Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good piano

Options
  • 06-07-2009 8:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭

so i have an old track that someone wants to sign.it has a piano riff in it that i could never get right.would really love some pointers on how to get that typical house piano sound.

im using logics inbuilt piano instruments which i think are good so its more about eq and effects i guess.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gsparx

very nice to have a track that someone wants to sign and you haven't even got the sound right. ;)
    is there not a "house piano" patch on one of your synths?!
    on one of mine, (the "Houze" patch), each note is a stacked minor 7th chord with a heavily filtered piano sound (+delay). so playing a single note line sounds great and has that house piano feel.
    a triad of 5ths (Root+ 5th) can sound really good too. actually it sounds better if you have the 5th lower, then the root. (2 oscillators) and then play some minor chords.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

Stacking fifths in the oscillator and playing major triads makes minor 7ths. That can be interesting. Or you could just play the min 7th chords, and play around with the voicing. Also fun.

The original Machine was the Korg M1. Korg Legacy Digital plugin gets you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

get any aul piano sound and start playing minor sevenths. by playing minor sevenths on the chords that should not be minor sevenths you'll get that housey sound.

I presume that trend came about as they sampled one minor seventh chord and then just triggered it from different roots?

Well if they didn't, they should have because it would have got the same effect with about 30 seconds work.

Not that I in any way condone 'uplifting piano house'!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Wasn't the Korg M1 the 'House' Joanna ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Wasn't the Korg M1 the 'House' Joanna ?
    Isn't that what I said? And does a chord progression qualify as a riff?

• Advertisement
Advertisement