Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pay scales

Options
  • 06-07-2009 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

just a question, do you all hink the fighters should get paid better?

what about the smaller fighters, do you think getting paid $7000 for a fight is enough with all the work that is put in.

i was reading an article about it and for instance the UFC made 223 million from ppv sales(im sure they makin even more now) in 2006. thats not including gate sales.

at UFC 71 the gate total was over 4 million dollars, the total fighter payout for the whole card including undercard ws 900,000. so 25% of the gate sales paid for that, and thwt didnt even includ the ppv sales.

i know i rambled on a bit there but i was just giving ye an example.

so what you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

johnroake wrote: »
    just a question, do you all hink the fighters should get paid better?

what about the smaller fighters, do you think getting paid $7000 for a fight is enough with all the work that is put in.

i was reading an article about it and for instance the UFC made 223 million from ppv sales(im sure they makin even more now) thats not including gate sales, at UFC 71 the gate total was over 4 million dollars, the total fighter payout for the whole card including undercard ws 900,000. so 25% of the gate sales paid for that, and thwt didnt even includ the ppv sales.

i know i rambled on a bit there but i was just giving ye an example.

so what you think?

7000 is not bad for a fighter who is not a big ticket seller or ppv seller, its the top of the range fighters that sell the ppv's and tickets that are been payed low in comparison to what there earning the company, the 7k fighters are just filling the card.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

I'd be surprised if most ppl didn't think that the money is still poor in the sport.

It all boils down to the sport's popularity. As it is growing the pay scales are increasing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Reading your post it sounds like they made $223 million from UFC 71. As far as I know, that's the figure for their 2006 gross revenue

As cowzerp said, they get paid based on how much money they're bringing back in

If the UFC had spent a lot more on fighters back in 2006 then they wouldn't have had the money to expand as much as they have since then

You could always go with the Affliction model and pay an undercard fighter (Ben Rothwell) half a million dollars, but that's going to put you out of business quick :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

I never realised affliction was paying that much

Wonder what Fedor is getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 johnroake

Fozzy wrote: »
    Reading your post it sounds like they made $223 million from UFC 71. As far as I know, that's the figure for their 2006 gross revenue

As cowzerp said, they get paid based on how much money they're bringing back in

If the UFC had spent a lot more on fighters back in 2006 then they wouldn't have had the money to expand as much as they have since then

You could always go with the Affliction model and pay an undercard fighter (Ben Rothwell) half a million dollars, but that's going to put you out of business quick :pac:

sorry, my mistake, i should have clarified better, it was the total sales for the year.

i would be thinkin that smaller fighters need to have thier profile raised so if you paid more money to the big fighters it would mean they only have to fight once a year and the smaller guys could make a bit more money by fighting more and raise their own profile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 johnroake

Jason Mc wrote: »
    I never realised affliction was paying that much

Wonder what Fedor is getting?

did anyone else read that arlovski got 1.5million for that fight while fedor only got half a million or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

johnroake wrote: »
    did anyone else read that arlovski got 1.5million for that fight while fedor only got half a million or something.

The vast majority of Fedor's pay came in the form of bonuses not declared to the commission. Fedor would have made close to $2 million for each Affliction fight

Advertisement