Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Chocolate

Options
  • 05-07-2009 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering does anybody here know anything about Tesco own brand chocolate. I had a choccie craving last night and felt like something different to cadbury's. I was looking at the Tesco own brand bars. Nearly all of them stated that they were ok for Veggie's, however, when I read the ingrediants they all contaned whey powder. :(

Example:

Tesco Finest Belgium Chocolate Tiffin

Siutable for vegetarians

Ingredients:- Wheat, Flour,Milk Chocolate (14%) Butter, Plain Chocolate (12%) Sultanas (10%) Glace Cherries (6%) Sugar,Coconut (5%) Vegetable Fat,Coco Powder, Golden Syrup, Invert Sugar Syrup, Oats, Whey Powder, Raising Agent (Sodium Bicarbonate, Ammonium Bicarbonate) Salt.
    Milk chocolate contains: Sugar Cocoa Butter, Milk solids, Cocoa Liquor, Emulsifier (Soya Lecithins) Vanilla.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Kiddynamite

I always thought whey had something to do with milk.

Whey powder is suitable for vegetarians....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I thought it was vegans that wouldn't eat whey powder?
    Whey is the fluid that remains of the milk of any animal after cheesemaking. Cheese is made by clotting milk. After clotting the fluid is separated from the curd. This fluid is called whey. It contains approximately 50% of the lactose of the milk, as well as proteins, vitamins and minerals. The proteins are often purified and marketed as whey protein. Dried whey is called whey powder.

Should be ok for vegetarians?

Silverfish wrote: »
    I thought it was vegans that wouldn't eat whey powder?

Should be ok for vegetarians?

Cheese can be made from animal rennet. So not all whey powder is vegetarian.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Paige Turner

I would usually avoid it due to the fact that rennet may be in it. I would prefer to use vegetarian whey powder instead. I suppose each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ButterflyGirl23

You can get vegan chocolate bars in health food shops. They are so tasty and choclatey, They have them in original, orange, mint and dark flavours. I get the dark one when I have a chocolate craving and all I need is a couple of squares to make the craving go away. They are really velvety, smooth and of course choclatey!
    Buying the vegan version would get rid of any of your doubts of it been suitable for you or not.

Advertisement