Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting a HGV license

• 06-07-2009 6:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Right, just a few quick questions re: getting the license:
    I want to get the full arctic license, and i know i need the rigid to get that. Can you apply for the arctic straight after doing the rigid test? From booking, how long does it take to get the test?
    How much does it cost to do both tests?
    Does one theory test cover the both categories?
    What can i expect to pay for lessons? I have been driving road trains (up to 75 Ton ) and trucks on private property, so i have some experience.
    Also, do i need to do different tests for different gearbox's, i.e crash box V automatic? I have experience with both...
    How long do you think it would take, from start to finish( from applying for the theory to getting the arctic license)?

Sorry for all the questions, im not in the country at the moment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭tormented

Hi classman, I sent you a pm with the answers to your question and a little bit of shameless self promotion. Thanks:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

tormented wrote: »
    Hi classman, I sent you a pm with the answers to your question and a little bit of shameless self promotion. Thanks:)

If you're going to be shamelessly promoting yourself, you should at least post up your answers to the questions on thread too. You might also want to have a read of the charter again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭tormented

Fair enough.

Can you apply for the arctic straight after doing the rigid test? From booking, how long does it take to get the test?
    Yes you can apply straight away, it will be a minimum of 8 week but it could take up to 16 weeks.

It is now 110 euro to do a test in these vehicles.

Yes it does cover both vehicles.

What can i expect to pay for lessons?
    I charge 50 euro per hour in the rigid and 60 euro per hour in the artic, they are a minimum of 2 hour lessons, there are pre pay discounts. I AM NOT one of the so called big schools. My wife and i run it and we use only approved driving instructors in all vehicles.

do i need to do different tests for different gearbox's

We only use manual gear boxes ( zf 4 over 4) in both trucks. This will entitle you to drive automatics.

How long do you think it would take, from start to finish( from applying for the theory to getting the arctic license)?

This one i cant answer, the fact you have experience will help. It is my experience that most of the time is used up on reversing.

I said in my pm to make sure the instructor you have is an approved driving instructor, i know of one school in particular who have some instructors who are refusing to do the exams.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

tormented wrote: »
    Fair enough.

Can you apply for the arctic straight after doing the rigid test? From booking, how long does it take to get the test?
    Yes you can apply straight away, it will be a minimum of 8 week but it could take up to 16 weeks.

It is now 110 euro to do a test in these vehicles.

Yes it does cover both vehicles.

What can i expect to pay for lessons?
    I charge 50 euro per hour in the rigid and 60 euro per hour in the artic, they are a minimum of 2 hour lessons, there are pre pay discounts. I AM NOT one of the so called big schools. My wife and i run it and we use only approved driving instructors in all vehicles.

do i need to do different tests for different gearbox's

We only use manual gear boxes ( zf 4 over 4) in both trucks. This will entitle you to drive automatics.

This one i cant answer, the fact you have experience will help. It is my experience that most of the time is used up on reversing.

I said in my pm to make sure the instructor you have is an approved driving instructor, i know of one school in particular who have some instructors who are refusing to do the exams.

Best of luck.

Reversing an artic round a corner put years on me !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Thanks for the info tormented. I want to do the whole thing done as quick as possible, whenever i get back to ireland. Just have to make sure i pass them both. When you talk about the 8 to 16 weeks, is that how long the waiting list is for tests, due to a backlog? Thanks.
    at luckyfrank, try revearsing a roadtrain with 4 pivot points, as apposed to 2!! I was cursing and swearing to bate the band!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

It all depends what test centre you're applying to, some have availability in 6 weeks others are much longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Thanks motor ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Thread renamed at request of OP.

Advertisement