    get a sense of achievement by doing this.

Aim for that finish line and do not smoke no matter what !

I'm not kidding.

Advertisement