Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica - St Anger

• 06-07-2009 11:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

So, I was thinking recently (when I purchased a Digipak version of St Anger at a car boot sale in Edinburgh for 80p) that perhaps we have been a little too hard on Metallica. True, it sounds more like an Alice In Chains album then a Metallica album, but to paraphrase James Hetfield it was the album that Metallica needed to make so they could make Death Magnetic.

So, 5 years on, does St Anger still deserve the shun Metallica fans give it or has it redeemed itself!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Ahem... St. Anger is truly one of the most aurally displeasing, torturous disasterpieces of all time. I hated it so much that it caused me to punch my own mother in the back of the head for having birthed me unto a world that allows such horrors to exist.

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I hated it so much that it caused me to punch my own mother in the back of the head for having birthed me unto a world that allows such horrors to exist.

Wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

So. True, it sounds more like an Alice In Chains album then a Metallica album,

Wow wow ! Lets not get too generous now ! :D

I still think it's an unbelievably dire album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I'm an old school Metallica fan so the short answer from me is 'No, the reputation St. Anger has doesn't deserve to be revisited'.

For me, Metallica stopped being any good after the excellent Justice album. The so-called 'Black' album had a couple of good tunes and since then they've had maybe 2 good tunes across the whole range of albums released in that time (imo only).

I have sadly, fallen out of love with Metallica :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

True, it sounds more like an Alice In Chains album then a Metallica album

Really? First time I have ever heard that comparison, but I wouldnt ever think of describing it in that way!
    (I hate the album, and that's from listening to it a number of times as my housemate at the time insisted on giving it a longevity / familiarity test)
    There are about 2 riffs in the whole album that sound good, rest is absolute dire noise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ghetto Cornetto

The title track really, really had potential. But, like the rest of the album, it was marred by Ulrich's rampant battery of a plethora of empty tin cans.

I can also safely say that St. Anger had the word mixing/master process of any album I've ever heard. The "band in a garage" vibe that they were aiming for went completely over the sound desk's head, and they are just as much at fault as Metallica themselves.

Honestly, from any possible standpoint, this is a truly terrible album and deep down, Metallica know that too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I'm an old school Metallica fan................

Likewise.Everything after Justice was sh**e.

St Anger annoyed me on every level.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hyn-zie

it sounds more like an Alice In Chains album then a Metallica album, QUOTE]

Are you serious!!! This album doesn't come anywhere close to anything got to do with Alice In Chains!

This Album is Crap, Very Disappointed with it! Load and reload would get a listen before st anger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

With the exception of "St Anger", and "The Unnamed Feeling", the album has very few bright spots. Songs like Purify and Invisible Kid are sooooo bad, while the lyrics in Frantic are pure hopeless.

Im really glad that Lars was not given his way in letting the album be named "Frantic".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

True, it sounds more like an Alice In Chains album then a Metallica album

if aic were being sodomised by red hot pokers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

The album really is a sack of ****.......I gave it a good chance early on, and didn't think the title track was all that bad, but having revisited the album a couple of times since I really just can't stomach it at all........

having said that I really like the latest album, huge step up from St.Anger....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭ladystrange

After virtually totally avoiding at first I've been listening to it again recently, giving it a fair chance & I actually think its not that bad an album. Sure its in no league with Puppets or Ride the Lightening & Death Magnetic blows it away but I've found myself playing it more & more!! Just my own HO of course!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

to paraphrase James Hetfield it was the album that Metallica needed to make so they could make Death Magnetic

Death magnetic was bad too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

I actually like the song some kind of monster, other than that I thought the album had some potential but ended up sounding like a bad unfinished demo of of some nu-metal band.

I liked a few tunes from Death Magnetic but it's nowhere near as good as the old stuff but a step in the right direction if you ask me...I'll be interested in their next release, but honestly I think the need to take a few years off and spend a very large amount of time on a new record and possibly make it their last, would be nice to see them go out on a bang with a universally well-received album.

They definitely don't have many more albums left in them imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

The title track was OK, but I just didn't like the rest of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,702 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I'm an old school Metallica fan so the short answer from me is 'No, the reputation St. Anger has doesn't deserve to be revisited'.

For me, Metallica stopped being any good after the excellent Justice album. The so-called 'Black' album had a couple of good tunes and since then they've had maybe 2 good tunes across the whole range of albums released in that time (imo only).

I agree with all this except the last line.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

It's the one Metallica album that is torture to listen to in one sitting. Just can't stand the sound of the drums / tin cans. Having said that, there's a few good songs on it.

Personally, i like all of Metallica's other studio releases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

St Anger is a truly AWFUL album, but they had to make it to keep going as a band. IMO, Death Magnetic is no better. I can't listen to either album from start to finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Sweet Amber was an alright track....

..but the rest of the record is a bit ropey to say the least...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭sweatingbullets

the last two times i saw them they were absolutely terrible,nowhere near as powerhouse as they used to be and ive seen them 6 times,now its all about the money,no care for the music,i my friend are in total agreement puppets and justice was there pinnacle in terms of there metal years before selling out.to be honest i did buy st.anger because of all the hype but by the time i reached my house from the record shop i had thrown it out the car window the whole of five miles.......opening riff in frantic and the snare drum,no thanks id rather listen to abba.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Did y'all see Some Kind of Monster? It basically showed how they made and wrote this record. Basically they jammed some half assed riffs - said- that sounds good let's build a song around this , add some off the cuff lyrics, search for a cool song title for about 3 minutes and voila - St. Anger!

Don't have this or many of their recent albums - what I've heard of them makes me glad that I kept my dollars and not got ripped off like all those other mugs who are still trying to justify Metallica to themselves.

Metallica left the building in the early 90s - what we have now is some mutant bloodsucking cashhungry band that have locked up the real 'tallica. Like those aliens from the Simpsons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

This album would be a guilty pleasure if every track was cut in half.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

So, I was thinking recently (when I purchased a Digipak version of St Anger at a car boot sale in Edinburgh for 80p) that perhaps we have been a little too hard on Metallica. True, it sounds more like an Alice In Chains album then a Metallica album, but to paraphrase James Hetfield it was the album that Metallica needed to make so they could make Death Magnetic.

So, 5 years on, does St Anger still deserve the shun Metallica fans give it or has it redeemed itself!

Death Magnetic was a steaming pile of dog **** too

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lucifer31

Interesting that on their current World Magnetic tour, going by statistics I've been looking at, they've only played Frantic once, at one gig ! Once!! The St. Anger tune hasn't even had a look in. That says it all. They don't wanna play it and we don't wanna hear it.
    I listen to a LOT of metal written in the last 30 years, old and new, but St. Anger is very difficult for me to listen to throughout. A grower it ain't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Have to agree, last album I bought was Black. Have listened to Load and Re-Load but wouldn't be too bothered. Death Magnetic is ok but I wouldn't taint my post by mentioning the 'other album' here! Any gig I've seen them at the last few years they seem to be able to read the crowd and don't play much of this ****e anyhow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

Look St. anger is not and can never be deemed anywhere near average let alone the word beginning with g that I can't even type in the same post.

If you really must reappraise a metallica release try load.I hated it now I like it but hey I'm odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I think it is summed up by the fact that any of the recent (in the last year or 2) metallica gigs, the only album to have zero songs on the setlist was st anger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I don't think that the band did themselves any favours by trying to capture the recording of album on film.

SKOM really destroyed my 'idea' of what they were supposed to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭hexagramer

i for one on this thread choose to be the smarter type and look for the good in st anger.

i enjoy s.k.o.m, i think the unnamed feeling has a dark erie creepy feel when i hear its tones and i also enjoy the thrash parts envolved.

obviously shouldnt be compared to the likes of battery an justice etc

but for those of you out to bash this album - i take pride in knowing to look for the parts i like rather than be whingy about the parts i dont. kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭corkthai

i just cannot take to metallica ever again after some kind of monster....regardless of what material they bring out..

and those lyrics on the newish albums.....my god, a kid would come up with better....

Advertisement