Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Series you gave up on?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Same here with Pro Evo. Online wouldn't make a difference as the game's fundamentals have changed too much. It's gone from being a football simulator to an arcade game and has been left in FIFA's dust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I agree. I tried playing through HL2 recently, even with the cinematic mod that makes it look amazing, and it just feels like a slog for the most part. I mean when I played it first I was blown away, but games have moved on since then and it has been bettered numerous times since.

I, however, don't see why anyone would "give up" on the series. They have continued to progress the story and evolve the gameplay, with the episodes having pockets of action much closer together.

I dunno though, HL2 creates its atmosphere very well and it doesn't have an unrealistic amount of action in it considering it whats going on.

Compared to a game like Gears of War where there are enemies everywhere all the time, it seems a little more restrained and thought out.

I still rate it highly. I think I would have preferred not to have the vehicle sections but considering the journey your on, they do make sense. The vehicles could have controlled better I guess but considering they are scrap metal they shouldn't really handle like sports cars and power boats.

I consider that to be like the criticism that the shooting in Mirrors Edge is poorly implemented when they made it difficult by design because it isn't primarily a shooter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

I agree. I tried playing through HL2 recently, even with the cinematic mod that makes it look amazing, and it just feels like a slog for the most part. I mean when I played it first I was blown away, but games have moved on since then and it has been bettered numerous times since.

I, however, don't see why anyone would "give up" on the series. They have continued to progress the story and evolve the gameplay, with the episodes having pockets of action much closer together.
    HL2 is so far ahead of the class when it comes to SP gaming its not even funny. No game has yet to tell a story as well as HL2 did. No game has characters that are as likeable as the characters in HL2. games may look better these days, but none have such a good use of physics (bar Crysis, but that falls flat where HL2 excels, in storytelling). IMO HL2 has not been bettered, and the way things are going, it won't be for a long time. Current gen graphics don't necessarily make a better game.

Never got the whole Half-Life obsession myself. Granted I played the first one years after it came out, but the second just plodded along for me. Ravenholme was nice but the rest of it was just average.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

IMO HL2 has not been bettered

I'd rate CoD4 ahead of HL2. The pacing, gameplay and immersion was better than HL2 imo. I also found the story in Call of Juarez (the first one) to be the best of any FPS I've ever played. Graphically, yeah Crysis is amazing, but I found Crysis: Warhead to be everything Crysis wasn't. It delved deeper into the story and also spent a lot more time developing the character you where playing.

Don't get me wrong, HL2 is a great game but I think some people are viewing it with rose tinted glasses on. Seriously go back and play it again, without any graphical mods it looks horrible, and the pacing is just so drawn out in parts that I was literally yawning my way through it (the drive along the coast was particularly boring) Ravenholm, for as tense as it was originally, has been bettered in the likes Penumbra, FEAR or Dead Space since.

That is not to say I didn't love it when I first played it, but that other games, from different genres maybe, have bettered every single aspect of the game.

i.e. if someone was to play to game for the first time today, do you think they would rate it above every game released since in the last 5 years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'd rate CoD4 ahead of HL2.

I agree, I cba finishing HL2 whereas I found myself wanting to continue playing COD4 and re-played it on the harder settings too.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

HL2 is so far ahead of the class when it comes to SP gaming its not even funny. No game has yet to tell a story as well as HL2 did. No game has characters that are as likeable as the characters in HL2. games may look better these days, but none have such a good use of physics (bar Crysis, but that falls flat where HL2 excels, in storytelling). IMO HL2 has not been bettered, and the way things are going, it won't be for a long time. Current gen graphics don't necessarily make a better game.

Agreed. Half Life 2's design is so informed and intelligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I swear i have shot your man and his annoying daughter about a million times, god damn annoying characters and that stupid alien with the awesome powers that opens doors for you then ****s off and leaves you vs a 1000 crabs with a poxy crowbar!! genius storytelling right there.

HL2 was good Ep 1 and 2 not so good hence me giving up on it.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I actually just recently went back and played HL2 again and the 2 episdoes and I found them as good as I remembered them. I think the pacing is very well done, I don't recall myself tiring once of the gameplay. Great atmosphere and setting that left you wanting to find more. Chacacters are well thought out. Valve really put alot of care into evey detail yet at the same time are not afriad of cutting cotent and streamlining. Its not flawless, its no Deus Ex! but its still a classic.

I would not rate COD4 that highly. Its a good game no doubt, it had an interesting story which was a first for COD and it wasn't the typical potrayal of American and British soliders. It had a pretty unique twist mid game as well. The core gameplay was there and it does well to immerse you quickly in the carnage of war. Its multiplayer is easy to pick up and play and it introduce a leveling system to multiplayer. Problem is the overwhemling sense of Deja Vu. From a gameplay perspective its basically the same as the orginal COD. Same dumb A.I that means your freindly AI troops never push up and the enemy A.I always targets you, same endless waves of respawning enemies. Its those sort of the thing that quickly break immersion. There isn't alot of viration to it either.

As for Crysis Warhead, I found the character development and story just as rubbish as the first Crysis. Yeah Pyscho had more personality than Nomad but the whole thing was still pure B grade hokem. It was a lot more action packed alright but I don't think I have a preference of one over the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Total War..sick of praying for AI to do someing clever :mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i wouldnt have cod on the same tier as hl in single player. not nearly. i really do fail to see how ppl can think hl2 was "meh" though. it just doesnt add up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

There was two definining characteristics of HL2...firstly a very atmospheric opening.

Secondly great RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEE inducing sections where some ****ing helicopter followed you around entire levels shooting you and there was not a ****ing thing you could do about it. It seemed to be a giant "**** YOU!!!!" from the developers and/or hateful sub humans who designed those levels and thought it would be "fun!" or "challenging".

Needless to say, completing HL2 wasnt to enjoy the "fun" and "challenging" gameplay of such sections. It was so I could say to the devs "**** YOU! **** YOU! **** YOU! I BEAT YOUR ****TY ****ING LEVELS AND BLATANTLY ADVERTISED PHYSICS PUZZLES AND SPECIAL BOSS SECTIONS...
    **** YOU!"

I didnt bother with any further expansions. I tried replaying the game only about a month ago. Needless to say as soon as that ****ing helicopter showed up I quit game and didnt go back.

Oh yeah. Greatest game ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,691 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Sand wrote: »
    There was two definining characteristics of HL2...firstly a very atmospheric opening.

Secondly great RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEE inducing sections where some ****ing helicopter followed you around entire levels shooting you and there was not a ****ing thing you could do about it. It seemed to be a giant "**** YOU!!!!" from the developers and/or hateful sub humans who designed those levels and thought it would be "fun!" or "challenging".

Needless to say, completing HL2 wasnt to enjoy the "fun" and "challenging" gameplay of such sections. It was so I could say to the devs "**** YOU! **** YOU! **** YOU! I BEAT YOUR ****TY ****ING LEVELS AND BLATANTLY ADVERTISED PHYSICS PUZZLES AND SPECIAL BOSS SECTIONS...
    **** YOU!"

I didnt bother with any further expansions. I tried replaying the game only about a month ago. Needless to say as soon as that ****ing helicopter showed up I quit game and didnt go back.

Some people should only play games with "Barbie" in the title. You clearly lack the hand eye coordination necessary to play anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

astrofool wrote: »
    Some people should only play games with "Barbie" in the title. You clearly lack the hand eye coordination necessary to play anything else.

But hes right. you coudlnt kill the chopper until the game let you.

Yes, clearly I just kept missing the helicopter...thats what I did wrong. Run along now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

dreamers75 wrote: »
    But hes right. you coudlnt kill the chopper until the game let you.

Always hated that section. Nothing worse than when a game has to 'cheat'.

kill it with wat tho? its an attack helicopter. you have a gun.
    anyone who thinks that HL2 was just a physics demonstration needs their brain examined.
    its like saying the godfather was just a demonstration in Marlon Brando's acting ability. i dunno, at the end of the day, people watch X-Factor and think that Pete Doherty has talent beyond being a chemical factory.. heck they even buy one of the many books written about him. at the end of the day, ppl are wrong

and yes sand, that bit is not that hard in HL2. go back to pokemon :)

Yes, clearly I just kept missing the helicopter...thats what I did wrong. Run along now.

oh right, your one of those ppl. my mistake. enjoy gears of war

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

**** YOU!"

George Orwell didn't say anything about making rash judgments in anger did he? Back to the farm I think.

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    George Orwell didn't say anything about making rash judgments in anger did he? Back to the farm I think.

i do love a well used orwell reference :)

• Advertisement

kill it with wat tho? its an attack helicopter. you have a gun.

Good luck with that.
    and yes sand, that bit is not that hard in HL2. go back to pokemon

Yes, yes - I have completed the game many moons ago thus proving my manhood by the standards set by mouth breathers everywhere. Its not a hard game, its a bloody annoying game with many sections which seem either badly designed or purposely designed to annoy the **** out of you.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I think in 3 or 4 play throughs I may have only died once in that section. Didn't strike me as hard at all.

Good luck with that.

Yes, yes - I have completed the game many moons ago thus proving my manhood by the standards set by mouth breathers everywhere. Its not a hard game, its a bloody annoying game with many sections which seem either badly designed or purposely designed to annoy the **** out of you.

ur just wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I unintentionally gave up on Call of Duty after United Offensive. I was waiting to finish exams or build a new computer before trying COD2... well I've finished exams, but I've yet to build that new computer I was looking for :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

You could pick yourself up a 360 for €250 and play CoD 2 and 4, and 3 if you really want to. The controls work really well, after first playing CoD2 on the PC I was amazed how well it turned out on the 360.

Jazzy wrote: »
    and yes sand, that bit is not that hard in HL2. go back to pokemon :)

Gladly. It's a much more challenging, in-depth and enjoyable game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

You could pick yourself up a 360 for €250 and play CoD 2 and 4, and 3 if you really want to. The controls work really well, after first playing CoD2 on the PC I was amazed how well it turned out on the 360.
    I already have a 360, but I don't like playing FPS games with a controller, especially those with competitive multiplayer (my favourite aspect of the original). I'm sure I'll catch up some day :)

Gladly. It's a much more challenging, in-depth and enjoyable game.

ha, yeah i have 2 mates playing the platnium edition on their DS's atm. they are trying to get me on board... i dunno tho.

but no, HL2 > pokemon

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pokemon is awesome, you should try it. I'd rate Pokemon well above HL2.

I actually found HL1 to be a much better game than HL2. Far better imagination in the levels and better pacing.

• Advertisement

i have decided that all those that think half life 2 is "meh" are inferior forms of life and their opinions are worth nothing as they arent educated enough to know what they are doing when they play a computer game. their judgemental skills are a farce and there is no actual depth to their thought process. weightless opinions bound by words on a LCD screen. floaty light, just like rice krispies

Advertisement