Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Series you gave up on?

Options
  • 05-07-2009 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭

Smackdown vs Raw for me. Every year I hoped they would make a wrestling sim that would mirror something like the wrestling games in japan so i gave up buying after 2007, will never buy a smackdown vs raw game, i hope one day a company will make a wrestling game that is so brilliant, excellent ai, so much fun(30 ft ladders, tables stacked on top of tables' but also a realistic wrestling sim,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

The Half life series.

The original and opposing force are the only
    truly spectacular games to come from Valve.

Half life 2 and the following episodes approach
    were a bit of a dissapointment personally for me.

Steam is a hack, never liked the authentication required
    to unlock/play games.

DRM at it's finest : \

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭IsMiseConor

Need for Speed and Guitar Hero to some extent.
    Talk about milking...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Rainbow Six, after Raven Shield when it went to the consoles and 3 man teams that was it. If they went back to larger 6-8 man squads and just had realistic CT weapons (none of this GPMG to clear a building ****) and no third person cover it would be fine.

Ghost Recon, once the Advanced Warfighter 3rd person crap started the series died for me. They ported the first game from the PC to the Xbox very well and then they decided to appeal to the masses, and man stupid 3 man teams instead of 6-8 like the Rainbow series. Yeah a 3 man team to wipe out tanks, choppers, and a few hundred Mexican rebbels:mad:. At least the old PC versions had realistic enough missions for an elite recon team.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

FIFA (after RTWC '98 - releasing two games in one year was a sign of things to come)

Need For Speed - Carbon was ok. Thought the Canyon Runs were a great idea...Pro Street was pretty bad. Haven't played Undercover. Wasn't a fan when it originally moved to the 'Fast & the Furious' style of game but can't remember what it was called at that stage.

Half-Life - To some degree...Got midway through 2 and then just stopped. Though haven't played many PC games then for a while. Just went into a 'meh' phase.

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Medal Of Honor. After Frontline it just went downhill. Stopped buying them after allied assault. Thank god for Call of Duty though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Need for speed after Hot pursuit
    Fifa after 96 on MD
    Rainbow 6 after raven sheild
    Ghost recon...graw ...bleh!
    C and C
    pro evo heading that way now :(
    Age of empires after 2
    medal of honour ^^ cheers op above :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Sonic. As soon as they tried to go 3D it got awful really fast and they haven't managed to bring out anything nearly as good as 1,2,3 or S+K.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

tony hawks and especially when they did t.h.u.g, my favorite is still tony hawks 3 on the ps2, i thought it had a great soundtrack

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

Pro Evolution Soccer. Gets worse every year it seems...lack of innovation I think! PES 4 is still the best imo. Switched over to Fifa this year...much better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Naikon wrote: »
    The Half life series.

Half life 2 and the following episodes approach
    were a bit of a dissapointment personally for me.

Steam is a hack, never liked the authentication required
    to unlock/play games.

DRM at it's finest : \

Team Fortress 2 and Portal are incredible too.

I don't think HL2 was as good as the original but it was still a great game. Played through it twice, the first day I got it downloaded (took about a day over 56K).

Used to think Steam was evil back then but once you have proper broadband, it is great. It is the best downloadable system out there.

I used direct 2 drive to buy spore and never again. Please don't do this to yourself anyone. Firstly the download took 3 days using their downloader on a 6Mbps connection that contention doesn't kick in on. It is a great connection and since it was upgraded I get 600-800kbps downloads from Steam.

Secondly, if you need to download the game more than 3 times, they charge you again for the new download. I've downloaded loads of steam games over and over as when my hard drive gets full I just delete them since Valve are sound with their system. Steam has loads of other useful features too with their social side rivaling Xbox live in many ways so it isn't a DRM system anymore really. That's just one side to it.

Most disappointing series, Guitar Hero. First one was fun, all their milking is ridiculous when you look at something like Frets on Fire which is free and pretty much the same thing in many ways. The whole Rockband thing took it to a new level though. Talk about lunacy IMO.

Prince of Persia is going downhill although I did give in and get it and it was fun but not as good as the previous games which weren't as good as the 2D one. If the next one is crap, I'm gone.

Fifa etc..., all sports games really. All crap game play wise when it comes down to it and only fun with friends because of the social aspect. Can get that with so many other games like Halo or Wii games so whats the point?

COD, unlike most people I guess, I thought 4 was a big disappointment. Got that but ditched the series right there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

commandos.

NFS

off the top of my head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Fifa from 01!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Corcs001 wrote: »
    Pro Evolution Soccer. Gets worse every year it seems...lack of innovation I think! PES 4 is still the best imo. Switched over to Fifa this year...much better!

You might be switching back for Pro Evo this year :pac: it's going to be completely revamped. The have over 150 extra staff working on the game just to get it right!. I can't wait for the game.

To keep with the thread, Tony Hawk series is one I gave up on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Most of Squaresofts franchises.

Final Fantasy has become nothing more than a brand name to slap on something. FFXI and XII weren't FF games but had the name slapped on them too sell, same with spin-offs like revenant wings and such. I'm really hoping FFXIII is more like the old games because I'm perfectly happy to drop the whole series since I've got the far better Shin Megami Tensei series to plow through and whatever Level 5 bring out.

Same with the Mana series. Secret of Mana was exellent. Seiken Densetsu 3 even better. Then it was downhill from there. They even ruined the remake of the first one by putting in too much story sequences.

Metal Gear Solid is close to being dropped by me. After getting everything so right with MGS 3 I can't believe how badly they messed up with MGS 4. Portable ops isn't endearing itself to me either.

Silent Hill is another one. The series has just been homages to SH2 since Konami farmed it out to third parties with no understanding that the game is about intelligent storytelling and not cool monsters.

Oh, Worms
    Civilisation
    Command and Conquer
    Sims

I'm sure there are more I'll think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Sonic. As soon as they tried to go 3D it got awful really fast and they haven't managed to bring out anything nearly as good as 1,2,3 or S+K.

The switch to 3D doesn't treat a few games well - Sensible Soccer, Worms

/sigh

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Kinetic^ wrote: »

surprised it took 8 posts for someone to say it...

Opposing force was done by gearbox not valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Donnaghm

Well I'll be buying the new resident evil. series is getting a bit tired but i can't help myself. this one has semi intelligent zombies. wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Nfs after Mostwanted. Carbon was ok though, but like an idiot I bought Pro Street :(:(:(

Tony Hawk: I had THUG1, then I didn't buy anything, then the skate. demo came out and I loved it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

FIFA 96 was awesome. after that no thanks.
    Sonic Adventure 2, after that I had enough
    Spyro the Dragon. Gave up after number 3.
    Medal Of Honor. Gave up after European Assault.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i still dont understand how ppl can dislike half life 2. should revoke their gaming license. C&C has gone downhill... such a shame. red alert 2 was the last good one

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

i never liked half life 2. just wasnt fond of it it all, but would happily play any of the mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Command and Conquer. Found the last few games pedestrian and antiquated. Although I did play C&C3 and Red Alert 3 on a console so that might have had something to do with it.

Shocked SHOCKED to see Call of Duty and Half Life in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Grand Theft Auto, loved them and cleared them, that is until I got to GTA4 which I gave up after 40% as it just got repeditive and predictable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Need for Speed

Having said that, I have very high hopes for the next one... Those Burnout boys sure know how to make a game!

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Grand Theft Auto, loved them and cleared them, that is until I got to GTA4 which I gave up after 40% as it just got repeditive and predictable

The lost and the damned makes up for GTA4's poor showing IMO. Its a little more GTA style than the main story and a lot more fun if you have the 360 version. If Pc, I think it is coming for Pc eventually, maybe for PS3 on a disc with other DLC content from 360.

I stopped playing C&C after Red Alert 2. Tiberium Sun was the previous title I played that caused me to give up the first time and I had a feeling that after Red Alert 2, they'd never get it right again TBH even though Red Alert was enjoyable, it was still not as good as the earlier games.

As for COD4, I despise the online for that game and the single player is way too short. The online is just not fun. Its hectic, mad, serious, intense and I enjoyed it for a short while but just got annoyed at the whole thing. I did quite well when I played it so it wasn't that but it just lacks charisma of games like HL2 and Team Fortress 2.

Oh I've given up on Sonic too :( Unless a game comes out that wins game of the year, Sonic is dead in 3D.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ballybay_eh

I think I've given up on the Gears of War series. It's not that the last one was bad. The graphics were top notch. The co-op was well implemented. The gameplay itself was well polished too. The whole package though... Once I'd finished it... I don't know, I just felt no desire whatsoever to revisit the franchise.

Maybe it's because it's just the first game with a bit of a spit polish. There'd have to be something drastic enough changes to the 3rd to bring me back to the fold.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Resi 6 needs to ditch the online co-op and give us a single player game of Reis 4 quality. Bring Shinji Mikami back!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Silent Hill is another one. The series has just been homages to SH2 since Konami farmed it out to third parties with no understanding that the game is about intelligent storytelling and not cool monsters.

The re-imagining of Silent Hill 1 on the Wii is sizing up to be quite nice, some of the behind the scenes stuff looks fantastic (game adapting to your play-style etc)

Most anything with the Star Wars name attached to it. eg. They had Rogue Squadron so good, Rogue Leader was really enjoyable aaaaaand then came the third. My God. Those ground-based missions, I would have enjoyed George Lucas vomiting on my lap more.

Same with Sonic, although... the Sonic levels in that werehog game were getting back on track as regards a playable game. Still, balanced with the werehog levels, Christ.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Resi 6 needs to ditch the online co-op and give us a single player game of Reis 4 quality. Bring Shinji Mikami back!

Resi 6 needs to either go back to Resi 4 mechanics or even further back to tank controls and proper fear rather than fright-scares and Capcom-politics.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

no f**ck this. not liking hl2 is fukin retarded. its likeing saying the godfather wak "ok" as a film. i cant fukin stand ppl not actualling listening to it and playing it. give them some george orwell and they'd get bored. fukin retarded. dont know how to play a game if ya ask me...unless it had mAd GfXXX. taken out and shot...

Advertisement