Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can Liverpool win the league in 2009/10

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

PHB wrote: »
    I would say this, if Liverpool manage to hold Alonso and Mascherano, and add a top quality winger, I don't see any reason why they won't be pushing for the league as much as they were this year. Whether that happens, I don't know.

How many years has this been said though and it simply never happens?

From Mark Gonzalez to Harry Kewell to Jermaine Pennant to Albert Riera.....it seems to be a trend that can't be broken. I certainly don't see too many current options to correct it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

So can Utd not win the league this year because they no longer have a world class winger?

or has Valencia become world class since SAF got his mits into him? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Xavi6 wrote: »
    How many years has this been said though and it simply never happens?

From Mark Gonzalez to Harry Kewell to Jermaine Pennant to Albert Riera.....it seems to be a trend that can't be broken. I certainly don't see too many current options to correct it.
    We've spent a lot on wingers but I don't think we've ever bought a genuine package. Nobody knew what expect from Riera, Gonzalez or even Pennant. Kewell was probably the only player we expected to fill that void because he was such an awesome player for Leeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Well it has to happen eventually if we start this thread every year one year we will be right.

I predict a return to form.

4th.

good to see Ntl report back for pre season training :)

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    We've spent a lot on wingers but I don't think we've ever bought a genuine package. Nobody knew what expect from Riera, Gonzalez or even Pennant. Kewell was probably the only player we expected to fill that void because he was such an awesome player for Leeds.

Us City fans did ;)

Mr Alan wrote: »
    So can Utd not win the league this year because they no longer have a world class winger?

we have 3 of them?

Rooney :cool:

Giggs

Park.

Next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Er, what?

I dunno, was just giving out to a Liverpool supporter friend of mine who kept saying 4-1! 4-1! and my responce got onto my keyboard :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

fkt wrote: »
    We haven't lost so Fulham, Wigan or Blackburn since 2006. This kind of boring ****e warrants a banning. Does your mam know you're using the internet?

It was a general gist, as to their inconsistent form and a reference to 'small' teams that pool cant beat [apart from Everton.:rolleyes:]. such as championship boro, man citeh at home, wigan away, stoke away, hull 'phil brown is boss' city at home, west ham at home, fulham at home. stoke at home.....

but pool still think raffa is the best thing since wispas for some reason.

* and yes, she does. my new dovado router is on fire right now sir

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Liverpool dead certs for the league next year

Utd wont win anything wothout the fairy, and we now have a spy within their ranks :cool:

ntlbell wrote: »
    we have 3 of them?

Giggs

Park.

Next.

did you just call Giggs & Park world class wingers?! :eek::eek::eek:

we have 3 of them?

Giggs

Park.

Next.

/snigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,461 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

For me, Rooney is the only world class player in the United team.

Carrick and Fletcher are good/can be great on their day.

Anderson is still potential, and a completely different player to who I thought he would be.

Valencia - no idea what he will produce at United.

Neither Scholes nor Giggs will be up to much.

I believe Liverpool can win the league, but i'd have my money on Chelsea to be honest. I am very much a pessimist, but unless United add two real quality players to the midfield, I can't see us winning the league this season

legs11 wrote: »
    It was a general gist, as to their inconsistent form and a reference to 'small' teams that pool cant beat [apart from Everton.:rolleyes:]. such as championship boro, man citeh at home, wigan away, stoke away, hull 'phil brown is boss' city at home, west ham at home, fulham at home. stoke at home.....

but pool still think raffa is the best thing since wispas for some reason.

* and yes, she does. my new dovado router is on fire right now sir

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0sbGd8DfKH4/SNIAKY9wGsI/AAAAAAAAAUU/zrjr4pLKnfU/s400/Chip.jpg

Xavi6 wrote: »
    /snigger

We'll see how long that snigger/smile last's son ;)

• Advertisement

For me, Rooney is the only world class player in the United team.

lol

Can anyone say vidic?

Probably longer than Giggs playing out wide ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lol

Can anyone say vidic?

Evra

Btw united legend indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

Giggs...he was world class.

lol

Can anyone say vidic?

sorry, we only thinking of attacking players. I would agree Vidic, Rio and Evra are amongst the best around. Midfield and up front we lack a little quality and 'world classness' imo, especially in midfield

• Advertisement

Giggs...he was world class.

player of the year 08-09 in the worlds "best" league would suggest he still is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Yes

I used to laugh at Benitez in the transfer market but looking at the squad now he has done a good job. However if they sell Alonso I think that will be a big blow to their chances. With Man Utd also weakened, it might be Chelseas year but didn't we also say that about Big Phill ;)

I honestly don't know, I'm sitting on the fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

2. YES- Liverpool can win (Liverpool fan)
    Your all forgetting about the world class Dimitar Berbatov

curry-muff wrote: »

No, i'm not. he isn't world class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Of course they have a chance - they need to stop rotating the squad so much and drawing against inferior opposition at Anfield.

Utd have lost their main match-winner. Chelsea will be strong next year as well but all 3 are serious contenders.

Warper wrote: »

Utd have lost their main match-winner.

No, he's still with us alive and well

macheda4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

As a Utd supporter of course they can, but do I want them to, absolutely no way. I think expectations at Anfield will be huge as will the pressure after last season's efforts. If the pool don't hold onto their better players it will make it a lot harder for them to reach the heights of last year and go beyond. Utd will also find it tough without yer man so heres to a great season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Sure they can, so can United, Chelsea, Arsenal, City, Everton, Villa......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

No, i'm not. he isn't world class.

I hope youre being sarcastic there curry-muff?? :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,731 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

rednik wrote: »
    I think expectations at Anfield will be huge as will the pressure after last season's efforts.

This point can't be under estimated. 1 or 2 bad results early on and the wheels could well come off the Rafa band wagon.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    I hope youre being sarcastic there curry-muff?? :D:D

Only a bit, i know he isnt world class :pac: But he is gona be a lot better this season i think :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

The sh!te posted on here by some United fans is embarrassing tbh. Giggs and Park world class wingers? Predicting Liverpool to finish fourth? (ok the second might happen but there is just as much chance of it happening to United)

Anyway...
    Can Liverpool win the league?
    They definitely have a good chance. Obviously they will have to keep a hold of Alonso and Masch. I wouldn't say that they need to bring in a world class winger; or it's not simply that. TBH I think the likes of Kuyt, Benny and Rierra do a good enough job for them and fit in with Rafa's style. I think that Gerrard and Torres are relied on a lot though - therefore high quality players who can cover for them are needed.
    I think what's really important is the depth of talent that can come in and do a job. By the time the transfers are done with (assuming masch and alonso stay) imo the question will be - can Liverpool do the business if Torres or Gerrard are out of the team?

Ive never said pool will finish fourth and whoever has is either joking or just plain stupid, but when you think about giggs and park, giggs doesnt win player of the year at 35 by being crap and park was one of our best players in the champions league last season, world class... debatable but they are both quality players by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

For the first time in many years i wouldn't take United's front 6 over ours. Who'd have thought that a year ago?

Alonso, Mascherano >>>>>>>>>>>Carrick and Fletcher
    Kuyt, Riera/Benayoun > Park, Valencia (close, but they are imo)
    Gerrard >>> Rooney
    Torres >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Berbatov

We can definitely win the league. We probably won't because life is cruel

Ive never said pool will finish fourth
    Did I say you said it?
    whoever has is either joking or just plain stupid,
    Or trolling
    but when you think about giggs and park, giggs doesnt win player of the year at 35 by being crap and park was one of our best players in the champions league last season, world class... debatable but they are both quality players by any means.
    The player of the year is meaningless. Giggs winning it proves that. He wasn't even in the top 3 players at United last season.
    And I love Park. He is a fantastic squad player. But he is nowhere near being a world class winger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Liverpool's finishing league position 2008/2009<<<<<<<Manchester United's finishing league position 2008/2009

The league isn't decided on directly comparing players in each position. That proves nothing.

Gerrard >>> Rooney
    I'd have Gerrard = Rooney but that would be a massive debate with no end if we were to discuss it :D

I'm sure all the United fans are hoping, like me, that the transfers yet to be done help redress the balance in midfield.

Liverpool's finishing league position 2008/2009<<<<<<<Manchester United's finishing league position 2008/2009

The league isn't decided on directly comparing players in each position. That proves nothing.

United have lost Ronaldo who won them so many matches in the last few years, and Tevez, who won them some crucial matches at the end of last year, even if he wasn't always a starter. They've got weaker. Liverpool have gotten slightly stronger by signing Johnson. Of course if we lose Alonso we'll have gotten weaker. But that hasn't happened yet and he's still a liverpool player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

For the first time in many years i wouldn't take United's front 6 over ours. Who'd have thought that a year ago?

Gerrard >>> Rooney

We can definitely win the league. We probably won't because life is cruel

When I read the first line of your post I was worried but in fairness, you have done been fair enough...
    Alonso vs Carrick - Alonso
    Masch vs Fletcher- Masch
    Lucas vs Anderson - Anderson

Kuyt vs Park - Kuyt
    Riera vs Valencia - hard to choose
    Benayoun vs Nani - Benayoun
    After loosing Tevez and Ronaldo, the United first team is obviously significantly weaker than it was but I think it would be wise to wait and see who they sign.

I have always maintained that Liverpool were two world class players behind United. For the moment, both teams are about level with Liverpool probably pipping it in midfield, it being about even up top and United having a slightly better defence.

Pro. F wrote: »
    I'd have Gerrard = Rooney but that would be a massive debate with no end if we were to discuss it :D

I'm sure all the United fans are hoping, like me, that the transfers yet to be done help redress the balance in midfield.

And i hope you leave your midfield alone. Really hope you don't get De Rossi

When I read the first line of your post I was worried but in fairness, you have done been fair enough...
    Alonso vs Carrick - Alonso
    Masch vs Fletcher- Masch
    Lucas vs Anderson - Anderson

Kuyt vs Park - Kuyt
    Riera vs Valencia - hard to choose
    Benayoun vs Nani - Benayoun
    After loosing Tevez and Ronaldo, the United first team is obviously significantly weaker than it was but I think it would be wise to wait and see who they sign.

I have always maintained that Liverpool were two world class players behind United. For the moment, both teams are about level with Liverpool probably pipping it in midfield and attack for the moment.

considering that tevez left as he couldn't get into the first team often enough would suggest it's hardly weakening the first team?

all the players above bar one you suggest are better on the liverpool side were all playing last year so I don't see why it should be any different?

they weren't good enough last year there's nothing to suggest they will be this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

3. YES- Liverpool can win (Non-Liverpool fan)
    sure it would..!

but for a team like the pool who spent 300 odd million its no biggie,

right.

so woooooooooooo ;)

plus raffa has insecurity issues and problems with talking too much bs 90% of the time.

[thats raffa not me btw] :P

and another reason is liverpool are essentially a 2 man show torres and gerrard almost are the main two players. if they play blinders livepool are on fire but if they have off games [and torres does] or if they are injured, then pool will struggle.

man u and chelsea have way more strength in dept and don't have to reply on dossena and el zhar when things go pete thong

What a terrible post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

considering that tevez left as he couldn't get into the first team often enough would suggest it's hardly weakening the first team?

all the players above bar one you suggest are better on the liverpool side were all playing last year so I don't see why it should be any different?

they weren't good enough last year there's nothing to suggest they will be this year.

Ronaldo was the real difference between both clubs last season and the difference between United and Chelsea the previous season.

His goals were extremely important and United have not, as of yet anyway, bought a replacement that will offer what Ronaldo did.

That is fair enough as he is a special player. For me, loosing Ronaldo is as significant as Liverpool loosing Gerard or Torres and Chelsea loosing Drogba or Lampard. All those players can make something out of nothing and are often respoinsible for the points that their respective clubs take from each fixture. Ronaldo offers even more than any of those going on his form these past few seasons.

For the moment, I maintain that both sides are about even for the moment. Whether that will still be the case come August is a different story as there could still be plenty of players arriving or leaving both clubs before then.

Ronaldo was the real difference between both clubs last season and the difference between United and Chelsea the previous season.

His goals were extremely important and United have not, as of yet anyway, bought a replacement that will offer what Ronaldo did.

That is fair enough as he is a special player.

For the moment, I maintain that both sides are about even for the moment. Whether that will still be the case come August is a different story as there could still be plenty of players arriving or leaving both clubs before then.

It's really impossible to have these discussions it suggests united will be starting with 10 men from here on in, united have lost big players before and have adjusted they will play differently there will be different players in different positions given different opportunities to score goals from more areas

they're are advantages to ronaldo going it means we will actually have 11 players defending when we don't have the ball

we won't get exposed as often down Rolando's side, we won't give the ball a way as easily and as often in dangerous areas leaving us exposed. the team won't have to be built around ronaldo we'll more than likely have much better service into the box as we won't be watching 10 minutes of step over's and no end product into the box.

player's who can get a ball over the wall might get a go at taken a free kick. yes there is weakness's yes we have to find more goals from elsewhere but there is definitely some very important positives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,731 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

There is enough in the United squad / Team there already to replace Ronaldos goals.

Same thing happened when RVN left, the teams goal scoring average went up.

Remember Ferguson more often than not annually brakes the transfer record, I see no reason he won't do it this year apart from having the attutide he might think he has enough quality there, which I think he has to win the league but not battle on all fronts.

It's not all about attack, the team with the best defense usually win the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I agree re that. I think both sides are pretty even. We'll see what happens in the future though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

we'll more than likely have much better service into the box as we won't be watching 10 minutes of step over's and no end product into the box.
    Well I expected Tevez's contributions to be disregarded fairly swiftly once he left, but I thought Ronaldo's rather larger contribution might take a little longer to be belittled. Wow.

PiE wrote: »
    Well I expected Tevez's contributions to be disregarded fairly swiftly once he left, but I thought Ronaldo's rather larger contribution might take a little longer to be belittled. Wow.

I'm not belittling is contribution I'm pointing out things I've always pointed out about ronaldo nothing new here from me.

I think when a high profile player leaves the negative to a side can be exaggerated, just trying to offer a bit of balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Man Utd is like Kremlin :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement