Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting, moving abroad and the lease

• 05-07-2009 6:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

Hi

looking for some general advice please. Im currently renting a place on a 12 month lease. There is a very strong chance that Im going to leave the country in a few months time, i wasnt planning on this at the time i signed the lease but thats life eh? :)

Since i will be leaving before my lease is up im wondering what I should do? should i approach the landlord now and tell them or wait until i know for sure that im going.

what can i expect from the landord in relation to breaking the lease early?, am i correct in assuming i will lose my security deposit?

any advice or info is welcome
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The landlord should allow you to find an alternative tenant. If you do and the landlord approves you're fine. If the landlord doesn't allow you to, then you can take a case to the PRTB. If you can't find a tenant then theoretically not only do you lose your deposit but you are liable to pay the rent for the remainder of the lease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

I could put up with the loss of the deposit if it came to that, obviously id rather not.

But realistically what are the chances that the if i need to break say 5 months early from the lease that they will try to force me to pay for the remaining time?

Would it need to get legal before it could even come to that?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

ZygOte wrote: »
    I could put up with the loss of the deposit if it came to that, obviously id rather not.

But realistically what are the chances that the if i need to break say 5 months early from the lease that they will try to force me to pay for the remaining time?

Would it need to get legal before it could even come to that?

It would need to get legal- but it would be a civil as opposed to a criminal matter. Yes- landlords are increasingly likely to do this- and under Irish law- quite likely to get their pound of flesh.

One of the reasons for a set term lease- is normally you pay less rent than you would do for an open ended lease. Both you and the landlord have rights and obligations over and above those you would normally have. Unfortunately- its a legally binding contract- and you can be pursued legally if you break it.......

Talk to your landlord at the earliest possible opportunity- the longer you leave it, the more difficult it becomes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

ok thanks for the info guys,

i guess the best thing is to be up front and straight with the landlord as soon as i know what im doing.

hopefully they wont have an issue with it

Advertisement