Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formatting page numbers for thesis

Options
  • 05-07-2009 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

I am having no end of trouble formatting the page numbers on my thesis, so that it starts at ii on the page after the title page, continues in roman numberals until the first page proper of the thesis (i.e. chapter 1) and then starts at 1 and continues until the end.

I am using Word 2007 and can only seem to get it to do the whole thing in roman numerals or the whole thing in arab numerals. Grrr!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Sir Humphrey

Why not put the pages with the different numbering schemes in separate files? That would mean there's no variation/change in the type of numbering in any particular file and should eliminate the problem, if having stuff in different files does not create another problem. If you are printing the thing out and giving in a hard copy ithat should be fine. No doubt there's a way of doing it on MS Word but it's would hardly be worth the hassle of finding out of it can be done the way I suggest.

I did that when I did a thesis and emailed the pieces separately to my supervisor explaining why and he was perfectly happy. Obviously for the hard copy it was no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Use section breaks. You can restart the numbering for each section whatever way you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Macros42 wrote: »
    Use section breaks. You can restart the numbering for each section whatever way you like.

Thanks Macros - perfect solution :)
    You are a legend, sir!

Advertisement