Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flower Baskets

Options
  • 05-07-2009 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭

Hi there = just wondering if baskets need to be feeded with all the rain we're getting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

1966 wrote: »
    Hi there = just wondering if baskets need to be feeded with all the rain we're getting?

Yes and watered regularly as well, AFAIK most hanging baskets are placed where they will not get much if any rainfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I don't water anything when it's been raining. Don't like plants or veggies to get too water logged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Plants in containers are not in a natural environment and so are totally dependent upon us for food and drink. Most plants will have developed a canopy of leaves which have spread across the surface of the soil, this creates an umbrella effect and if you lift these leaves, even after heavy rain, the soil is often bone dry. In addition, terracotta pots in particular, absorb moisture from the soil. A good rule of thumb is to stick your finger into the soil, if it feels dry, water it, if it feels moist, water it anyway. One of the drawbacks of so much watering is that the nutrients are very quickly washed out of the soil, so a liquid feed should be added about once a week in the growing season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

I would agree, feed and water!

I have had a fabulous hanging basket outside my front door, hanging under the porch kinda thing and yes I've not given it the love it deserved so I now have a hanging basket full of compost and a few yellowing things! Not a drop of rain could hit this even in our recent torrential downpours!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I use a 2 litre water bottle to water hanging baskets, handier than a watering can.

• Advertisement
Advertisement