Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Babysitting Guinea Pigs

Options
  • 06-07-2009 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

myself and the mrs are getting to baby sit some guinea pigs that belong to the brother in law and his family. I have no experience in minding or looking after guinea pigs so looking for some info on what to do...feeding, watering, handling, entertainment, cleaning etc. etc. they should be coming with their own cage and stuff (he is only getting them himself this week). he is going off on hols so we are taking them for a while.

so any tips?

thanks,

burger

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

burger1979 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

myself and the mrs are getting to baby sit some guinea pigs that belong to the brother in law and his family. I have no experience in minding or looking after guinea pigs so looking for some info on what to do...feeding, watering, handling, entertainment, cleaning etc. etc. they should be coming with their own cage and stuff (he is only getting them himself this week). he is going off on hols so we are taking them for a while.

so any tips?

thanks,

burger

http://www.cavyspirit.com/care.htm
    have fun with them! :p

Emmo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

OP make sure they have fresh water at all times. Are they coming with an outdoor run?

When you pick them up make sure you firmly but gently support the hips and shoulders, never grapple with the middle. If a guiney decides to jump they have a tendency not to land on their feet!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Make sure the give the guineas a good once over before them come so they won't need any nail clipping or bathing while with you. If the pigs come to you all primped and ready and healthy then all they will need (if staying for a couple of weeks or less) unlimited hay, fresh water daily (with warm weather if you can change it twice just to keep it fresh) and their dry food and veggies. A cuddle each day as well to keep them well handled while they are with you, as said piggies don't land on their feet so if unsure just keep close to the floor and if you have a safe room let them run about a bit daily.

If their cage is a good size they should be fine, would be no point in bringing an outdoor run if it's for a short time, the weathers so unpredictable anyway at the moment it's either too hot or too wet and damp.

Depending on the size of the cage cleaning them out every second day usually is enough. Make sure he gets a cage a minimum of 4 feet in size for a pair of pigs anything smaller is not suitable as a permanent home.

Just to give you an idea with piggies routines this would be an example of a cleaning routine.

Take piggies out and pop them somewhere safe, in a piggy safe room or in cat carrier or another cage or pen. Then roll up all the bedding and chuck it in the compost of bin (makes great compost).

Take out water bottle, empty it and fill with water half way and shake it a bit and rinse out, if needed use a cotton bud to help clean the inside of the spout. Refill with fresh water and replace.

Scoop up any dropped hay with some kitchen roll or a dustpan and brush.

Sprinkle a generous amount of cheap white vinegar all over the floor of the cage and wipe with some kitchen roll, it dries withing second.

Replace bedding..using newspaper (ensure none of the paper has staples in it) plenty of newspaper on the bottom (broadsheets are handier to roll up) and then plenty of hay on top and then replace any hidey places and food bowl (after cleaning it and refilling it). Pop the piggies back in with some fresh veggies.

Avoid woodchips, not good for pigs skin and is said to be not healthy for the respiratory system also it's really messy.

I use white vinegar for cleaning, it's cheap and non toxic. About twice a month I take the cage apart and disinfect it, hot water tends to warp the plastic so any of the good small animal guinea pig safe cleaners can be used.

I also freshen up the bars on the outside of the cage by using damp kitchen roll and a drop of lavender oil (pigs removed first) just wiping down the outside of the bars mainly the top to remove any dust and it leaves a lovely fresh smell.

As long as they are in good health there should be no problems all guineas want is their housing cleaned, the odd cuddle, company of another pig and of course food..you'll discover pretty soon if you forget their veggies they'll be demanding it they aren't behind the door when you forget something lol.

If they are only new they may be skittish depending where they came from so will take time to settle in, running and hiding is normal so some cardboard boxes with little doors cut out are perfect (remove any sticky labels/sellotape first).

Safe veg. (wash well before feeding ideally buy organic) broc. cauliflower, carrot safe fruit apple, strawberry, pear.

If a bit nervous at handling them at first use a towel and gently pick them up and sit them on your knee on the floor (esp. if any kids are handling them) they feel safer cuddled up in a blanket/towel.

Lots more info. on my website.

You'll love them though they are charming little critters.

Advertisement