Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

22 magnum General info

Options
  • 05-07-2009 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Hi lads just looking for some general info on a .22 magnum..
    What kind of distance can i expect out of it for target shooting!?
    Ive heard its more than good enough to drop a fox at 125yards.

What amunition would people recommend...

Any info would be great.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

elius wrote: »
    Hi lads just looking for some general info on a .22 magnum..
    What kind of distance can i expect out of it for target shooting!?
    Ive heard its more than good enough to drop a fox at 125yards.

Any info would be great.
    Cheers

I shot a remington 597 in magnum mainly for foxes. I always called the foxes in as close as possible that was number one rule. 125 yards at night under a lamp is a long distance. Last year I changed to a ruger hornet and still call the foxes in as close as possible. In short yes its capable of killing a fox at 125 yards but are you capable of placing the bullet??

On rabbits I found it good but head shots are a must.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

I shot a remington 597 in magnum mainly for foxes. I always called the foxes in as close as possible that was number one rule. 125 yards at night under a lamp is a long distance. Last year I changed to a ruger hornet and still call the foxes in as close as possible. In short yes its capable of killing a fox at 125 yards but are you capable of placing the bullet??

On rabbits I found it good but head shots are a must.

Hope this helps

Cheers for the info lad.. Ill be mainly rabbits and targets for the first while till i get a feel for things.. What distance in targets can i be expecting to hit?:?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭pajero2005

Cheers for the info lad.. Ill be mainly rabbits and targets for the first while till i get a feel for things.. What distance in targets can i be expecting to hit?:?

Hi Elius,

I have a CZ .22 magnum. I haven't had the chance of foxing with it yet, but cant wait to:D. As for rabbits its a great gun. I have only went out to 100 or so yards on a fixed target so far with it, not sure how much further it would be good for, but thats just from lack of experience on my part!!:o

As cavan shooter said head shots are a must on the bunnies. I use remmington jacketed hollow points and find them grand. Cost about €11/12 for a box of 50. Are you planning on getting one yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Killguru

I think this might be of use :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_magnum

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MRJ

Try hornady ballistic tips they expand on contact, better than the hollow points.

• Advertisement

pajero2005 wrote: »
    Hi Elius,

I have a CZ .22 magnum. I haven't had the chance of foxing with it yet, but cant wait to:D. As for rabbits its a great gun. I have only went out to 100 or so yards on a fixed target so far with it, not sure how much further it would be good for, but thats just from lack of experience on my part!!:o

As cavan shooter said head shots are a must on the bunnies. I use remmington jacketed hollow points and find them grand. Cost about €11/12 for a box of 50. Are you planning on getting one yourself?

Ive bought an anschutz .22 mag.. Licence has been issued just have to collect! Was thinking of the hornady ballistics... Id just like to no what distance i could expect for rabbits and targets thought there is a vid on youtube of a lad droping a rabbit at 175yrd..

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 John_Dillinger

pajero2005 wrote: »
    Hi Elius,

Exactly the same as myself...the exact distance the bullet can travel and be lethal at i'm not too sure...just make sure when ya fire on a target theres something solid behind it to stop the bullet!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

the exact distance the bullet can travel and be lethal at i'm not too sure
    About 2.5 miles, according to the NSSF and SAAMI:

HowFar.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 John_Dillinger

Sparks wrote: »
    About 2.5 miles, according to the NSSF and SAAMI:

Very doubtful! Read direct from my Remington .22 WIN MAG box...

"Range - 1 3/4 miles"

The bullet would be lethal at less than that total range...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

Just changed from a 22MAG to 17HMR because of all the good reports of the 17 and to be honest it was a very good move, I'll just use it on Grey crows and magpies and maybe the odd fox. I used 40grain bullets in the 22 on Fox's and was getting a few runners:mad: so someone on here told me to switch to 30grain and i found them much better. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

"Was thinking of the hornady ballistics..."

I tried them once, fine round IMO but they are running about €20/22 a box at my local dealers. I find the remmy's as good for what I use them for.

Happy and safe hunting with the new .22

Thanks lads.. looking forward to geting a few rabbits.. I presume the hornady are 50 for E20-E22??

• Registered Users Posts: 39,358 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Very doubtful! Read direct from my Remington .22 WIN MAG box...

"Range - 1 3/4 miles"

The bullet would be lethal at less than that total range...

Read Spark's post again, max range at sealevel is about 1 3/4 miles (2.8km), but at 12,000ft it is increased to 2.5 miles (4km), as the air resistance is less.

I seam to remember Rovi (I think) putting up info on max range and corresponding angle (normally around 30 degrees) for a number of rounds inc .22WMR.

Thanks lads.. looking forward to geting a few rabbits.. I presume the hornady are 50 for E20-E22??

Yeah, 50 for €20/22. There is a world of rounds for the .22wmr. You'd be best off getting a few different types, zero your scope with each type as the trajectory may differ from round to round, and just see what works best for you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

greenpeter wrote: »
    Just changed from a 22MAG to 17HMR because of all the good reports of the 17 and to be honest it was a very good move, I'll just use it on Grey crows and magpies and maybe the odd fox. I used 40grain bullets in the 22 on Fox's and was getting a few runners:mad: so someone on here told me to switch to 30grain and i found them much better. Hope this helps.

I used cci vmax 30 or 33 grn cant remember. I used to nail the fox. I would have thought that a 22 mag would have more stopping power because of the energy and heavier bullet. I am interested in a .17 HMR yes there very fast but not sure about the energy imparted because of bullett weight. Would be keen to hear peoples experience with .17 HMR on foxes.

Before I get the ire up on Lads If you read my threads I always call foxes in to ideally 100 yrds or less before I shoot.

I am interested in a .17 HMR yes there very fast but not sure about the energy imparted because of bullett weight. Would be keen to hear peoples experience with .17 HMR on foxes.

Before I get the ire up on Lads If you read my threads I always call foxes in to ideally 100 yrds or less before I shoot.

I think, at longer ranges, the HMR has more kinetic energy, due to the speed. (Velocity playing a bigger role in energy than mass)

There is a goood article comparing the twp over at ChuckHawks.com

If I remember correctly,
    the HMR comes in a 17 or a 20 grain round, which have almost identical energy over their entire range.

The 30 grain WMR has slightly more energy than the HMR at 50 yards, and slightly less at 100 yards. I'd estimate they are the same at 73 yards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 long shot

Have a Marlin .22 magnum myself, use it on foxes with 45gr RWS out to 125 yards and 33gr remmington accutip to 175 yards. Remember wind has a big effect on this round at over 125 yards, bullet placement on the likes of a fox being critical. Get yourself a good scope!

175 yards on foxes with a 33 grain WMR bullet is shocking.
    At that range you would be better off with a .17HMR (which I still wouldn't advise)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Mellor wrote: »
    175 yards on foxes with a 33 grain WMR bullet is shocking.
    At that range you would be better off with a .17HMR (which I still wouldn't advise)

Yep, its a definite recipe for wounded foxes limping off to die a slow and protracted death:(. thats based upon several years of foxing with a 22 magnum in my youth where i found that from 100 yards its a wounding machine and on taking up shooting with them with a hornet, i found that it to will wound quite a bit after 150 yards-but a 175 yard shot with a 33 grain pill is definitley in the territory of as much chance at wounding as killing imo-the old adage comes to mind -use enough gun-especially today where the calibres are available-not like yesteryear when a 22 mag was the norm and you would have great trouble getting a cert for a hornet or any other centerfire 22-you owe it to your quarry.

Thanks for the comments lads.. Collected my licence today so will go into collect this week...

• Advertisement

Collected it today so thought id put up a few pics...

1el0no.jpg

24xnn21.jpg

Cheers
    Tristan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Nice rifle - but of course you shoulda got the HMR:p

Yer man Pete Moore did an interesting comparison on the two calibres in SS two months back - He's to do the second part in a future issue. He reckoned the HMR was inherently more accurate, though the .22 mag was probably a better on the spot fox round.

As for how far you can expect to shoot targets etc. well I'm sure you're about to find that out for yourself - put them all the way out past 225-250 yards, if you've got the room and the backstop, then you can work out your drops.

Still though, the hummer is some round! No hesitation on 180-200 yard mags and greys and I don't have it that long. And they. don't. move. a. feather.

Great for bugs too, but as everyone says it has to be a brainbox shot if you plan on eating 'em. And that's not too pleasant to look at the first few times!:pac:

This debate on the hummer/.22 mag for fox is a strange one though. Personally I think that charlie is a tough old boot and these rounds are at the limit of what is gonna kill humanely, all the time. I don't think I would, but then I might if the situation presents, but certainly not after 60/70 yards.

Others, much more experienced, on here may disagree, but it's a personal choice at the end of the day. If I'm shooting something I want it dead, no fcuking around.

Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement. But I mean at 125 yards with a little round like these there's not much room for error.

Different story with your .223, .243, 22-250 or what have you. Hit him anywhere in the front third and he's not going much further. For me this is important.

Good luck with your new rifle, hope you have as much craic with it as I'm having with my yoke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 long shot

Think your right, getting to many runners at around the 125 yard plus range, going to get myself a .223 blazer with flutted barrel. Should look good with my 4x16x50 viper scope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

What scope u got on that rig Elius? Looks the part:)

Its a besonder optics 8-32x50 and was kindly supplied buy scalachi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭fiestaman

elius, does the silencer quietin it much?? is it a sak silencer?

Thats a great looking set up there elius. Well may she wear and give you many a years good hunting.

What mod are you running on it? Any hassle getting consent from FO for it? I'm looking for one for my .22wmr.

Advertisement