Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hill-walking near Wicklow town?

Options
  • 05-07-2009 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, does anyone have any recommendations for good places in the hills to go walking near Wicklow town? I'm a Dub so not that familiar with the area but I have map!

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Depends on your definition of 'near' and the kind of walk you're interested in. A short hilly but rewarding walk isn't too far away from you in either Devils Glen, or on Carrick Mountain in Glenealy. For higher, lenghty affairs you're really talking about getting over towards roundwood and heading onto Djouce or Luggala. Lots of options beyond that then if you have a means of transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Sorry for butting in, but Carrick Mountain always looks interesting to me .. we take our cats to a cattery in Glenealy that overlooks it (they just love the view from their cages!), and the owner tells us it's an interesting little walk. Have you done it before SoggerJogger?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Yep. I' done some training runs up there and 2 races. Easiest access is from Glenealy village. Park car there or at GAA hall and go up the road signposted the Christmas tree farm until you meet a forest gate. From there, there are various paths which crisscross the hill. 2 races were done on Carrick as part of the last 2 year's imra calendars (07 and 08) so if you check these events you should see the maps they used, which could be helpful. There are some MTB tracks up on the hill aswell. Some of the trails can be quite wet and mucky underfoot, but the views from the top are worth the walk or run, whatever is your cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I second the Devils glen - its not far from Wicklow town and is worth the trip. Best to visit in October-November for the leafy colours.

Would Trooperstown hill be handy? Its a bit further west but great for a heathery walk and wonderful views - and it has the vale of clara at its foot which is another "must see" place for the fall colours. Also trooperstown tends to be fairly empty as nearby Glendalough sucks up all the tourists and walkers. But another reason it tends to be empty is because the Motocross/Quad neanderthals are there most days it seems - they seem to love trooperstown hill.

And you have a great walk on your doorstep from wicklow town to wicklow head. A bit flat to be sure but great scenery and wildlife. I've seen wild goats, birds of prey and beached baby seals last time I walked it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Thanks for the local knowledge guys. Looks like there is plenty to choose from which surprises me not!

Advertisement