Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping in Enniskerry, Wicklow or Other Place

Options
  • 05-07-2009 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

Hi,

Myself and a few others would like to go camping again this summer. That last place we have been going to is becoming at little crowded and we were also put off by a gang of about 15 dodgey kids running around in tracksuits and drinking cans.

There was one place we visited for the day but can't seem to find it. Maybe one of you can help me. It was only no more that an 8 to 10min drive out from Enniskeery village. From the road the track is only about 7mins or less to the actual spot. There is a river, (the Dargle, I'm pressuming) with a flat bank big enough to accomodate tents aswell as a little protective mucky hill. Over the hill are sheltering trees that are spread out enough to pitch a tent - yet they provide great shelter. I know this sounds quite vague but ther seemed to be other folk camping there so I assume it's quite popular. Anyone have any idea where this is? Been trying on Google Maps.

Or if anyone can suggest a decent place. That's quite secluded, yet accessable to car park or something.

We always take all our rubbish home. It angers me greatly when these beauty spots are destroyed by pleople's ignorance and laziness. Please don't turn this topic into an envoirnmental debate. Keep it to camping tips/spots etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Sounds a bit like the area on the Wicklow Way, on the bit between Crone Woods and the Knockree hostel. It's on the Glencree river not the Dargle but otherwise sounds a bit like your description. Lots of mess there the last time I was there, but not as bad as some "camping" areas I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

I'm with Alun, sounds just like:
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=53.169212,-6.218621&spn=0.001762,0.004801&z=18

Just along the wicklow way, north of crone woods.

I wouldn't describe it as secluded though, can get busy enough, particularly during summer weekends.
    Some people do unfortunately leave rubbish there :-|
    I should say, I've no idea whether or not it's actually permitted to camp there.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

Thanks for your replies lads. You are right. It is. That is the place we camped last time.The place i'm looking for is still a mystery to me.

We went to drop some friends off there last time I was at it. They since cant remember the exact location or directions. When I spoke of the bank of the river being flat for camping it is unusually flat (from memory) and I'm not sure if it was grassy I think it was more hard muck or soil. If you can imagine at slope heading uptowards the river then at the edge of the slope there's about a 7ft drop. Then there is the flat bank and then the river. Some lads were taking advantage of the bank and camping on it although I would (excuse the pun) not bank on it during heavy rainfall as the waterlevel almost comes right up.

I'm gonna take another look on Google Maps to see. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 desoman

Sounds like Knocksink woods maybe? Very popular with youngfellas alrite. If u follow the river up a few kms its quieter. Place called prince williams seat at the far side of the wood you'll see iton the OS map

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Patrick R

Thanks for your replies lads. You are right. It is. That is the place we camped last time.The place i'm looking for is still a mystery to me.

We went to drop some friends off there last time I was at it. They since cant remember the exact location or directions. When I spoke of the bank of the river being flat for camping it is unusually flat (from memory) and I'm not sure if it was grassy I think it was more hard muck or soil. If you can imagine at slope heading uptowards the river then at the edge of the slope there's about a 7ft drop. Then there is the flat bank and then the river. Some lads were taking advantage of the bank and camping on it although I would (excuse the pun) not bank on it during heavy rainfall as the waterlevel almost comes right up.

I'm gonna take another look on Google Maps to see. :)

Dodge spot lads we got ran of it last summer by some crazey auld one with 2 big mean dogs. We told her that we weren't goin anywhere. But then she arrived back with the Guards they told us if we didn't go they would have no choice but arrest us for trespassing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Patrick R

Alun wrote: »
    Sounds a bit like the area on the Wicklow Way, on the bit between Crone Woods and the Knockree hostel. It's on the Glencree river not the Dargle but otherwise sounds a bit like your description. Lots of mess there the last time I was there, but not as bad as some "camping" areas I've seen.

that place me and me mates got ran of it last summer by a couple of bouncers. did anyone else have this exprience????????:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I've only been to the river area below Knockree once (not camping), but I remember a curious batch of posts put up last year in any thread/forum where knockree was mentioned, by mysterious poster "hostmanx", who was then banned(?). Most of the posts disappeared, except for

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73928275&postcount=1072
    (see also posts 1074-6 below it in its thread)

and http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73929238&postcount=156

(I feel like a archaologist :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Magic Star

Hi Patrick,

We got the same treatment last year when me and my mates decided to camp beside the river. We were approached by four people and a pack of dogs and told to get off their land - it was private. They put out our fires with our beer!!! THEY THEN STOOD OVER US AND MADE US PACK UP AND LEAVE - There were two jeeps sitting behind them too so it seemed like they had some back up.
    Worst nights camping ever - wouldn't bother with this spot again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Magic Star wrote: »
    Hi Patrick,

We got the same treatment last year when me and my mates decided to camp beside the river. We were approached by four people and a pack of dogs and told to get off their land - it was private. They put out our fires with our beer!!! THEY THEN STOOD OVER US AND MADE US PACK UP AND LEAVE - There were two jeeps sitting behind them too so it seemed like they had some back up.
    Worst nights camping ever - wouldn't bother with this spot again.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Magic Star

Just to let you know - we were not thrashing the place - our campsite was tidy and that was acknowledged by those who moved us on - but they have a zero tolerance approach.

We had arrived late at night having left Marlay Park at 7pm so just didn't see the signs in the dark.

I love the Wicklow Hills and camp there a lot over the summer months - but you got to respect those who are trying their damnedest to keep it clean for others. We didn't appreciate being moved on so late- but the mistake, after all, was ours . . . . .

Leave no trace

• Advertisement
Advertisement