Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scanner as a AIS Receiver

• 05-07-2009 11:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Just found this part of boards last night and have been "playing" with http://marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?level0=100 ever since.

I was at home over the weekend (in Waterford) and compared what I saw at sea with what this site showed. There was a lot more at sea.

Any way, I want to get more into this and hope I already have the bits & pieces. Is it possible to use a Uniden scanner as an AIS receiver? What freq's am I looking for?

Also, many moons ago, I used to use a 1/2 wave dipole, for the 27mhz band, in the attic space very effectively. Would a VHF antenna work just as well there. Obviously I know the optimimum location is outside but I would not be let.

This would add very nicely to what I am currently trying to do. I have a weather station setup down there which I am hoping to connect to the web to give real time weather conditions. I am currently looking for a SMALL affordable server that I could leave running when I am not there. Allowing it to operate as an AIS station would be an added bonus for me.

D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭fatboymsport

I know nothing about AIS but there are a few lads into it on frequencydb.com try asking on the forum there.

the might be members here also ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

I know nothing about AIS but there are a few lads into it on frequencydb.com try asking on the forum there.

the might be members here also ????

Thanks for that. That is a brilliant site. Now I have found yet another toy to play with when I have AIS setup - ACAR.

I have to talk my wife into letting me put up an external antenna. How much are roses these days????

Thank you again.

D

Advertisement