Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N82 vs N85 vs N86 vs N958GB vs N96

Options
  • 05-07-2009 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a new phone and thought I'd ask here before making a purchase since there are lots of people that know phones much better than me.

As you've learned from the title of the topic, I have 5 phones on my radar.

I'm looking for an all-around good performing phone, I will probably play games on it from time to time.

I did my own research and narrowed down to N95 8GB out of those 5, here is why:

N96 vs N85
    The only things n96 has on n85 are 16 gigs(I don't need that much) and a useless tv tuner, other than that, n85 is faster(more cpu), has better camera, fm transmitter, led screen.

So N96 is out.

N85 vs N86
    N86 has everything that makes n85 special(led, fm transmitter) plus, internal storage(n85 has none), more ram(n85 has 85mb ram) and cpu power, better camera and has better quality build(n85 reported problems with build quality)

N85 is out.

N95 8GB vs N82
    The specs are equal(n82 has expansion slot though) camera quality is about equal(n82 is better in the dark, xenon, I don't really care for that though), n95 larger screen, gps reception - unsure.

I don't really like the N82's looks, and I love how N95 looks, so I'm willing to forget xenon and expansion slot(8GBs is plenty enough for me)

N82 is out

The finally,
    N958GB vs N86

N95 is faster(dual CPUs), has 3D acceleration and looks MUCH nicer, I hate how N86 looks.

N86 has,
    The same memory capacity as the N95 + the expansion slot

8mp camera - although some people claim the quality itself is not improved only the size of pictures, and N95 keeps up with it nicely.

fm transmiter
    LED screen

Realistically, 8 gigs is enough for me, 5mp of the N95 is fine, fm transmitter while nice, is not really needed, LED screen is also nice, but I prefer N95's larger screen.

So finally I've narrowed down to N95 8GB.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

CyberGhost wrote: »
    What do you guys think?

You may have answered your own question already. Clearly you have done your research. Another nokia that has an fm transmitter is the n97, but probably more than you want to spend. Dont forget the n95-1 which has expandable memory up to 16gb

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

All other things being equal
    N86 - new and shiny
    N95 8GB - not exactly uncommon these days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

What about the 5800?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Davy wrote: »
    You may have answered your own question already. Clearly you have done your research. Another nokia that has an fm transmitter is the n97, but probably more than you want to spend. Dont forget the n95-1 which has expandable memory up to 16gb

Cool, I want the black one though, bigger screen! :p

btw, the N95 8GBs that are being sold in Ireland/UK, they are n95-2 right? because I heard the European versions are the best, not sure which version is in the UK though, since I might buy one from there.

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    What about the 5800?

Neh, I don't like Nokia's touchscreen phones, and N97 seems like a repackaged, expensive old technology.

long_b wrote: »
    All other things being equal
    N86 - new and shiny
    N95 8GB - not exactly uncommon these days

hahah, but I really really don't like how N86 looks.

Thanks for the replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

hahah, but I really really don't like how N86 looks.

Really? It's much sleeker and smaller compared to the N95.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Dman001 wrote: »
    Really? It's much sleeker and smaller compared to the N95.

I like the N95's blocky look.

I didn't particularly like how N86's buttons and how the whole phone looks. I haven't seen it live though.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Owen101

N86 has,
    The same memory capacity as the N95 + the expansion slot

8mp camera - although some people claim the quality itself is not improved only the size of pictures, and N95 keeps up with it nicely.

You're forgetting the N86 & N82 are the only Nokias that can capture decent pictures in low light. Forget it with all other Nokias including N95,96,85. Had an N85 and there is no comparison between the 2 in terms of quality.

Versus N95, the N86 has glass and metal (with the plastic), excellent keypad, buttons, kickstand and the best version of s60 v3 feature pack 2. Generally feels like a top quality product all round and a good finale for Nokia dual sliders. Forget the old and clunky N95.

Advertisement