Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorcycles and traffic

• 06-07-2009 8:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭

Is it illegal for a motorcyclist to ride between traffic on the road?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

is it illegal to overtake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

I'm talking about when two lanes of traffic are at a standstill or going really slow, lets say on the motorway. Is it ok for a motorcyclist to ride between the cars down the middle of the road?

Are you a car driver that is sick and tired of seeing bikes make progress where you can't or are you a motorcyclist wondering if a copper is going to "do" you for driving within the law?

If it is the former, then there is no specific law that allows it, but there is no specific law that disallows it. Where it gets grey is where "due care and attention" is not present.

If it is the latter, then motorists should not deliberately impede your progress because they can't make progress. Take it easy and give them a wave if they get out of your way.

In the eyes of the law, traffic is slow moving and in queues so therefore the "pass on the right" rule does not apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Theres no law against it as long as you're vigilant- in court its been called making progress or filtering. I've often done it with a guard following me or me following him! If traffics doing the speed limit and your filtering expect to be pulled over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Yeah the law allows overtaking and also passing on the left where the traffic on the right is moving below the speed limit or has come to a stop entirely.

Doing both simultaneously is the gray area. 9 out of 10 motorbike gardai can be seen doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Filtering is one of the best things about having a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

I stopped behind a garda car who was stuck in traffic on one occasion and he waved me passed him

me gets the impression the op is a car driver who is getting irritated at bikes making progress where s-he can't and is looking to see if the law will back him-her up when they get so frustrated they open their suv door on some biker on the m50...
    Cheer up op, at least you are dry when it rains right?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Try1ng

"Filtering is one of the best things about having a bike."

Totally agree, that was one of the reasons for getting a bike!

nereid wrote: »
    me gets the impression the op is a car driver who is getting irritated at bikes making progress where s-he can't and is looking to see if the law will back him-her up when they get so frustrated they open their suv door on some biker on the m50...
    Cheer up op, at least you are dry when it rains right?

No i dont have a car at all i'm hoping to get a bike soon.
    Was just wondering what the law said about it cause it is one of the many advantages of a bike over a car

• Advertisement

karlog wrote: »
    No i dont have a car at all i'm hoping to get a bike soon.
    Was just wondering what the law said about it cause it is one of the many advantages of a bike over a car

In that case, welcome to Rule #1 of motorcycling:
    Don't trust any other road user - they are probably trying to kill you.

Not to be afraid of it or anything, just to be aware of it. - like everyone has said above, there is nothing against filtering safely.

Bike Safe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SidinNaas

Stopped and asked a motorcycle cop on the N7 if it was OK to ride up the bus lane (not the inside lane which is treated as a bus lane by most motorists but the real bus lane approaching Newlands Cross).

His opinion was they would rather see a biker go sensibly up the bus lane than in between lines of traffic - even stationary traffic. Suspect not much use if you get stopped though and didn't get his number to quote him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

SidinNaas wrote: »
    Stopped and asked a motorcycle cop on the N7 if it was OK to ride up the bus lane (not the inside lane which is treated as a bus lane by most motorists but the real bus lane approaching Newlands Cross).

His opinion was they would rather see a biker go sensibly up the bus lane than in between lines of traffic - even stationary traffic. Suspect not much use if you get stopped though and didn't get his number to quote him.

A friend of mine is a courier and always uses the bus lanes. When he gets stopped, which is rarely, he just tells the Garda that he drives in bus lanes every day past hundreds of Gardai and why are you the only one who stopped me. He's never been done for driving in a bus lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

My fav thing is when you see some yuppie in his beamer on the coast road in the morning using the bus lang getting stopped by gardai and me right behind him on the bike. They pass a blind eye to bikes in the bus lane, there really is no point in bikes being stuck in traffic unnecessarily.

If overtaking in traffic, you can move in at a moments notice. If filtering, you can stop. In the bus lane you wont cause an obstruction cos youll either be going faster than the bus or you can readily move out of its way.

I bought a car. Then I bought a bike. Then I sold my car. Then I bought another bike. Then I bought another bike. Can you see a pattern here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I bought a car. Then I bought a bike. Then I sold my car. Then I bought another bike. Then I bought another bike. Can you see a pattern here?

Tis a slippery slope bike ownership. One is never enough :D

I can see the pattern.

Have you bought a v-twin yet? only _real_ bikes have two cylinders...

says he on his 3rd, having started on a single cylinder 500...

Test drove a triumph- AARRGH! No engine braking! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭rameire

check out the rte website and rte player for online tv programmes.
    go to the traffic blues programme, the episode from the 28th june.
    in this episode the traffic corp pull over a biker going up the m1 for dangerous driving.
    he is basically filtering but he is going faster than the speed limit, most of the trafic on the road was doing the limit.
    he is also weaving in and out from lane to lane.
    he is also not wearing protective gear.
    the two gardai who pull him over are both experienced motorcylists.

if you drive carefully, within the law and dont take the p*ss they wont pay attention to you.
    if you act like a maggot they will treat you like a maggot. (only right too).

Im a biker, and use the n7 bus lane and filter on the m7 , n7, and m50.
    ive never been stopped for filtering, and im driving 11 years.
    I have been stopped in regards to bus lanes.
    One garda told me to cop on and use the bus lane, as it was safer, this was in my days of the moped.
    More recently I was stopped while using the bus lane.
    the reason was a car in front was stopped by the gardai, so they stopped me,
    they said we dont mind you using the bus lane , but as we had a car stopped we had to show we were stopping everyone, after about 30 seconds the garda said on your way.

ah the joys of bikeing.
    and dont worry about the rain, you will get used to it, and it wont bother you.
    the only thing that bothered me was my cold hands, so i got heated grips.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »
    More recently I was stopped while using the bus lane.
    the reason was a car in front was stopped by the gardai, so they stopped me,

Heard that all right, so I just avoid the bus lanes when the coppers have a car pulled over.

This is off the topic of my thread but regarding restricting bikes.
    I was thinking of getting a honda 250 hornet i know there not learner legal but since it will be second hand it's BHP should be lower than it used to be.
    Would it be ok not restricting it at all and hoping the insurance company doesn't notice this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

I was thinking of getting a honda 250 hornet i know there not learner legal but since it will be second hand it's BHP should be lower than it used to be.
    Would it be ok not restricting it at all and hoping the insurance company doesn't notice this?

Get it restricted, they go by published power figures. Insurance will be null and void, you'll also be driving without a license.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭jmck87

Very grey area. Who's to say that wear and tear isint a mechanical restriction?

There are a lot of legal holes on restrictions....but probably not worth the hassle of contesting to save a few bob on a restrictor kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Give them a call and ask them for the details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Hornet 250 is a great bike the problem is there too dear, you could get a hornet 600 and get it restricted for similar money to what gets asked for some 250s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

rameire wrote: »
    dont worry about the rain, you will get used to it, and it wont bother you.
    Im weird that way. I love riding me bike in the rain. Cant explain why, just do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

seanybiker wrote: »
    Im weird.

We know. :D:D:D

I don't like riding in the rain :o.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

seanybiker wrote: »
    Im weird that way. I love riding me bike in the rain. Cant explain why, just do.

I do too, once i have proper gear on and I'm not getting drenched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

I use the bus lanes all the time - never been pulled over - did see 2 bikes pulled over in Rathmines a few ago by Garda. I don't use Dual carriageways very often thankfully but if I have to use the Stillorgan dual carriageway I make sure to stick to the bus lane as find driving in the main lines quite dangerous as only have a 125cc scooter and car are going v quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 danzdan

Filtering, free parking and low tax. That's why I got mine. Everyone should have a motorcycle in the city for commuting and also having fun drives out of the city at the weekend.

Advertisement