Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats your average speed? (Check your sat nav!!)

• 06-07-2009 10:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭

As the title says what has been your average speed since you last reset the counter?

I've had a few late night runs up and down to home so it was sitting pretty at 105 km/h until I spent four days back in Dublin and it dropped to a miserable 37 km/h.:(

I know I'm presuming that everyone has a GPS, that Garmin ad at Christmas was pretty persuasive though :p!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Car said my average this morning from Cork to Waterford this morning was 98kph...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Since last re-set it's sitting at around 65km/h overall average and about 69 km/h moving average. Been a good while since it's been re-set.

Looking forward to the M50 works being completed and the average increasing further.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

I retro fitted cruise control to my car at the weekend, so it reset all the computers, I then drove from Belfast to Dublin (using cruise control) and obeyed the speed limit the whole way down (oh the shame! like I always do) and my average speed for the entire journey was 64 mph.

(also cruise control, its brilliant, I got 40.2 mpg from Belfast to Newry, the first time a number over 35 has graced my mpg display since I got the car!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭darcy.jonny

always wondered if the guards etc seen an avg. speed of say 150 km etc. o a satnav could they use that as evidence od speedding?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

always wondered if the guards etc seen an avg. speed of say 150 km etc. o a satnav could they use that as evidence od speedding?

No, they have no way of validating that the sat nav or car computer is running to government measurement standards, or even if it was, it is perfectly legal to reach those speeds on non public roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Not all Sat Navs show average speed. My certainly does not. Tom Tom One V1 Europe.

Original bog standard version.

*Sings

Give a give a give a give a Garmin, Give a give a give a give a Garmin, Give a give a give a give a Garmin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

147km/h

Although i reset on Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

About 28mph :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

I remember when I used to use the M50 to get to work and would average 21mph. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Overall Avg. 49.4
    Moving Avg. 66.9
    Max Speed 181 (:eek: Yes, my c*ck is bigger than yours!)

Dist. 26723

All in Metric

Haven't reset it since I bought the car, 12 months ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

you do realise that as soon as you turn on the sat nav it will start recording a speed. so while you're in the house / sittting in drive etc trying to program it you will lose out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

you do realise that as soon as you turn on the sat nav it will start recording a speed. so while you're in the house / sittting in drive etc trying to program it you will lose out...

The Garmins have a moving average as well as an overall average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

david wrote: »
    Overall Avg. 49.4
    Moving Avg. 66.9
    Max Speed 181 (:eek: Yes, my c*ck is bigger than yours!)

Dist. 26723

All in Metric

Haven't reset it since I bought the car, 12 months ago

181 isn't all that fast ... I was doing 219 on friday in an Audi A4 Avant 2.0TDI.

lovely car too.... only thing i didnt like was trying to park it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

craichoe wrote: »
    181 isn't all that fast ... I was doing 219 on friday in an Audi A4 Avant 2.0TDI.

lovely car too.... only thing i didnt like was trying to park it.
    Well it's very impressive for my granny wagon 1.4 Honda thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 irlpotato

nah, just tell them you were looking at your satnav on a train/plane/dublin bus driver on the last run of his shift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Berty wrote: »

*Sings

Give a give a give a give a Garmin, Give a give a give a give a Garmin, Give a give a give a give a Garmin

Arrgh! Damn you Berty! It'll be in my head all day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Onboard computer constantly records my average, a paltry 37kmph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Onboard computer constantly records my average, a paltry 37kmph.

same here 40MPH over 4800 miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 FocusIreland

my OBC says - 40km/h... sometimes 41 or 42...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

29mph is my average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭ktc1

My OBC has varied fom 50 to 52 kph for the last year.

Advertisement