Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish placenames arggghhh!

• 05-07-2009 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭

Some liberal gaelgori has wrecked Google Earth as nearly all the placenames are appearing in Irish. Everybody in Ireland speaks English and Irish is a dead language. Towns like Mitchelstown and Mallow are appearing in Irish on it and these towns are not in the Gaeltacht.

I have my language settings set to English UK but they still appear. Way to wreck a handy tool with ye olde rubbish Irish.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

How has it been "wreck"ed?! It's in brackets... *sigh* Never mind.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

IMO, there's nothing wrong with knowing the Irish placenames.

I think they sound better than they're English counterparts, a lot of the time. Once you know the Irish names you'll see that the English translations are terrible (Na Obair = Nobber :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

It is is all very well to say oh it is good to get to know the Irish placenames, but it is still ruining Google Earth to have random places labelled in Irish. I could guarantee that 99.5% of people on the island of Ireland would not know where Cill Droichid is or even know where to look. Plenty people know where Celbridge actually is or have a rough idea where to look anyway.

Ok fine have Google earth names in Irish as a secondary tag in smaller writing but not in Irish when you are zooming around the maps trying to find it. Even the search function is mildly impaired and route planner will only do Irish now also.

Google Earth uafásach ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

netwhizkid wrote: »
    It is is all very well to say oh it is good to get to know the Irish placenames, but it is still ruining Google Earth to have random places labelled in Irish. I could guarantee that 99.5% of people on the island of Ireland would not know where Cill Droichid is or even know where to look. Plenty people know where Celbridge actually is or have a rough idea where to look anyway.

Ok fine have Google earth names in Irish as a secondary tag in smaller writing but not in Irish when you are zooming around the maps trying to find it. Even the search function is mildly impaired and route planner will only do Irish now also.

Google Earth uafásach ;)

I agree - I don't think it should be all-Irish, or all-English for that matter.

If it had both, like the way the roadsigns do (who actually notices the Irish on them anyway :p).

That way, people who are looking for the English can look at the English, and people who are interested in the Irish can look at the Irish. In theory, there is both in Google Earth but a large amount of the time only one or the other displays depending on how far you are zoomed in/out.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭B11gt00e

Nuair a thuigeann tú ainmneacha na háiteanna i ngaelige, deanann sé i bhfad níos mó céille.

Most Irish place names describe their surrounding topography or historical meaning (connotation), thus giving the viewer a lot more help in identifying the true significance of the place. Mix it up, give both as necessary, but don't be afraid to learn the cúpla focal, as you will find it a lot more rewarding, especially now as we have the omnipotent vantage of google earth.

Is áit an mac and tsaol, agus is maith an tsaol ina bhfuil muid na chonaí.

• Advertisement
Advertisement