Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting a new Lawn

Options
  • 06-07-2009 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

I have google searched how to plant a new grass lawn but have been able to find nothing suited to the Irish climate.

To start of, I have NO CLUE about gardening!

We have finally decided to do up our much neglected lawn. The majority of the area where I plan to plant grass had been covered by paving on a base of sand.

The garden also had a lot of weeds so I am worried this may become a problem.

So far what I plan to do is excavate some of the sand and replace with top soil. Then either seed or lay grass turf.

Bearing in mind that I have no idea about gardening

What mix of top soil would be the best for the lawn?

I have been offered seeds that are used by golf course which apparently grow thick grass which keeps out weeds, would getting this be a better idea than grass turf?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

google search again: new lawn ireland
    First result.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

nikolaitr wrote: »
    I have google searched how to plant a new grass lawn but have been able to find nothing suited to the Irish climate.
    Are you sure about that?

I only laid a new lawn 2 weeks ago and there is loads of stuff on the net about doing it. Most of the places that supply turf have a section on their site detailing what to do and tbh it's not really rocket science just lots of digging and raking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We laid a new turf lawn two weeks ago today - we put down topsoil and raked in soil conditioner/improver before rolling it out. I'm happy to say that now it's well rooted, lush, and you can hardly see the joins. It's a complete success, and we're no experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

We laid a new turf lawn two weeks ago today - we put down topsoil and raked in soil conditioner/improver before rolling it out. I'm happy to say that now it's well rooted, lush, and you can hardly see the joins. It's a complete success, and we're no experts.

Hi,
    I am removing stone and want to set a lawn. The ground is very compact with some stones mixed in.

Should I cover this with top soil? And then add lawn seed?

Is this enough?

Thanks!

Advertisement