Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo DS blood monitoring

Options
  • 05-07-2009 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi,
    not sure if this is just a gimmick too far but it could possibly be of interest to parents of kids with diabetes. It certainly would've appealed to me in my formative years. Realistically, my wife would disown me if I picked one up now!

http://www.bayerdidget.co.uk/About-Didget/Product-Information

Bayer’s DIDGET™ Blood Glucose Monitoring System

Bayer’s DIDGET™ is the only blood glucose meter that plugs into a Nintendo DS™ or Nintendo DS™ Lite system. This unique meter helps encourage consistent testing with reward points that children can use to buy items within the game and unlock new game levels. And, since the DIDGET™ meter is based on Bayer’s trusted CONTOUR™ system, you know you’re getting a meter that’s reliable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I think that is a brilliant idea - now all they need to do is have an adult one for us...am laughing but I think that it is so cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

CathyMoran wrote: »
    I think that is a brilliant idea - now all they need to do is have an adult one for us...am laughing but I think that it is so cool.

Shhh! No one must know that we want one too.

ElBarco wrote: »
    Shhh! No one must know that we want one too.
    Hee, hee, hee...was it that obvious that I want one! To be fair the machine I have gives 7, 14, 30, 60 and 90 day averages which are very handy and have helped me monitor my bloods to the extent that my HbA1c is about 5 (trying for a baby so they have to be that low), but blood testing is still not nice, now if there was something like that...

An adult one could have healthy low GI food suggestions with the carbs etc on it as well as some games, just an idea?

Hee, hee, hee...was it that obvious that I want one! To be fair the machine I have gives 7, 14, 30, 60 and 90 day averages which are very handy and have helped me monitor my bloods to the extent that my HbA1c is about 5 (trying for a baby so they have to be that low), but blood testing is still not nice, now if there was something like that...

An adult one could have healthy low GI food suggestions with the carbs etc on it as well as some games, just an idea?

I like the idea!

Well done on the HbA1c btw! That's impressive. I know what the trying for a baby thing is like - best of luck with it. I don't want to say what my last blood work was like :( I'm back on the wagon at the moment and trying to get things back in order.

ElBarco wrote: »
    I like the idea!

Well done on the HbA1c btw! That's impressive. I know what the trying for a baby thing is like - best of luck with it. I don't want to say what my last blood work was like :( I'm back on the wagon at the moment and trying to get things back in order.
    Yes, we are on our third miscarriage in 6 months...I think that it is more to do with the fact that I am a cancer survivor though, we did not even think that I could get pregnant...

My problem is more that I go too low than too high - have scared my husband quite a few times...

Testing helps with blood sugars (well it helped me), but that is for another thread...

They really should have the DS machine for us over here - being a diabetic kid was tough enough but if it was made a bit more fun it really would help - it would also help some (all) of us adults too...lets face it, who wants to hurt themselves on purpose?

I have a DSI and was looking at the cooking/health "games" yesterday, they had one for healthy eating but though it mentioned the calories it did not mention the carbs, also no mention of low GI...I am unusual in that I need high calorie dense foods too (due to another illness) but if they even had low GI and gave the carb I would be delighted.

• Advertisement

Yes, we are on our third miscarriage in 6 months...I think that it is more to do with the fact that I am a cancer survivor though, we did not even think that I could get pregnant...

My problem is more that I go too low than too high - have scared my husband quite a few times...

Testing helps with blood sugars (well it helped me), but that is for another thread...

They really should have the DS machine for us over here - being a diabetic kid was tough enough but if it was made a bit more fun it really would help - it would also help some (all) of us adults too...lets face it, who wants to hurt themselves on purpose?

I have a DSI and was looking at the cooking/health "games" yesterday, they had one for healthy eating but though it mentioned the calories it did not mention the carbs, also no mention of low GI...I am unusual in that I need high calorie dense foods too (due to another illness) but if they even had low GI and gave the carb I would be delighted.

God, that's a rough hand you're dealing with. We had two miscarriages ourselves and we both found it terrible to deal with. Best of luck going forward.

The going low thing is a horrible burden on a partner. My wife has had some terrible frights when she's seen me really go low. I always tried to be open and explain that it can be a frightening thing but I don't think it hits home until it's been experienced. She has been very supportive and I really do appreciate her for it.

Going back to the game thing - I'd agree with making such a system available here. I remember being a very, very angry child/young adolescent and I think something like this might help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 mr.impossible

Fantastic idea and should do well. I am sure other blood test strip companies might do same. I imagine new model iPhone (as can now accept 3rd party hardware) will get similar add-on functions, so would be a more adult friendly option.

Ninendo Wii fit balance board does for a fraction of the cost and way more fun what expensive medical systems were doing for physio for years before.

Fantastic idea and should do well. I am sure other blood test strip companies might do same. I imagine new model iPhone (as can now accept 3rd party hardware) will get similar add-on functions, so would be a more adult friendly option.

Ninendo Wii fit balance board does for a fraction of the cost and way more fun what expensive medical systems were doing for physio for years before.
    I think the thing with this one though is that all of us secretly want a DS :D

I got one when getting ready for an aptitude test (well, that was my excuse at the time :) ) and was recovering from surgery and chemo and loved it, I still do.

I have seen that young children love them too. I was fairly fortunate that the children in my school were worried about me when I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and for the most part I was treated well but I really hated the blood tests, if this encourages any child to test then it is a good idea.

I do like the idea of the Wii, however I find the fact that it weighs you (the Wii fit) every time (well at least the way I play it) to be a bit disconcerting and my BMI is not even 20 so I have not used it (I have played on someone elses one) much to the irritation of my husband...

I personally do not like the iPhone and I am a total gadget freak but it would be great for a lot of people too...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Speaking as a non-diabetic, but, as you know from another thread, a pharmacist:
    How about a Contour meter with Bluetooth technology? Then you could hook up to your mobile phone, laptop, iPhone, whatever. Then, as well as keeping your own averages, your GP/Pharmacist/Diabetic Clinic could recieve a text or an email, and they can keep an eye on your levels too.

Edit: sorry I wrote that without having read all the rest of the posts, so I wasn't the first to have my iPhone idea. I think I was the first to mention Bluetooth, though.

Advertisement