Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can Liverpool win the league in 2009/10

• 06-07-2009 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Don't bother voting- i'll post it again in september- apparently Liverpool might make signings- **dont know where they are getting the money with their huge debt but 1 or 2 signings will make ALL THE DIFFERENCE-

Can Liverpool win the league in 2009/10? 16 votes

1. NO - it’s between Man Utd or Chelsea
    0%
    2. YES- Liverpool can win (Liverpool fan)
    25%
    astrofoolcurry-muffmartinr5232C0SM0 4 votes
    3. YES- Liverpool can win (Non-Liverpool fan)
    37%
    Drag00n79micks5starpoolLuckyLloydPodge2k7FunkZ 6 votes
    4. NO not a chance- Maybe 3rd or 4th
    37%
    Bounty HunterCountryWiseleggodor83ironictoastercarlop 6 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

1)They can

2)I dont think they will

3)Hard to tell though until we see who they buy/sell

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭C0SM0

You wanna pick one BH?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Can they? Yes, but will they? it's way to early to tell, there's still over a month before the season even starts.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

i did i made 3 points but i said i dont think they will win it, it is however possible as they have a good enough squad although my judgement is based on right now and tbh its hard to tell till we see who they buy/sell

Edit: Voted Yes (non pool fan) because they CAN... even though im not sure they WILL which is different

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Of course they can, but as said above, I'd like to see who is signed by what club before I fully form opinions for next season. As things stand though, if it were to start with the current squads of teams, I'd say it is between Liverpool and Chelsea, but Utd will undoubtedly strengthen and probably sign either 2 good players, or 1 marquee player (such as Aguero) and a couple of decent ones.

I'm sure Chelsea and Arsenal will add to their squad too, and I doubt City will be good enough to win next year. There are too many unknowns to have this poll yet I think. Having it on the 1st September would be much better for the purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭C0SM0

Withdrawn until the 1st of september so-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

Not a hope in hell, unless they get a new manager and iron out their inconsistency problems., ie beating man u chelsea and arsenal in 1 month and losing to fulam, blackburn and wigan the next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

legs11 wrote: »
    Not a hope in hell, unless they get a new manager
    Lol, rafa out!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Can they? Of course. For reference, see every game they played after Middlesborough away to the end of the 2008 - 2009 season.

Will they? Who the **** knows? United have lost an oft used get out of jail card in Ronaldo. Chelsea have another new manager. Arsenal have yet to substantively address the weaknesses in their squad. Liverpool may yet lose Alonso / Mascherano. Liverpool may yet add more players.

Ultimately: ask me in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Some people might strongly disagree but i honestly thought that last year was their best chance to win the league since the premiership began, they went toe to toe with a below par united and still lost, if they couldnt win it last season its gona take some serious improvement to win it this year because theres no way even without ronaldo and tevez that united will play that bad again this season, united and pool aside i actually think arsenal will surprise us this year and challenge united and pool for the title they now have an amazing squad and were hit badly by injuries last season which have almost fully recovered, and to risk the wrath of chelsea fans im gona say that they are most likely to slip outside the top four this season, to either city or everton, cant vouch for villa after losing laursen and barry, and still possibly young, i know o neill is a great manager but i dont know how he is gona swing this one around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

curry-muff wrote: »
    Some people might strongly disagree but i honestly thought that last year was their best chance to win the league since the premiership began, they went toe to toe with a below par united and still lost, if they couldnt win it last season its gona take some serious improvement to win it this year because theres no way even without ronaldo and tevez that united will play that bad again this season,

Indeed, 90 points, that was really really really bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

After seeing Liverpool's performance towards the close of the season with their 4-0 wins, yes they could. Hope not of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

1)They can

2)I dont think they will

this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

doing-it-wrong.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,731 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Some people might strongly disagree but i honestly thought that last year was their best chance to win the league since the premiership began, they went toe to toe with a below par united and still lost,

Lets get rid of the myth that United were below par last season.

Ferguson had a good go at winning all on offer, if a team/squad attempt a feet like that certain games will suffer. There is a good reason it has never been achieved before. Uniteds problem if you could call it one last season was finishing off chances, because they had no problem creating them, 30+ in some of the 1-0 games.

As for next season, Chelsea and United still have about 200 million to spend. Wenger seems to be wheeling and dealing, he has to address a couple of key positions but there is no way they will have the same injury problems as last year, Liverpool have added to the team and look likey to add another 20 million pound player, if they lose there midfield there in trouble IMO, too many variables yet to give an concrete opinion.

If City keep offering players 200 grand a week, they will enevitably get in some talent and could throw a spanner in the works of the top 4 next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

No

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Some people might strongly disagree but i honestly thought that last year was their best chance to win the league since the premiership began, they went toe to toe with a below par united and still lost, if they couldnt win it last season its gona take some serious improvement to win it this year because theres no way even without ronaldo and tevez that united will play that bad again this season, united and pool aside i actually think arsenal will surprise us this year and challenge united and pool for the title they now have an amazing squad and were hit badly by injuries last season which have almost fully recovered, and to risk the wrath of chelsea fans im gona say that they are most likely to slip outside the top four this season, to either city or everton, cant vouch for villa after losing laursen and barry, and still possibly young, i know o neill is a great manager but i dont know how he is gona swing this one around.

I hope Liverpool are below par all next season and get 90 points. I'll take that now, thank you very much. If you really do believe what you have posted above you should stop reading tabloids and get a bit more up to speed with how football actually works.

tyvm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Anyone who says they can't doesn't know what they're talking about. We came close to doing it last year and have strengthened our squad. United have (admittedly they've probably more signings up their sleeve) been significantly weakened.

Not a hope in hell, unless they get a new manager

:rolleyes:
    Boggles wrote: »
    Lets get rid of the myth that United were below par last season.

I agree with this 100%. How could a team be below par and still win the league with 90 odd points is beyond me.

Liverpool can win the league next year if they hold on to Alonso and Mash, Losing either of them would weaken them considerably. They would also have to add a few additions especilly a 2nd striker should Torres be injured.

United are the one to beat of course and the team to finish above them will win the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can threads of this nature be banned until the league starts/end of transfer window? As by then we'll know what shape a team has, if you belive the press Liverpool will loose Arby, Masch, Alonso at the very least before Sept 1st, plus prolly Riena, Torres, Gerrard. :p Worthless stuff tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,461 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I do think Unite under performed last season, but we still got the results. There were a load of games that we were poor in and got all 3 points

I do think Unite under performed last season, but we still got the results. There were a load of games that we were poor in and got all 3 points

Until the last 10 or so games, the same could be said about Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

ie beating man u chelsea and arsenal in 1 month and losing to fulam, blackburn and wigan the next.

what a load of BS, considering we only lost 2 games last season...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

and drew how many :p

3 draws = 1 win and 2 defeats (6 points lost )

it's ok he's just a bitter Everton fan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

If Torres and Gerrard both stay injury free and fit i have no doubt at all that Liverpool will win the league.

Man city will be in the top four this season too me thinks.

If Torres and Gerrard both stay injury free and fit i have no doubt at all that Liverpool will win the league.

Man city will be in the top four this season too me thinks.

you should get tasty responses to that post !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Not a hope in hell, unless they get a new manager and iron out their inconsistency problems., ie beating man u chelsea and arsenal in 1 month and losing to fulam, blackburn and wigan the next.

when was the last time liverpool lost to either blackburn or wigan?? its 2007 i believe since they lost to fulham, that infamous match before the champions league final where they rested most of their first team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Yes we can win the league next year, will we win the league next year is a different question. Chelsea, Man Utd, all can, but it's far too early to predict if they will.

Here's some points that would have a bearing on our title hunt

- Keeping Torres fit. We all know how important that it. When Torres is fit, and Gerrard is beside him, we'll have two men good enough to win out those draws last year.

- Alonso's form. This is a priority. For me Alonso needs to stay to have any chance, becaue last year we played well with Alonso in the team. A prime example is against Newcastle. Yes in the first half we were winning, but I've never seen such a bad game, it was messy. Alonso came on, and we were a different side.

- Players In/Out. We've only bought Glen Johnson, seen the arrival of Voronin again, no big names sold yet. This is a factor, we won't know the squad until September 1st.

- Drawing against lower sides. This point is crucial to winning the league. Drawing against Stoke, Fulham, etc., is not on, especially at home. We need some way of changing those draws into wins. Silly draws last year early on may have had a huge bearing on the league.

- Keep up form against the bigger teams. We know we can do it. Before we could hammer the small teams, and lose to the big teams. Last year it was the other way around. We are definately good enough to beat United and Chelsea. Strangely, I've always found Arsenal our most difficult opponent to beat.

- Grind out wins, even when we play bad. This was a major bonus, we never ever gave up. How many goals did we score in the final minutes of games? That Man City game at Eastlands is a prime example. The never say die factor should go into next season.

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »
    when was the last time liverpool lost to either blackburn or wigan?? its 2007 i believe since they lost to fulham, that infamous match before the champions league final where they rested most of their first team

He's an Everton fan (:pac:). Don't take the bait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    - Get lucky wins, even when we play bad. This was a major bonus, we never ever gave up. How many goals did we score in the final minutes of games? That Man City game at Eastlands is a prime example. The never say die factor (lucky streak) should go into next season.

fixed that for you, as seen by opposition fans :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Can Liverpool win the league this season? Of course they can, they showed last season that they are good enough to do so.

But I think, and I am a Liverpool fan, that Man Utd will start the season as favourites to retain the title, with Liverpool and Chelsea the only threats. The talk of it being a below par Man Utd team last season is nonsense. They had their best points total for a number of years, and for a spell looked like they really might win everything they were in for.

Personally I laugh each year when I hear that Man Utd have a crap midfield or no squad depth or whatever weakness that some web forum seems to think they have (RAWK I am looking at you here :P ), they will not go from being a title winning team to being easy pickings.

Chelsea are being written off by some as well for having an aging squad and a manager that speaks no english (supposedly).

I am sure that on other sites Liverpool are being written off also for reasons like rotation, not being consistent etc. Fans will always try to see weaknesses in their rivals, and normally it just means they see that team as a threat to their own team. I don't see any Liverpool, Man U, or Chelsea fans talking about preceived weaknesses in the Everton, Man City, or West Ham squads, mainly because they do not see those teams as a threat to their own team's title challenge.

Man Utd have set the bar for the chasing clubs and it will be up to Liverpool and Chelsea to try and beat that.

I see it being a three horse race again from about Febuary onwards, with my heart, as always, wanting Liverpool to win it. But my head is thinking that whoever finishes above Utd will win the title as they are the main threat imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

rarnes1 wrote: »
    United are the one to beat of course and the team to finish above them will win the league.

I remember a manager years ago (it might have been Roy Evans?) being asked pre-season by a journo if he thought his team had to finish above Man Utd to win the league.

The answer? "I think we have to finish above everybody to win the league":D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Well, firstly I have to laugh at some Liverpool fans 'we can beat United'. Yes, you stuffed us at Old Trafford last year and grabbed a win at Anfield, but have you forgotten the last 3 seasons or something?

Anyway, any of the top 4 can possibly can win the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,461 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Kess73 wrote: »
    Can Liverpool win the league this season? Of course they can, they showed last season that they are good enough to do so.

But I think, and I am a Liverpool fan, that Man Utd will start the season as favourites to retain the title, with Liverpool and Chelsea the only threats. The talk of it being a below par Man Utd team last season is nonsense. They had their best points total for a number of years, and for a spell looked like they really might win everything they were in for.

Personally I laugh each year when I hear that Man Utd have a crap midfield or no squad depth or whatever weakness that some web forum seems to think they have (RAWK I am looking at you here :P ), they will not go from being a title winning team to being easy pickings.

Chelsea are being written off by some as well for having an aging squad and a manager that speaks no english (supposedly).

I am sure that on other sites Liverpool are being written off also for reasons like rotation, not being consistent etc. Fans will always try to see weaknesses in their rivals, and normally it just means they see that team as a threat to their own team. I don't see any Liverpool, Man U, or Chelsea fans talking about preceived weaknesses in the Everton, Man City, or West Ham squads, mainly because they do not see those teams as a threat to their own team's title challenge.

Man Utd have set the bar for the chasing clubs and it will be up to Liverpool and Chelsea to try and beat that.

I see it being a three horse race again from about Febuary onwards, with my heart, as always, wanting Liverpool to win it. But my head is thinking that whoever finishes above Utd will win the title as they are the main threat imho.

Being a pessimist - I can't see United being favourites for the league this season - losing Ronaldo is a massive blow to the side. We are still as strong defensvely as we were (possibly more so if we can keep Brown and Hargreaves fit (:D)) but going forward we are massively weakened. I do think Valencia will prove to be a good signing, and i think Owen will get us more goals than Tevez did, but I certainly feel that the United squad needs a lot more work.

A winger, such as Ashley Young (don't think it will happen) and a top quality CM are needed imo.

• Advertisement

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Well, firstly I have to laugh at the Liverpool fans 'we can beat United'. Yes, you stuffed us at Old Trafford last year and grabbed a win at Anfield, but have you forgotten the last 3 seasons or something?

Er, what?

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    Lol, rafa out!:pac:

What has raffa ever won apart from a [miracle] cl win.? He has no hope in Hell of winning a title., but rose tinted fans cant see behind the lines. And dont go giving me this he won the fa cup, woooooooo.
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Chelsea have more or less that title in the bag, especially with Man U relying on owen for goals now.

I would stick out my head and say pool will finish in the top 4....;)

If everton won the fa cup it wouldnt be just woooo

But i do agree with your rafa stance

Headshot wrote: »
    If everton won the fa cup it wouldnt be just woooo

But i do agree rafa stance

sure it would..!

but for a team like the pool who spent 300 odd million its no biggie,

right.

so woooooooooooo ;)

plus raffa has insecurity issues and problems with talking too much bs 90% of the time.

[thats raffa not me btw] :P

and another reason is liverpool are essentially a 2 man show torres and gerrard almost are the main two players. if they play blinders livepool are on fire but if they have off games [and torres does] or if they are injured, then pool will struggle.

man u and chelsea have way more strength in dept and don't have to reply on dossena and el zhar when things go pete thong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

What has raffa ever won apart from a [miracle] cl win.? He has no hope in Hell of winning a title.
    Headshot wrote: »
    But i do agree rafa stance

talking about exposing your ignorance folks :rolleyes:

Legs, try adding, the FA cup, La Liga (twice) & the Uefa Cup.

add in the CL with Liverpool & take into consideration thats just while managing in the top division of the two top leagues in the world and yourself and Headshot are a quite shambolic pair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Where did this yolk spring from? Bring back sponsorships already.

legs i love your posts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

What has raffa ever won apart from a [miracle] cl win.? He has no hope in Hell of winning a title., but rose tinted fans cant see behind the lines. And dont go giving me this he won the fa cup, woooooooo.
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Chelsea have more or less that title in the bag, especially with Man U relying on owen for goals now.

I would stick out my head and say pool will finish in the top 4....;)
    -Benitez took over Liverpool in 2004 and has won:

Champions League 2005
    European Super Cup 2005
    FA Cup 2006
    Community Shield 2006

PL Runners Up 2009
    Champions League Runners Up 2007
    Carling Cup Runners Up 2005

Now tbh thats not too bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

They can win the league - but they probably wont. Despite united losing Ronaldo, and to a slighlty lesser point Tevez, they still have a better team than liverpool. Its between United Chelsea and 'Pool for the title, and thats probably how they'll finish next year. Arsenal will be hoping to fend off Villa or City (if the oft mooted big name signings actually happen) for 4th. Liverpool are probably still one player short.

good thing the window is only open a couple of days then ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

We haven't lost so Fulham, Wigan or Blackburn since 2006. This kind of boring ****e warrants a banning. Does your mam know you're using the internet?

Ill go for

Man utd
    Chelsea
    Arsenal
    Liverpool

this thread is nonsense until the window is closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

To be fair, we always say every year, wait until the window closes, then by that stage, we're already 3 or 4 games in.

I say we postpone this discussion until the 1st of August, by which time lots of the transfer deals will be done :)

I would say this, if Liverpool manage to hold Alonso and Mascherano, and add a top quality winger, I don't see any reason why they won't be pushing for the league as much as they were this year. Whether that happens, I don't know.

So everyone so who says Liverpool can't win the league, say because of Rafa. No genuine argument why we can't, while others have made decent points given every possibility we can next year on the previous page.

I guess I'll have my dig:
    Where's the "Can Everton win the league in 2009/10" thread?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement