Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scariest experience of my life!!! (Nothern Ireland is still a bit mad)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

there is nothing political about hating someone based on what their religion is or in this case where your car is bought.
    I actually doubt its about religion anymore, If these 'tards even knew the very basics of their religion they would not know what they're doing is not on at all.
    I think its just an "Us vs Them" issue now that affects all the working class who finding nothing better to do with their lives decide to try and fight just to be dominant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

bahahahahahah do you know how much of a contradiction that comment is? :)

He's wrong with the parade in March comment. Should have been compared to any celebrations on Easter Sunday.

The 12th parades are not specifically loyalist, its just that there tends to be a loyalist following.

Don't get of wrong, arseholes that think that kind of behaviour is acceptable should not be tolerated, but automatically linking them to the parades doesn't help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

by not making excuses for the thugs in question and claiming that flippy was "asking for it"

who made excuses for them in the thread so far?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

bleg wrote: »
    stupid northern *****

Wow..

As pointless as glass hammer.

Constructive posting in AH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

i suppose if someone arrived on a forecourt late at night in some of the more colourfull areas of Dublin in a northern reg car wearing a Rangers or Linfield jersey they would probably get the same reaction

both sides are as bad as each other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Rabies wrote: »

Constructive posting in AH.

snigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

i suppose if someone arrived on a forecourt late at night in some of the more colourfull areas of Dublin in a northern reg car wearing a Rangers or Linfield jersey they would probably get the same reaction

both sides are as bad as each other

Which is true, almost got a hiding one night in Dublin for wearing an Ulster rugby jersey, because on it, there is a red hand of ulster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

rarnes1 wrote: »
    You were lucky OP.

A friend of mine is doing an evening course up in Belfast Uni and has encountered plenty of twats and has had her car keyed a few times. Southern reg's stand out a mile and supposedly this is fairly common.

I never had a problem with a southern reg in NI, including on the Shankill Road behind an Orange march (mind you I was a bit worried but they just smiled at me!)

So im afraid you're making up stories to try to prove some kinda warped point.

What stories did I make up? My point is that you need to watch where you go in the north if you value you personal safety. Please explain to everybody how you think that point is warped?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

topper75 wrote: »
    who made excuses for them in the thread so far?

You.

When you tell people they are 'asking for it' then you're essentially saying "it's your fault these knuckle draggers want to beat you" which shifts the blame away from said knuckle draggers and onto the victim, as if the thugs in question are base animals and incapable of being held accountable for their own actions.

It's shitty and you should stop doing it.

It's from the same school of reasoning as "she shouldn't have been dressed like that".

Dardania wrote: »
    Nah - let them have their marches - stifling political opinion is no way forward. Is it any skin off your nose if they have a march?

Is there a st. patricks day parade in the north?

There are many. St Patrick's day is a bit different though because it is supposed to represent everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Which is true, almost got a hiding one night in Dublin for wearing an Ulster rugby jersey, because on it, there is a red hand of ulster.

I love when idiots see a red hand and think "Loyalist!" Its funny how ignorant of the history of this island they are.

bahahahahahah do you know how much of a contradiction that comment is? :)

The previous poster is correct. It's just that republicans have got better spin doctors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

5 pages later and Im still confused.

You let her drive the car.
    She ran out of petrol.
    You had to fill the car.

WTF is wrong with this picture?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

NI is still a good tourist destination. Belfast and Derry are cool towns and the north coast is beautiful. But you need to be aware where you are going - find out beforehand. Certain towns are not welcoming to southerners, and if this comes as a surprise to you then the outcome could well be Darwinian.
    My Fiance is Australian and she's done some tours up north in my Dublin reg car and it was only ever in loyalist union jack flag red white and blue areas that she ever got a frosty reception.

So im afraid you're making up stories to try to prove some kinda warped point.
    It's funny that you both say the same thing, yet you disagree with him saying it :confused:
    Beanstalk wrote: »
    There are many places to go where you won't find any trouble if you do a bit of research beforehand so please don't be put off. It doesn't take weeks, just a quick phonecall to the tourist board....
    Or ask in the Belfast forum. Went up near Queens Uni (me thinks) there some time ago. Found out the area was good. Wore black. Got no hassle (although my "accent" is sometimes mistaken as german/english/nordic country/etc).

=-=

Oh, and don't let women give directions. We nearly went up a certain UVF mural covered road, as she only said left a second before we past it :mad:

• Advertisement

fitz0 wrote: »
    I love when idiots see a red hand and think "Loyalist!" Its funny how ignorant of the history of this island they are.

I wonder what happens when the same people see the four provinces flag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Berty wrote: »
    5 pages later and Im still confused.

You let her drive the car.
    She ran out of petrol.
    You had to fill the car.

WTF is wrong with this picture?

Its because he got lost and was too proud to ask for directions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Richard wrote: »
    I wonder what happens when the same people see the four provinces flag.
    Selective vision. They only see what they want to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

How stupid can they be? Can't believe people still believe in nationalistic bullsh1t.

Thats not nationalistic bullsh1t You will have to defince nationalistic bullsh1t as we dont know what you mean

I suspect you mean sectarian bullsh1t and yes it still goes on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

the north coast is beautiful. But you need to be aware where you are going - find out beforehand.

3. North Coast towns- nice run from Derry over to Bushmills but I daren't show my taigness at any point. This is the bible belt.

Unfortunatly you have to drive through the North Coast towns when you are going around the North Coast.

We went up there last year, had a lovely time. Was glad we got to see that part of the country with no intimidation. I did expect a little with my ROI. reg, but thankfully it didn't happen.
    Everytime I opened my mouth I was waiting for some rudeness. That barely happened either.
    I do like Northern Ireland, I like that it is different to here. I like that people have strong political beliefs too, unfortunatley some of these people also happen to be scumbags, ones that you will find anywhere. I avoid certain areas of Dublin at night, it's the same in the North. (only easier to see)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

kippy wrote: »
    Sadly that kinda thing can happen. In fairness, you dont have to be up North for it to happen. Had a similar experience outside a petrol station in Limerick years ago. It was a gang of drugged up scumbags who were doing the intimidation, would have probably robbed me were it not for the fact that a sqad car pulled in, they all scampered.

Actually I had the same experience last year in Limerick. Gf was in the mid western regional for a few days. Was staying in her sisters place in Galway and driving up/down each day. Anyway I got lost and ended up in some housing estate with the fuel light flashing and managed to find a petrol station, pulled up and about 5/6 teenagers sitting on a wall and a couple more inside. So I'm in paying and I come out and 2 of them are leaning against the bonnet. They say it'll cost me €50 to get them to move, my reply... "a €10 car wash to get your blood off the windscreen is a lot cheaper".. that got them to move but not before one tried to kick my wingmirror off. He high tailed it when I banged the car into reverse and tried to run the fcuker over!!

Some people are morons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭NOGMaxpower

What stories did I make up? My point is that you need to watch where you go in the north if you value you personal safety. Please explain to everybody how you think that point is warped?

well if you took the time to read my previous post my point was that it is only in Loyalist areas that you get this kind of hatred. that its not a catholic things its a loyalist thing.

I base this point on my 1st hand experience of 30+ years of travelling between both regions.

its one sided imo. You dont have to worry about a southern reg in catholic areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Jesus op, you were lucky. It's sad that this bull is still happening.
    I mean, how the fcuk are tourists meant to know where the fcuking loyalist estates are so they can avoid them.
    Why should they? It equates to tiptoeing around a petulant child
    These scum need to grow the fcuk up for once and for all. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Klim

For the sake of common sense, do not betray or advertise that you are a southerner. Do not wear a GAA jersey. If you have a southern reg, do not drive into a town with loyalist estates. Don't broadcast your thoughts loudly in a southern accent whilst wandering around towns.

Learn some political geography - it could save your life.;)[/quote]

I know a few protestants, who live on this side of the border, therefore have southern reg cars. So what do you propose they do, wear a sash so the numbskulls know not to start on them?

This is 2009. This sort of thing is inexcusable. End of.

You.

When you tell people they are 'asking for it' then you're essentially saying "it's your fault these knuckle draggers want to beat you" which shifts the blame away from said knuckle draggers and onto the victim, as if the thugs in question are base animals and incapable of being held accountable for their own actions.

It's shitty and you should stop doing it.

It's from the same school of reasoning as "she shouldn't have been dressed like that".

I think going into loyalist areas with an IRL reg is asking for it yes, but at no point did I 'excuse' the behaviour of the thugs. That is something you imagined.

To take up your analogy, would you entertain the complaint of a girl coming on boarsd saying "I went out with a skimpy boobtube and greyhound skirt on Sat night and all these boys were leering at me. What is wrong with these people?!!".

We all think at times of shoulds and shouldn'ts, but it's best to think in terms of what is. Loyalist thugs shouldn't intimidate southerners. Girls should be allowed to go out and wear what they want with comment. Unfortunately, in the real world, there is such a thing as asking for it.

bronte wrote: »
    Jesus op, you were lucky. It's sad that this bull is still happening.
    I mean, how the fcuk are tourists meant to know where the fcuking loyalist estates are so they can avoid them.
    Why should they? It equates to tiptoeing around a petulant child
    These scum need to grow the fcuk up for once and for all. :rolleyes:

Bronte its quite easy to identify them....

Quick google: http://images.google.ie/images?hl=en&lr=&um=1&sa=1&q=ulster+loyalist&aq=f&oq=

You might see a tricolour in rural towns to identify a republican town/village. However you can spot a loyalist town easily, they'll have Union Jacks on every lamp post, red white blue kirbs, murals etc etc plastered every where and i mean extreme in some cases.

of course there are murals now in west belfast of republican movements but the old troubles murals are all being phased out with ones of peace and well mostly on the Israel Palestine plight.

its simple to spot the differnce to be hoenst mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Parts of the North are still a no go zone for Southeners shocker :rolleyes:

I think going into loyalist areas with an IRL reg is asking for it yes, but at no point did I 'excuse' the behaviour of the thugs. That is something you imagined.

To take up your analogy, would you entertain the complaint of a girl coming on boarsd saying "I went out with a skimpy boobtube and greyhound skirt on Sat night and all these boys were leering at me. What is wrong with these people?!!".

We all think at times of shoulds and shouldn'ts, but it's best to think in terms of what is. Loyalist thugs shouldn't intimidate southerners. Girls should be allowed to go out and wear what they want with comment. Unfortunately, in the real world, there is such a thing as asking for it.

Jasus I've met some ignorant posters in the past but wtf.... No one is asking for it and that analogy is so wrong in so many different ways. Are you saying a girl is askinig for it if she goes out looking sexy in heels a skirt and boob tube/ So when you hear of someone like that getting raped you think to yourself "ah she was asking for it"!!!!

wtf fun, i dont mean to be having a go at you directly but come off it thats just fecking nutz talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Bronte its quite easy to identify them....

Quick google: http://images.google.ie/images?hl=en&lr=&um=1&sa=1&q=ulster+loyalist&aq=f&oq=

You might see a tricolour in rural towns to identify a republican town/village. However you can spot a loyalist town easily, they'll have Union Jacks on every lamp post, red white blue kirbs, murals etc etc plastered every where and i mean extreme in some cases.

of course there are murals now in west belfast of republican movements but the old troubles murals are all being phased out with ones of peace and well mostly on the Israel Palestine plight.

its simple to spot the differnce to be hoenst mate.

Even if you are not Irish?
    I just don't understand why people should have to.
    They are disturbing the peace and are intimidating innocent people in the process.

bronte wrote: »
    Even if you are not Irish?
    I just don't understand why people should have to.
    They are disturbing the peace and are intimidating innocent people in the process.

Thats what they do |Bronte :) Its why the north is so fooked up it'll take generations to bring real change to the North. Its all put into motion but its not there yet.....

United Ireland ftw the Garda wouldn't tollerate that shiz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Jasus, I'm from da border area, and spend as much time in NI as anybody.. never came across anything like this, quite shocking..

Jasus I've met some ignorant posters in the past but wtf.... No one is asking for it and that analogy is so wrong in so many different ways. Are you saying a girl is askinig for it if she goes out looking sexy in heels a skirt and boob tube/ So when you hear of someone like that getting raped you think to yourself "ah she was asking for it"!!!!

wtf fun, i dont mean to be having a go at you directly but come off it thats just fecking nutz talk.

I thought the analogy was weak myself but I didn't create it- I was answering the Lord of Cheese when they suggested it by way of chiding me for advising people to take time to get savvy on the political geography of the North before going there. I condone neither rape nor sectarian intimidation. There are ways of minimising the chance of them happening however.

BTW you don't mean to 'have a go at me directly' but call me an 'ignorant poster'? :confused: The confusion grows. Having big shoulders, i laugh off the personal abuse, but be aware that it can get you a ban on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭bush Baby

You would be amazed what doesn't make it into the news these days. GFA or not, those incidents occur daily and now that its July, the loyalists all go a bit crazy.

Use your head, don't be stupid like pretending the other 3.5 million catholics are just round the corner.

And the wearing of GAA county jerseys is to be avoided up north, its like painting a target on your back

bush Baby wrote: »
    You would be amazed what doesn't make it into the news these days. GFA or not, those incidents occur daily and now that its July, the loyalists all go a bit crazy.

Use your head, don't be stupid like pretending the other 3.5 million catholics are just round the corner.

And the wearing of GAA county jerseys is to be avoided up north, its like painting a target on your back

just on that, any sort of sports jersey not just GAA ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I can see topper75's point. I think the choice of language at the start was unfortunate but I agree with using a bit of cop on before going to certain areas with certain colours/flags/clothing.
    No it shouldn't happen in this day and age, but of course it does. It still definately does. Wherever there are people there is going territorial stupidity. It's not unique to the North.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

I am truely surprised at some of the ignorance in relation to NI on this forum...Irish people really should get to know the facts of their history and the implications, past and current.

Craigavon (basically a suburb of Portadown) is not a wise place to venture into on the Sunday of the Drumcree parade when tensions and sentiment are bound to be running at high levels. Couple that with a 'tipsy' southener, not recognising the significance of the day's events, then attempting to tender euros rather than sterling while the local 'not most respectable' are hanging around a petrol station forecourt...

OP, I'm confused that your knowledge of the area isn't somewhat more detailed given that you're from a border town, I myself am from Monaghan & know only too well where to venture & where to avoid at this time of year.

I suggest you also avoid L'Derry in August.

WindSock wrote: »
    I can see topper75's point. I think the choice of language at the start was unfortunate but I agree with using a bit of cop on before going to certain areas with certain colours/flags/clothing.
    No it shouldn't happen in this day and age, but of course it does. It still definately does. Wherever there are people there is going territorial stupidity. It's not unique to the North.

Sums me up - thanks. No beef with anyone here, (apart from the thugs!). Just watch it for your own sake and learn about the different towns. Discretion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

WindSock wrote: »

ah yeh although im arguing with him/her i think its just a poor choice of words on their behalf.

Yes a bit of cop on is required

But no way will i ever accpet that they were asking for it. Stupid yes deserving death or eating hospital food for a month NO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Scien wrote: »
    There wasn't one Trilcolour on the Falls.

Eh, you sure you were on the Falls?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Disagree.

I was in Belfast on Saturday. My first time in the North & i went down both the Shankhill and the Falls road.
    Shankhill is laden with Union jacks from every lampost and building. There wasn't one Trilcolour on the Falls.
    There seems to be a lot more hate on the Loyalist side IMO.

As a side note, next weekend the City will be ablaze. I saw some bonfires being built there and honestly, you'd need a structural Engineer to design & construct them they were so big.

its coming up to the 12th what did you expect on the Shankill?

its coming up to the 12th what did you expect on the Shankill?

eh its always like that lol except there's just even more red white and blue ontop of the old dirty red white and blue thats there during the year.

Thats not nationalistic bullsh1t You will have to defince nationalistic bullsh1t as we dont know what you mean

I suspect you mean sectarian bullsh1t and yes it still goes on

I presume the poster meant that loyalism is British Nationalism.

Richard wrote: »
    I presume the poster meant that loyalism is British Nationalism.

thats what i thought he/she meant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

i think loyalists are feeling slightly more under threat in the past few years, like theyre almost "losing control" in a sense when you consider how much ground nationalism/SF have made.

on the news yesterday they reported how the orange order membership had dropped significantly in the past few years.collectively loyalists are a bit like an injured dog-theyll bite harder to defend themselves and thats what you're seeing in the OP's incident.

• Advertisement

Disagree.

I was in Belfast on Saturday. My first time in the North & i went down both the Shankhill and the Falls road.
    Shankhill is laden with Union jacks from every lampost and building. There wasn't one Trilcolour on the Falls.
    There seems to be a lot more hate on the Loyalist side IMO.

I'm not excusing it - but this is the worst time of year for this carry on.

A number of loyalist murals are being replaced by ones with people like George Best, C.S. Lewis etc. I look forward to the day when all sectarian murals will be gone and flags will be treated with respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Richie860504

Topper75 is a loyalist. I have never heard any catholic person call another a "taig". Also refering to southerners showing "Taigness". I'm nearly sure he's a troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Wearing a GAA jersey in Carrickfergus

To be honest, I have to agree.

An equivalent move down here (say, dandering around the inner city on or just before St Patrick's Night with a Rnagers top on) would be dangerous enough.

I lived in the North for a number of years. A bit of common sense goes a long way for Southerners. Stuff like leaving culturally-specific sports tops at home, finding out if the town you're going to is Loyalist, and making sure you have enough petrol when you're making a night journey across unknown territory, especially during marching season.

Topper75 is a loyalist. I have never heard any catholic person call another a "taig". Also refering to southerners showing "Taigness". I'm nearly sure he's a troll.

I had thought the same thing but didn't want to bring it up lol he has used some terms that would suggest that.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

I had thought the same thing but didn't want to bring it up lol he has used some terms that would suggest that.
    i think you will find the OP used the term first and Topper simply used it from there. Either way if Topper is, or isnt, loyalist has no basis on this. He has his points well contructed and obviously knows his history

• Advertisement
Advertisement