Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Southern Irish in British army ?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Zambia232 wrote: »
    To everyone saying someone should not join the brits answer me this.

If an Irish Citizen of 26 Years of age wants to start a Military Career , How do you suggest they go about it?
    I know its not convienient but convience doesn't come into the equation for those who have been affected or know of their abuses and their sordid past and the orders that they followed from their even more dispictable. I'm sure there's plenty of places to join without having to resort to the british forces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭Terrontress

PomBear wrote: »
    I know its not convienient but convience doesn't come into the equation for those who have been affected or know of their abuses and their sordid past and the orders that they followed from their even more dispictable. I'm sure there's plenty of places to join without having to resort to the british forces

What about working for a bank that has financed oil companies doing all of the above and worse?

Or for Land Rover who have provided the vehicles for the British military?

Where do you draw the line? At the end of the day, if you want to become a soldier, go and do it somewhere that will have you, you are eligible to join and offers you good prospects.

What about working for a bank that has financed oil companies doing all of the above and worse?

Or for Land Rover who have provided the vehicles for the British military?

Where do you draw the line? At the end of the day, if you want to become a soldier, go and do it somewhere that will have you, you are eligible to join and offers you good prospects.
    Personally I wouldn't like to have an dealings with the BA but I would advise any group who are directly issued to foreign lands by the Britsh government for the goal of nothing more than the twisted notion of global capitalisation and sovereign integrity and thinks their own soldiers are disposible for ths reason and may I add that a foreigner jining their army is seen as more disposible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I know someone who is a good Career Guidance Counsellor. Perhaps a visit to a qualified one would be more appropriate than asking for advice on alternative militaries on a forum.

You dont know. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Im sure there are ... name one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

may I add that a foreigner jining their army is seen as more disposible

This is just fantastic, where are you pulling this from?

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Im sure there are ... name one.
    I'm sure there are Irish military forces that could do well for you, maybe Canada. Look into it, i'm sure you'll find more options but do go for the convienient option, trust me, it's not worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

McArmalite wrote: »
    " but you should read Andy mcNab's latest book, Seven Troop. " Fred, I know me and you have had many quarrels in the past, and will do so in the future, but seriously, Andy McNabb ?? Jayus the fella has had so many adventures and military service he must have fought in Vietnam, WW2, WW1, the Crimean War, the Battle of Hastings......Ok, I might give it a look when I'm browsing through a book shop. McNabb has sold quite a few books, so he must be quite good in his narrative.

A good book regarding the north by a British soldier is Soldier of the Queen. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Soldier-Queen-Bernard-OMahoney/dp/0863222781. Excellent book. The soldier himself doesn't pretend to be a naive but tough squaddie with youthful expectations and thinking he can make a bit of a difference to the world etc.He's a nasty bit of ill educated work, but he doesn't pretend to be any better than he is. For instance, when he talks about hearing John Lennon's assination in New York, he and his buddies based in Germany go into town that night and beat up a few American tourists. No SAS glory and adventure here, just hard bleak reality.

Yes but O Mahoney makes the same point about himself - if he'd been brought up in NI, he would have been involved in rioting, shooting etc with republicans, at one stage when he got whacked in the head for being a brit when he was back in Dungarvan he states he almost sympathised with his attacker. In any case he recognises his behaviour and that of his comrades spawned more followers of the provo's and recognises that he could have been one had he been born and raised on the Island of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Just because you don't know, doesn't mean you should care. Its called political ignorance. The British Army are one of the biggest terrorists in the world. They have beaten priests and raped nuns, beaten civilians in the streets and those were of your own country. They insured the suffering of thousands of your own countrymen. They insured poverty of these thousands for th last 80 years. This wasn't the IRA, this was the British Army's doing who in collusion with the loyalist guerrilla groups attacked West Belfast with a view of wiping out ALL catholics in that area, that is how the barricades you might have seen on history documentarys were set up. That included all innocent omen and children. The Britis Army have come infront of the European Court of Human Rights numerous times for murdering so many unarmed civilians. You saw the bombing of Kabul which was not only an illegal war but obliterated the city which murdered more innocent civilians including thousands of women and children.

Got facts to back this up? stop regurgitating old wifes tales.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I'm sure there are Irish military forces that could do well for you, maybe Canada. Look into it, i'm sure you'll find more options but do go for the convienient option, trust me, it's not worth it.

so the bombing of Kabul was part of an illegal war, but you suggest people joins hte Canadians, who are involved in the same war:eek:

you're not, by any chance, posting a load of old bollocks are you:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

gatecrash wrote: »
    What are you talking about here???

If you have an accusation, back it up. Show a linky
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/police-inquiry-on-execution-of-falklands-pows-1541308.html

Police inquiry on 'execution' of Falklands POWs

KATHY MARKS

Thursday, 20 August 1992
    Close
    Diggdel.icio.usFacebookRedditGoogleStumble UponFarkNewsvineYahooBuzzBeboMixxIndependent MindsPrintEmailText Size
    NormalLargeExtra LargeTHE METROPOLITAN Police is to conduct an official inquiry into allegations that British soldiers shot dead enemy prisoners during the Falklands campaign, in contravention of the Geneva Convention on the conduct of war.

The investigation, which was predicted in this week's Independent on Sunday, is expected to focus on two incidents during the battle for Mount Longdon in June 1982, in which members of the 3rd Battalion, The Parachute Regiment, are alleged to have killed Argentine prisoners of war and American mercenaries.

The Ministry of Defence has been studying the claims, published late last year in a book, Excursion to Hell, by Vincent Bramley, a former lance corporal in the battalion. The MoD, which has passed its findings to the police, said last night: 'Investigations were initially instigated by ourselves in response to L/Cpl Bramley's contention in his book that war crimes were committed by members of his unit, constituting grave and other breaches of the Geneva Convention. It would be wrong to speculate on the course of the inquiry, but the aim is to establish whether the allegations can be substantiated, given the available evidence.'

The Crown Prosecution Service said yesterday that it had asked Sir Peter Imbert, the Metropolitan Police Commissioner, to conduct preliminary investigations after Malcolm Rifkind, Secretary of State for Defence, referred the matter to the CPS. The force's international and organised crime branch will conduct the inquiry.

In one incident outlined in his book, Mr Bramley quotes an eyewitness account of the alleged shooting of three American mercenaries by two fellow Paras, who took them prisoner during a firefight. One of the two, referred to as Y, told him: 'We pushed them the 15 metres, out of view, then suddenly X let rip, shooting them all dead. I helped make sure they were completely dead.'

According to X, the orders to shoot had come from above.

In another passage, cut from the original draft, Mr Bramley wrote about events after the battle for Mount Longdon. 'A group of our guys had assembled some Argie prisoners on a cliff above where we had dug a body pit for their dead. Now, with the battle over, they were shooting prisoners and toppling them down to be buried. It was an outrage and senior officers stepped in immediately before the executions could get out of hand. But in the cauldrons of emotion after the battle they decided not to take further action. Court martials were the last thing we needed.'

Tam Dalyell, the Labour MP who waged a long campaign about conduct in the Falklands war, welcomed the announcement of the inquiry. 'Some five years ago I heard from someone in 3 Para roughly what had happened, but I did not pursue the matter because it was no part of my case to denigrate the British services. However, now that it has been given prominence, sleeping dogs can be allowed to lie no longer.'

Last night, Nicholas Winterton, vice-chairman of the Falkland Islands Group, condemned moves to set up an inquiry into the alleged killings.

He said: 'I am disappointed and surprised that it has been referred to the Crown Prosecution Service. What happens during war and during actual fighting is always unpleasant. This is very different from the war crime trials in Nuremberg during the last world war because that related to atrocities against civilian populations.'

Mr Winterton went on to defend the actions of soldiers caught up in hand-to-hand combat with their blood up and their lives at risk. 'I must say I have been to the site of that battle and in that scenario I would always shoot first and ask questions later. If those who died were mercenaries I have even less sympathy for them because fighting is their livelihood. They only align themselves to causes for money.'

iceage wrote: »
    Got facts to back this up? stop regurgitating old wifes tales.

Read any Autobiography of ex-IRA or most ex-UVF members and this will describe or ask any Irish Catholic of that time. Its hardly going to be reported on BBC/RTÉ. It is so largely but publicised that its largely accepted and not many disputes while having a strong grasp of Northern Irish history. If you want to dispute this even though chances are you know very little about the troubles, that's fine.

so the bombing of Kabul was part of an illegal war, but you suggest people joins hte Canadians, who are involved in the same war:eek:

you're not, by any chance, posting a load of old bollocks are you:D

Canada are the lesser of some many evils, there are not many English Speaking countries armys to join without joining a terrorist organisation also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Also, as an afterthought, Perestroika please do me a favour and stop sending me pics of George Michael would you, he is a seriously talented songwriter, singer and pacifist. I reckon he'd have a total hissy fit if he knew you were trying to impersonate him or use him to incite a violent outburst on the net. Tut tut, I expected better than that from you. If that is you response to a "thumbs up" from me on one of your posts which I have to say was given in all honesty. (It hurt me probably more than it hurt you!) You'll excuse me this one time, I'm in a really mellow mood and your bVll**** just won't rise me.

As an afterthought. You've an nice ass, fancy some action?

Pombear, "read any Autobiography of ex-IRA or most ex-UVF members ..............."

Facts mate, I'm asking you for facts. If you have any please do share them. Otherwise....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

This thread is going nowhere fast.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement