Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Washes

• 06-07-2009 1:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

I shall no longer be duped into forking out for one again! At €6 a pop for the ''Basic'' i came to see the light (and also saving a few €'s too)

Went into Halfrauds they're doing a 3 for the price of 2 on cleaning products got sponges, car wash formula, and a roll of heavy duty cloth, came to €6.13.

20 mins, garden hose, bucket, and a bit of elbow grease (Good bit of Cardio too) and she looks just as good as she came out of the car wash.

But now i've the gear to give her another wash again, so really free car washes baby! :D

Up yours local petrol stations!:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

And + car washes scratch your car and leave horrible swirls in the paint.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Never a fan of petrol station car washes. A little bit of elbow grease and warm water does the job, plus you have the satisfaction of looking at the end product. a nice clean car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

Volvoboy wrote: »
    I shall no longer be duped into forking out for one again! At €6 a pop for the ''Basic'' i came to see the light (and also saving a few €'s too)

Went into Halfrauds they're doing a 2 for the price of 3 on cleaning products got sponges, car wash formula, and a roll of heavy duty cloth, came to €6.13.

20 mins, garden hose, bucket, and a bit of elbow grease (Good bit of Cardio too) and she looks just as good as she came out of the car wash.

But now i've the gear to give her another wash again, so really free car washes baby! :D

Up yours local petrol stations!:pac:
    2 euro in santry,cheaper than doing it yourself!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Went to Halfrauds my self the weekend and did the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

And + car washes scratch your car and leave horrible swirls in the paint.

So do sponges!

OP, get yourself a wash mitt and an extra bucket for rinsing it out before you put it in the suds again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

I'd rather give someone 6 quid than do it myself:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

When it s a nice weather I ll always wash the car myself.
    It s only when the car is dirty for few weeks and it s pissing rain that I would go to car wash.
    Plus I got a power compressor for washing the car last week for only 33 euro and it works a treat and it makes the job much easier.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

man don't use a sponge on your car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Volvoboy wrote: »
    Went into Halfrauds they're doing a 2 for the price of 3 on cleaning products got sponges, car wash formula, and a roll of heavy duty cloth, came to €6.13.
    They're living up to their Halfrauds nickname then :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Top Dog wrote: »
    They're living up to their Halfrauds nickname then :pac:

:D, i'm not to worried about swirls on a 13 year old car, and besides i polish it weekly. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

steve06 wrote: »
    What do you suggest instead?

Also, if you have a lawn wash the car on it rather than the driveway. This is to trap dirt and oil so they don't go into the street drain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Magnus wrote: »

Also, if you have a lawn wash the car on it rather than the driveway. This is to trap dirt and oil so they don't go into the street drain.

Microfibre mitten and two buckets of water
    gomiata_2058_7627686

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

WTF
    DIRT AND OIL
    dirt of the car you'd rather have on your lawn
    oil from washing it ,
    makes no sense to me
    thats why drains are in peoples drive ways for dirt ,
    the amount off dirt that comes out of the gutter after heavy rain should be brushed onto your lawn or let it go down the drain?????

maybe i misunderstood you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

steve06 wrote: »

Can't say I concur with this statement. I use a sponge on mine and there are no marks caused by it.

WTF
    DIRT AND OIL
    dirt of the car you'd rather have on your lawn
    oil from washing it ,
    makes no sense to me
    thats why drains are in peoples drive ways for dirt ,
    the amount off dirt that comes out of the gutter after heavy rain should be brushed onto your lawn or let it go down the drain?????

maybe i misunderstood you

Few people realize that washing our cars in our driveways is one of the most environmentally un-friendly chores we can do around the house.

Unlike household waste water that enters sewers or septic systems and undergoes treatment before it is discharged into the environment, what runs off from your car goes right into storm drains -- and eventually into rivers, streams, creeks and wetlands where it poisons aquatic life and wreaks other ecosystem havoc.
    After all, that water is loaded with a witch’s brew of gasoline, oil and residues from exhaust fumes -- as well as the harsh detergents being used for the washing itself.

The many different products we use to wash our cars are harmful to water quality and aquatic life. When we hose off the cars in the driveway, street or parking lot, the dirt and detergent flow along the gutter and into the storm drain.
    Sanitary sewers go to treatment plants - storm sewers go to streams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

E39MSport wrote: »
    Can't say I concur with this statement. I use a sponge on mine and there are no marks caused by it.

Small stone/heavy grit on car prior to washing - a sponge has a flat base, so one is pressing the stone/grit etc into the paintwork & then you agitate away thinking you are doing wonders - results, scratches. Micro fibre cloths/sponge gloves, have loose floppy bristles, no flat surface, no horrible scratches....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

Few people realize that washing our cars in our driveways is one of the most environmentally un-friendly chores we can do around the house.

Unlike household waste water that enters sewers or septic systems and undergoes treatment before it is discharged into the environment, what runs off from your car goes right into storm drains -- and eventually into rivers, streams, creeks and wetlands where it poisons aquatic life and wreaks other ecosystem havoc.
    After all, that water is loaded with a witch’s brew of gasoline, oil and residues from exhaust fumes -- as well as the harsh detergents being used for the washing itself.

The many different products we use to wash our cars are harmful to water quality and aquatic life. When we hose off the cars in the driveway, street or parking lot, the dirt and detergent flow along the gutter and into the storm drain.

well untill the local council enforce this eco rule i'll be washing cars where and when i want.
    and when they do i'll apply for waste water treatment licence'
    or just use rain water in a water tank 'then its recycled water .

i really hate these eco rules and regulations , FFS it all gets recycled anyway.
    maybe if they banned cigarettes instead of making them more expensive and upping the tax on every thing just to pocket the money for them selfs

fookin eco warriors hug a tree better still dont be in the motor section
    makes no sense

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=101974&highlight=rain+water

fookin eco warriors hug a tree better still dont be in the motor section
    Talking to me?

Anyway, just by moving the car from the tarmac to the grass you can still wash it, just that the soil will trap the dirt from the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

aaah just when i was about to set up a chain of car washes operated
    by bikini clad babes....oh well no point now if all of you are going to
    wash your cars at home :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

its too dear!

• Advertisement

alpina wrote: »
    Small stone/heavy grit on car prior to washing - a sponge has a flat base, so one is pressing the stone/grit etc into the paintwork & then you agitate away thinking you are doing wonders - results, scratches. Micro fibre cloths/sponge gloves, have loose floppy bristles, no flat surface, no horrible scratches....:)

Aha - that makes sense. I gets rid of the clingons with a heavy duty power washer before I physically touch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Out of curiosity, where do you think the bulk of the dirt we're washing off our cars came from? The road!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Just a quick one that’s kinda off topic.

The wheels on my car have started to go a bit yellowish / brownish at the corners of the spokes. This is just a build up of road dirt, brake dust and god knows what else I’ve picked up along the roads….. Anyways I have always use some alloy wheel cleaner from halfords (can’t remember exact brand off top of my head) on the wheels but each time I wash the car this build up is getting harder and harder to shift.

Last night when I was washing the car again I tried some tar and bug remover on a small section of one of the wheels. Alone with plenty of elbow grease this worked a threat – the build up of the scum isn’t totally gone but it did make a big difference.

Now there’s nothing on the label of the tar and bug remover bottle to suggest I shouldn’t use this stuff on my wheels – but could this lead to damage to the wheel lacquer etc?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Tar removers will not do any harm to your wheels as such. Acidic wheel cleaners will. They strip off the lacquer/clear coated finish if used over and over again. They should be diluted, rather than used neat from the bottle or better still not at all. If wheels are kerbed, chipped or lightly scuffed acid gets in under the coating to do further damage. Plastic centre caps on alloy wheels can also go yellow permanently as a result of acidic products. The best thing to do is to clean the wheels properly once a year (off the vehicle, inside and out) and then seal them with a proper sealant or wax and you will not need acidic or caustic cleaners to keep them looking good, just a standard shampoo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

E39MSport wrote: »
    Aha - that makes sense. I gets rid of the clingons with a heavy duty power washer before I physically touch it.

Power washing is hardly not physically touching it, now is it. It is pounding the dirt into and along the paint at far greater force than anything else. More like police water cannons on humans. You wouldn't like to be on the wrong end of one of those. Snow foam was invented to do the job you are saying (loosen and remove heavier dirt particles) without the use of excessive force, a pressure washer or the need for any rubbing or scrubbing.

I think if people use non-detergent washes, free of phosphates and harmful chemicals, so a biodegradable pH balanced shampoo, that is much kinder to the environment.

TomMc wrote: »
    Power washing is hardly not physically touching it, now is it. It is pounding the dirt into and along the paint at far greater force than anything else. More like police water cannons on humans. You wouldn't like to be on the wrong end of one of those. Snow foam was invented to do the job you are saying (loosen and remove heavier dirt particles) without the use of excessive force, a pressure washer or the need for any rubbing or scrubbing.

I think if people use non-detergent washes, free of phosphates and harmful chemicals, so a biodegradable pH balanced shampoo, that is much kinder to the environment.

I'll get back to you on that one.

Advertisement