Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to London Part Deux

Options
  • 06-07-2009 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭

I posted on this a few months ago about moving to London but I still cant seem to find a job over there. Is anybody else moving over? How did you find yourself a job? At the moment im just applying from home through job sites like http://www.reed.co.uk but I havn't even got an interview yet! I applied for about 100 jobs. Im looking to get into the banking or insurance industry but I will take any job in that industry as long as I have a chance to move up within the industry. Is there anything else I can do? People always advised me not to move over until I find myself a job.

Does anybody live in London? Can you tell me a little more about the city? Where is the best place to live, Im looking for somewhere with a good nightlife, shopping facilities, safe etc.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

If your Irish (or not), honestly... go to an Irish pub somewhere, introduce yourself and ask around if anyone knows of any work.
    Having worked in England, the Irish pubs over there are a great first starting point for seeking even basic manual work just to cover your backside while looking for something even better.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

It's very tight on jobs there at the moment too and the financial services in particular.
    I keep a place in Battersea which is nice but always fancied more north though.
    It's very hard to go wrong in London as far a bit of life and excitement but for work? Not a lot moving at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Went over there myself in '89. Happy memories.
    Saw The Who for the first time at Wembley Arena!

Made the whole thing worthwhile in my book.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Where is the best place to live, Im looking for somewhere with a good nightlife, shopping facilities, safe etc.

Much like Dublin or any other city the area you going live in will depend on the rent you can afford to pay. I'd recommend west london - Ealing, Acton, Hammersmith, Shepberds bush because these are the areas I lived in and their fine, but can be expensive.

1 months rent in advance plus 1 months deposit is fairly standard. But a house or flat-share can be a way of getting around this and is probably the most affordable way to go to begin with. There is a daily classifed newspaper called Loot where flats, bedsits or house-shares for rent are listed..... http://www.loot.com/property/rent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

lived in london through 70s and 80s hard times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

san francisco here so anyone know anyone in san fran to hook me up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I'm thinking of going over to work there...

magick wrote: »

Are you in San Francisco right now?
    Why not ask a taxi driver or a tourist office rep about the Irish pub locations as I suggested above and take that one route from there?
    Nothing to lose except a few hours trying and you might gain a few new useful friends anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭quirkster

magick wrote: »

Dont bother looking for work at the wharf or in Irish pubs. Coming from a J1er, you will not get work. Your best bet is to ring or call into the Irish Pastoral Immigration Center in Richmond. Theyll give you endless numbers etc to call and stuff. Very helpful for me anyway

quirkster wrote: »
    Dont bother looking for work at the wharf or in Irish pubs. Coming from a J1er, you will not get work...

Thats a pity that route was no use for you. Worked for me many a time when I was free, single and travelling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Banking and Insurancea re probably the two worst areas to try and get into at the moment. Not only are they the hardest hit by the recession, there is also a massive pool of unemployed people with loads of experience.

Reed.co.uk is probably the best place to start as that is probably the nearest you will get to irishjobs.ie, however just sending your cv through will not get you that far, especially without experience of working in London.

Your best bet is to get over to london for a few days and visit agencies. Apply for a few jobs, find out who the agency is and "Doorstep" them. Follow up your application and try and visit them, they are more likely to argue your case when things crop up.

As for areas, that will depend where you will be working. The main areas for Banking and Insurance are the City (EC1 postcode) or canary Wharf, so try and target an area where you can easily get to those places. the trouble is, lots of other people do the same, so areas with easy acces to the City (Hampstead and Cambden for example) aren't cheap.

My main advice though, find someone who has a floor you can kip on for a few days and get over. this shows you are serious on a move and will help a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Also try www.jobsite.co.uk & www.jobtrack.co.uk. Both were pretty good when i was moving over. It did take quite a while to get the type of job i was looking for. I found it easier to get replies when I put my GF's address in London on my CV though.

As far as living arrangements go, a deposit can be 1 month to 6 weeks rent in advance and they'll pretty much cavity check you that you're good for it. Also one month in advance. The closer you are to a tube station you are the more rent will be though.

I lived in Chiswick in west London. A bit expensive but a great place. Anywhere in west London is fairly decent. Ealing/Hammersmith/Acton/Richmond/Shepherds Bush etc...

www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/ is a good site with loads of info. You'll need to register for an NI number (PPS number) when you arrive, they'll do an interview and ask you loads of questions. Once you have the NI number though you can get off emergency tax. This site has all the details. Getting a bank account can be a bit of a nightmare. You'll have to do an interview and have household bills (which is pretty hard to have a bill in your name without an account). I found Lloyds to be pretty good though and they didn't ask for bills, just my tenancy agreement and contract of employment.

If you need anything else let me know and i'll see if i can help.

-Funk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Thanks guys, yeah west London seems to be the best option. I'll just be renting out a room in an apartment or so. Was looking at some websites. I think I'll be expected to pay about £500 a month but with bills included. I know the tube can be expensive but is nights out and food shopping expensive??

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I lived there for five years up until 06. I first lived in Woodgreen, North London. It's a colourful spot with loads of different cultures mixed together.

I moved to Muswell hill, also in north London. great spot and stayed there for years. I had a two bed apartment and it cost about £1100 a month. Great place to live and only a few miles from city centre. I loved living there.

Don't know the situation regarding work but when I was there I was on great money. Before I left, the eastern europeans had moved in, in numbers so this would have effected my sector,(construction related).

I got work through a guy down the pub and ,most of my contracts came from guys I met socially.

I'm kinda half sorry I ever left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

is nights out and food shopping expensive??

Cheaper than Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Thanks guys, yeah west London seems to be the best option. I'll just be renting out a room in an apartment or so. Was looking at some websites. I think I'll be expected to pay about £500 a month but with bills included. I know the tube can be expensive but is nights out and food shopping expensive??

Food shopping is definitely cheaper than Ireland. A standard shop for me and the GF would be between 20-30 quid max.

For a night out it really depends where you go. A local would be between 2.40-3.30 for a pint. The closer to the city centre the more expensive it'd be 2.50-4.00. You can pay 15 quid for a bottle of beer in some nightclubs but they'd be 'celeb' haunts. I definitely spend more on nights out in Ireland.

Black cabs can be expensive and ask you where you want to go before you get in. If they don't want to go they won't bring you. My gf has hailed them in some dodgy areas late at night and they wouldn't bring her home.

If you text HOME to 60835 (costs 35p) they'll send you two mini cab(hackney cab) numbers and one black cab number for the area you're standing in. Ask how much the mini cab is before you get in. They're usually fairly cheap. ONLY use legal mini cabs.

When you arrive go straight to any tube station and get an Oyster card. 3 quid deposit that you can get back by handing back in the card any time. You basically load credit to it at the machines in the station. It'll save you a fortune. A bus journey is usually 2 quid but is only 90p with an oyster card. Similar discounts on the tube. It'll never charge you more than the price of a day travel ticket no matter how many journeys you go on.

EDIT: Also go into any WHSmiths and get a London A to Z. Really handy in your first few weeks finding your way around. And pick up a tube map in any station (Free) and keep it in your wallet.

www.tfl.gov.uk is great for planning any journey around london too. Check it out.

-Funk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

funk-you wrote: »
    Food shopping is definitely cheaper than Ireland. A standard shop for me and the GF would be between 20-30 quid max.

For a night out it really depends where you go. A local would be between 2.40-3.30 for a pint. The closer to the city centre the more expensive it'd be 2.50-4.00. You can pay 15 quid for a bottle of beer in some nightclubs but they'd be 'celeb' haunts. I definitely spend more on nights out in Ireland.

Black cabs can be expensive and ask you where you want to go before you get in. If they don't want to go they won't bring you. My gf has hailed them in some dodgy areas late at night and they wouldn't bring her home.

If you text HOME to 60835 (costs 35p) they'll send you two mini cab(hackney cab) numbers and one black cab number for the area you're standing in. Ask how much the mini cab is before you get in. They're usually fairly cheap. ONLY use legal mini cabs.

When you arrive go straight to any tube station and get an Oyster card. 3 quid deposit that you can get back by handing back in the card any time. You basically load credit to it at the machines in the station. It'll save you a fortune. A bus journey is usually 2 quid but is only 90p with an oyster card. Similar discounts on the tube. It'll never charge you more than the price of a day travel ticket no matter how many journeys you go on.

EDIT: Also go into any WHSmiths and get a London A to Z. Really handy in your first few weeks finding your way around. And pick up a tube map in any station (Free) and keep it in your wallet.

www.tfl.gov.uk is great for planning any journey around london too. Check it out.

-Funk

Thanks funk you funking legend. Really looking forward to going over. Wish I could find myself a job first. Hate this recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭white apples

Hey GiftofGab,

How are you getting on? Did you move yet? Do fill us in? :D

Advertisement