Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some Questions:

• 05-07-2009 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Perhaps someone more advanced than me could kindly answer a few q's I have:

1.) What's the difference between a stop and a yield sign at a junction exactly? - do I need to come to a full stop at a yield sign if it has a solid white line or just slow down and make careful observation before proceeding?

2.) What are the speed limits on national and regional roads?

3.) What are the stopping distances of a vehicle travelling at 50KPH and 80KPH respectively during normal driving conditions?

4.) How would you recognise a zebra pedestrian crossing?

5.) What does a broken yellow line on the left of your driving lane tell you?

I have my theory test tomorrow and I'm really nervous! :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

These are based on my own experience and current level of knowledge. Please consult the rules of the road!

1. Yield means you have to give way to other traffic. Stop is like a yield but you must come to a complete stop when doing so.

2. National 100, regional varies.

3. I should know this. I really should. I have to go learn these.

4. Is this a test? Christ I'm failing badly.

5. edge of the road / carraigeway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

boardsie08 wrote: »
    1.) What's the difference between a stop and a yield sign at a junction exactly? - do I need to come to a full stop at a yield sign if it has a solid white line or just slow down and make careful observation before proceeding?

Simply put you must come to a complete STOP at a stop sign at all times - irrespective of whether you can see the road is clear or not.

A Yield sign means that you must yield to traffic on the major road and therefore you may need to stop but you should certainly be slowing right down. If you have good visibility as you approach and confirm the road is clear you may proceed without coming to a complete stop.

Remember it is OK to stop at a yield sign when necessary but never OK to yield at a stop sign!

The road markings in Ireland are not great and in general the pole signs will take precedence - I know of at least one junction where the road is painted with a broken line and a yeild triangle and there is a STOP sign on the pole next to it :) Stop signs should have a solid line and yield signs should have a broken line.
    2.) What are the speed limits on national and regional roads?

General Speed Limits :

120 km on Motorways and some dual carriageways
    100 km/hr on national roads
    80 km/hr on regional roads
    50 km/hr in urban areas

Remember it is important to observe the speed limit sign, you cannot just take the type of road into account. There are lots of national route dual carriageways with 50km and 60km sections.
    3.) What are the stopping distances of a vehicle travelling at 50KPH and 80KPH respectively during normal driving conditions?
    Approx 24m at 50km and 52m at 80km
    4.) How would you recognise a zebra pedestrian crossing?
    Flashing amber beacons
    5.) What does a broken yellow line on the left of your driving lane tell you?

The broken yellow line marks the edge of the roadway, the area to the left is known as the 'hard shoulder' and should used for breakdowns etc
    I have my theory test tomorrow and I'm really nervous! :(

Good luck tomorrow. Btw these questions are more relevant to the questions before the driving test itself rather than the theory test which is multichoice and the questions are published in advance but I guess you know.

Advertisement