Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buckfast

Options
  • 05-07-2009 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi All.

Does anyone know of anywhere online in Ireland which sells Buckfast Tonic Wine?

Best Regards,

Milesy
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Superquinn, and probably Tesco too.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

If I remember correctly most local chemists also sell it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Milesy

Nothing on the Superquinn website.

I should have been more specific. I am trying to find somewhere online in Ireland which would deliver to Scotland. I dont have a problem with any customs taxes and/or other charges which might occur .

Milesy wrote: »
    Nothing on the Superquinn website.
    No, this on the Superquinn website:
    bfast.png
    I am trying to find somewhere online in Ireland which would deliver to Scotland.
    Buckfast delivered to Scotland? www.coals-to-newcastle.com?

They sell a different variation of it in Ireland which I am very eager to taste :o

• Advertisement

Found it on that site now, but unfortunately only local deliveries. Maybe I am looking for maybe an actaual wine merchant or something rather than a supermarket. Thanks for helping.

Long shot. But would anyone ship some over to me if I paid them for their trouble? :o:pac:

I am assured by bona fide Buckfast connoisseurs of my acquaintance (I'm from Armagh, I can't help who my schoolmates were) that they taste the same. The only real difference is the colour of the glass.

You could be right, but I am still eager to get a hold of some, even if it is just for the different label and fancy label on the neck - we dont have that. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

You could be right, but I am still eager to get a hold of some, even if it is just for the different label and fancy label on the neck - we dont have that. :o

"fancy" LOL!

Long shot. But would anyone ship some over to me if I paid them for their trouble? :o:pac:
    It's perhaps best not to ask people to break the law for you on a public forum: none of us can sell you drink without holding an off licence.

Any of the wine retailers here want to help the chap out?

• Advertisement

That seems like a bit of an over zealous interpretation to me? :)

That seems like a bit of an over zealous interpretation to me? :)

You're right, I'm totally misreading section 7 of the Intoxicating Liquor (General) Act, 1924:

7.—(1) From and after the passing of this Act no person shall sell, expose for sale, or keep for sale, by retail, any intoxicating liquor without being duly licensed so to sell the same, or at any place where he is not authorised by his licence to sell the same unless, like, he's just whanging a bottle of Bucky over to Milesy for a few quid: that's grand, no worries.

Lol. I understand what you are saying, no offence intended. I was just thinking that purchasing on behalf of someone else who is able to purchase alcohol is not the same as becoming a seller of alcohol.

The key words in the legislation you have provided are "sell" and "sale" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Centra stock it...by the bucket loads actually. Try your local store.

DenMan wrote: »
    Centra stock it...by the bucket loads actually. Try your local store.

Thank you. I am trying to find an online merchant who will ship to Glasgow though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

I understand what you are saying, no offence intended.
    None taken :)
    I was just thinking that purchasing on behalf of someone else who is able to purchase alcohol is not the same as becoming a seller of alcohol.
    Absolutely: purchasing on behalf of someone else is not the same. I could go out now and procure your Buckfast no problem.

But then what? I could post it to you for free -- the exciseman would take a dim view of that, but it happens, and you'd just have to cough up for the taxes if the package was stopped. However, as soon as you give me money then I am selling the Buckfast, and breaking the law by doing so.
    The key words in the legislation you have provided are "sell" and "sale" :P
    I'm all ears to hear how one of us giving you wine in exchange for you giving us money does not constitute "selling".

DenMan wrote: »
    Nope -- that's the UK version.

BeerNut wrote: »

Absolutely: purchasing on behalf of someone else is not the same. I could go out now and procure your Buckfast no problem.

But then what? I could post it to you for free -- the exciseman would take a dim view of that, but it happens, and you'd just have to cough up for the taxes if the package was stopped. However, as soon as you give me money then I am selling the Buckfast, and breaking the law by doing so.

I'm all ears to hear how one of us giving you wine in exchange for you giving us money does not constitute "selling".

You could buy some rare "British money" from me with some Wine :D lol!

I get what your saying "on paper". I get my mate who plays football on a scholarship in Tennesse to send me bottles of rare Jack Daniels over to me. On paper it is classed as selling then? I guess it is all just down to you interpret the situation lol :P

On paper it is classed as selling then?
    If you get money in exchange for things then that is called "selling".
    I guess it is all just down to you interpret the situation lol :P, Your Honour
    Post fixed.

• Advertisement

On a related note, there was a underground night club in Glasgow which ran for years and never had am alcohol licence. When you paid in there was a brick-a-brack stall with stuff like old books and stuff. You purchased a book, and then you could swap it at the bar for a free drink. Strangely the place operated for years. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

What happens if I go down the offy, to pick up some beer, and one of the mates calls me and asks me to get him some.
    Am I selling it to him, when I get the money from him later?

Yup. I wouldn't advise you go advertising a similar service to strangers on an open forum like this.

Yup. I wouldn't advise you go advertising a similar service to strangers on an open forum like this.

Not at all my good fellow, not at all.

I just think this is interesting. What if I give someone the beer FOC but charge them for the time it took me to get it

Again this is all hypothetical, even though I doubt that the garda are going to raid my house, for picking up a six pack for the buddy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

What happens if I go down the offy, to pick up some beer, and one of the mates calls me and asks me to get him some.

You have to give it to him for free I guess. :D

Saruman wrote: »
    You have to give it to him for free I guess. :D

Nice try:p
    See above, charge him for the transport of said liquid

or drink it myself in front of him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

On a related note, there was a underground night club in Glasgow which ran for years and never had am alcohol licence. When you paid in there was a brick-a-brack stall with stuff like old books and stuff. You purchased a book, and then you could swap it at the bar for a free drink. Strangely the place operated for years. :eek:

Something like that in Italy too. You buy tokens in the nightclub (either shot, pint or cocktail tokens) and swap them on for drink.

I just think this is interesting.
    It is, isn't it?
    What if I give someone the beer FOC but charge them for the time it took me to get it
    If money changed hands at all in the transaction, however detailed the invoice you provided, then you were selling. It's the same as saying the money was for the aluminium, or for a bar of chocolate which happened to cost the same, or for admission to your house where the beer is stored.

Anywhere that alcohol is any way connected with the movement of money, there's probably a licensing issue, and generally an excise one as well.

It is, isn't it?

If money changed hands at all in the transaction, however detailed the invoice you provided, then you were selling. It's the same as saying the money was for the aluminium, or for a bar of chocolate which happened to cost the same, or for admission to your house where the beer is stored.

Anywhere that alcohol is any way connected with the movement of money, there's probably a licensing issue, and generally an excise one as well.

I am confused then, with the delivery boy, who drops the beer to the off licence, from the warehouse.
    Does he need some bonding certificate or something?

PS children, always ensure to not confuse bonding, with bondage

• Advertisement

I am confused then, with the delivery boy, who drops the beer to the off licence, from the warehouse.
    Does he need some bonding certificate or something?
    The delivery boy, if he works for a law-abiding firm, is not accepting cash-on-delivery. The offie will make the payment at the warehouse, generally by phone or web or credit transfer or whatever.

It's the same deal with online beer or wine retailers, of which there are many: you give your credit card details remotely, they run the transaction in their licensed premises, and then deliver your stuff. They're legal; dial-a-can services are not.

Advertisement