Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LC Biology Course

• 05-07-2009 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭

Just did my Leaving Cert, hopefully starting Psychology in September.
    I didn't do Biology though, and I wanted to know if that would put me at a disadvantage?
    Would it be worth getting a LC book secondhand and going over the stuff a bit?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,551 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Not necessarily, but I understand where you're coming from. One of our neuroscience lecturers said it's like learning a new language and you learn 10 new words per page from the textbook (or some such figure) for different parts of the brain and related systems. Getting an introductory neuro book might help? This was one of the books we used. I recently saw this in the second hand section of Chapters on Parnell St. Avoid buying new if you can. Your Students Union may also have a second hand shop.

I hope you get the course you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

Brilliant, thanks so much. I'll definitely have a look for that.
    I have an introductory Psych textbook already but biological is only one chapter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Any LC book will not prepare you for any university course. Usually the explanations given in LC textbooks are plain wrong (I had to re-learn chemistry despite getting an A at LC when I did my science degree) so no point learning stuff you will have to forget! Plus, all university courses are designed so anyone with no previous knowledge of an area is not at a disadvantage. And to be honest, with the increasing emphasis on biology in psychology, you're probably just as well to have done biology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Oh and that Kolb and Whishaw book is a good intro text. They do another called Fundamentals of Human Neuropsychology or something similar which is IMO better but either is a good book to have to hand in first year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,551 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

If you're so inclined and have the time try putting 'neuroscience' into the iTunes store and you'll get some podcasts from MIT et al.

Videos such as this might also give you an idea of what to expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Not doing LC biology won't put you at a disadvantage.
    If you want to swot up, start studying statistics for psychology, and get a book on SPSS - I think a lot of people get a shock at the maths/stats involved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

You should be fine without biology, i didnt do any science subject in secondary and i got through it not problem. Actually i studied science for 1 month in school and the teacher told my parents that i was a very nice child just not scientifically minded!!!! So goes to show what bloody use secondary school is!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

Advertisement