Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which has more impact in books you read?

Options
  • 06-07-2009 5:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

Reviews in the media or recommendations from friends/peers such as Boardsies?

I have gotten some brilliant titles to read in the past from this forum.

What section do people hit first when they go into a bookshop, and what makes you pick up a title. I tend to have a gander around and have been known to pick things at random. This may sound blasphemous but if a cover looks interesting I will investigate:o

Does anyone ever find the staggering amount of choice not just of titles but sources overwhelming?

I am the youngest in my family and just as in music siblings tended to influence what I read when I was younger. Pratchett and Tolkien being a prime example, Kay Scarpetta books (mum likes her trashy thrillers) being a slightly shameful one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭TedB

What has the biggest impact for me is reviews I see on Goodreads.com. I also tend to skim the wikipedia article and look at the critical reception - tends to give a good idea of how the book was recieved. I'm new here so I wouldn't know how fellow boardsie's might comment on books!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭speedy2007

not a lot of my friends are regular readers, so usually i read reviews on amazon. If someone has a favourite list on there that includes a some of my favourite books i have a look at the other ones in their list too under the assumption we have the same taste.
    In the bookshop in my town they have a section of best books of the century - i usually head there first. They also have recommendations from staff members and book of the mth.
    Ive started reading this forum too, some good recommendations on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ally2

I use the reviews on Amazon as well as notingbooks.com. I don't always trust the media for book reviews.
    I'm often surprised when I read a book I may have hated (a prime example being Eat Pray Love) and then go online to find people loved it and it gets brilliant reviews.
    Like already suggested, looking at a reviewer's favourites is a good rule of thumb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

I've used lists such as waterstones top 100, guardian books top world books, the top 10 books to read before the apocalypse on this site etc and then I check them on amazon to see if the plot/summary is something I would be interested in and of course that leads to other selections. Also friend recommendations and a favourite authors' influences and favourite books.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭sxt

I guess as many sources as you can find would be the most thorough way of scoping out a book if you are unsure. Allthough You will soon find a source that you trust or that you like to use more than others.

I find Amazon great too, because it gives you an instant sense of what a particular book is about,factual information, how it is percieved, similar books etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

• Modern Library Top 100
    • Guardian Top 100
    • Guardian Top 1000
    • Time Top 100 1923 - Present
    • Booker Prize Winners
    • Pulitzer Prize Winners
    • Penguin Classics

Cant go wrong!

turgon wrote: »
    • Modern Library Top 100
    • Guardian Top 100
    • Guardian Top 1000
    • Time Top 100 1923 - Present
    • Booker Prize Winners
    • Pulitzer Prize Winners
    • Penguin Classics

Cant go wrong!

The modern library top 100 has introduced me to loads of books I otherwise never would have read. The Time Top 100 also.

I'm afraid I'll be a good 4 or 5 years working my way through the list though :pac: (Probably a lot longer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Yeah the readers list isnt that good though, comparatively speaking.

What do you think of Ayn Rand, Ted? She features 1, 2 and 7 in the readers list.

turgon wrote: »
    Yeah the readers list isnt that good though, comparatively speaking.

What do you think of Ayn Rand, Ted? She features 1, 2 and 7 in the readers list.

Never read Ayn Rand. A few of my (right of centre) friends do think very highly of her...

Advertisement