Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charging New Phone

• 06-07-2009 9:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭

If possible can someone give me a definate anwser. I bought a new phone, LG KU990, yesterday in 3 and the bloke in the shop said when charging it to leave it in for 14 hours, when i flicked through the manual it said to charge it until a "full battary" message appeared on screen, what is the best thing for the battary it has always confused me

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Depends on the battery type but for older battery types, you do need a longer first charge cycle and it's recommended to allow the battery discharge completely every once in a while as this prolongs the battery life.

Most new phones (in the last 3-4 years) are using Lithium-Ion batteries which don't lose capacity based on how often or how much you recharge them and don't need to be overcharged or fully discharged. Once the phone has been fully charged (i.e. battery at 100%) you can disconnect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

If possible can someone give me a definate anwser. I bought a new phone, LG KU990, yesterday in 3 and the bloke in the shop said when charging it to leave it in for 14 hours, when i flicked through the manual it said to charge it until a "full battary" message appeared on screen, what is the best thing for the battary it has always confused me

Thanks

That was more relevant back with the older type batteries as the new poster says. Yet every shop rep still seems to give out this advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Overnight, 8 hours, 14 hours, 24 hours; they are just some of the times I've now heard from people in store. There must be at least someone from back in the day working in all of these stores passing on their sage advise of effectively over-charging batteries as "this is how it was done in my day".

As the other posters have said OP, charge until your new handset full and always take heed of the manufacturer's manual over the advise of a store agent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

cheers i thought as much, particularly when anytime i asked a question about any phone the bloke had to look up the magazine:mad: that really annoys me

Advertisement