Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buckfast

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

BeerNut wrote: »
    The delivery boy, if he works for a law-abiding firm, is not accepting cash-on-delivery. The offie will make the payment at the warehouse, generally by phone or web or credit transfer or whatever.

It's the same deal with online beer or wine retailers, of which there are many: you give your credit card details remotely, they run the transaction in their licensed premises, and then deliver your stuff. They're legal; dial-a-can services are not.

OK,

In future I will get him the beer and he can pay for the taxi to town, later?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

In future I will get him the beer and he can pay for the taxi to town, later?
    Have I suddenly become the Booze Police? If so, er, yes, that will be acceptable sir, and always ensure your taxi is a licensed veh-hickle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Have I suddenly become the Booze Police? If so, er, yes, that will be acceptable sir, and always ensure your taxi is a licensed veh-hickle.

I am just an argumentative git at the best of times, I like arguments for some reason.

Not even arguments, more debating the merit of a certain point of view

Not even arguments, more debating the merit of a certain point of view
    We're talking Irish licensing law, though: "merit" does not enter the equation at any point ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bawheed

Ah kin get ye a boattle mate, jist send me the money an ahl take kerr ay it :p

Interesting stoary oan the subject

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6095474.stm

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

Just so ya know, Buckfast from the Republic DOES taste different. It's way nicer from England/The North in my (and many others) oppinion

Any of these opinions based on blind tasting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

OLP wrote: »
    Just so ya know, Buckfast from the Republic DOES taste different. It's way nicer from England/The North in my (and many others) oppinion

Not sure bout it tasting different but Buckfast in the south is a thicker consistency then the UK version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭RDM_83

Did a taste test with them before (not blind though), certainly a taste difference, northern slightly less sweet and more tannic;it is less obvious though than the difference in consistency (which is probably why people often prefer UK version)

ps You can sometimes buy UK buckfast in smaller non chain offlicences, know that last year you could buy it on talbot street offy (one close to supervalue)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭tippguy

local offie manager to the rescue. i'll sort you out no problem if you still need it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Went to the offo there recently and they had the British Buckfast, the one with the bit of white writing and the green bottle, and it tastes totally different. A lot thinner consistency, and it's a much more winey taste, I much prefer the Irish stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

love this drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Gerty wrote: »
    love this drink.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I am just shocked about the caffeine content of it. Per 100ml it has higher caffeine content than Red Bull and other similar energy drinks. The thing is rocket fuel!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

You're right, I'm totally misreading section 7 of the Intoxicating Liquor (General) Act, 1924:

7.—(1) From and after the passing of this Act no person shall sell, expose for sale, or keep for sale, by retail, any intoxicating liquor without being duly licensed so to sell the same, or at any place where he is not authorised by his licence to sell the same unless, like, he's just whanging a bottle of Bucky over to Milesy for a few quid: that's grand, no worries.

Haha, blunt as ever, Beernut.

Sorry Milsey, we don't stock any in our shop and I don't know of any independents who would ship it to Scotland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Jeff Albertson

Yeah the Northern Buckfast is different from the Southern one. One is in a green bottle and the other is a brown - an Armagh friend also explained the difference to me one day and that the Southern bottle is poison! Funnily enough wikipedia gives the differences in ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭GenghisCon

Adding boiling water to a quantity (personally I like 1 in 2 dilution) buckfast actually results in a surprisingly pleasant hot toddy. A wee dash of rum, brown sugar, and a cloved lemon are welcome additions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Milesy

My search is still fruitless.

Would anyone be able to send me an empty bottle at least? I will pay for the trouble! :(

Advertisement